Career advice - electrician

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 01:32 AM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru WRX 5-door
Career advice - electrician

Well, a few of you may possibly remember a post of mine a while back regarding the music and automotive industries... Most probably wont. It's funny how life throws you curveballs every once in a while.

So I went down to Wyotech in Fremont to check out the school, and look into both the mechanic program [$26k holy crap!?!] and the electrician program. My girlfriend convinced me to think about being an electrician, considering I have always been comfortable with wiring and math and stuff like that. I've been wiring my own stereos and building my own computers since I was in grade school, never thought twice about it.

Well, after touring the campus and being walked through the electrician program, everything just clicked and I realized this is what I was meant to do, and it will probably come naturally to me. Also, I eventually want to work for myself and own my own business, and this seems to be a pretty good field to do that in.

Now for the question/advice. I am getting a lot of mixed signals from friends and family. I don't want to go Union because I want to be an independent contractor eventually, so the union apprentice program is not an option. I have checked out Wyotech in Fremont [$19k tuition] and Institute for Business Technology in Santa Clara [$16k tuition]. These are both for-profit technical schools. I am going Tuesday to check out a non-profit outfit known as the Center for Employment Training http://www.cetweb.org/index.php and even their tuition is $11k. My family doesn't understand why I would need to pay so much money for technical school when I should just be able to learn on the job.
The thing is, in the past few years the state has passed new laws which govern how this process goes. Before I perform ANY work as an electrician trainee, I must be registered with the state as a Certified Electrician Trainee, and to do that I have to be enrolled in a school first. The state has a list of approved schools and that is what I am looking through, and there's not to many others in the south bay.

Ok, so heres my question really: Will completing [or at least enrolling and starting] one of these programs give me a big advantage when trying to find work as an electrician trainee? Should I try and find a company to hire me and help pay for my school? Could finishing the school first help my starting wage as a trainee?

Heres my other challenge - my current job as a bellman [union] at the doubletree near the airport pays a minimum of $17/hr after tips, usually more.
I can't realistically take a job that pays less than $15 an hour, and even that would be really pushing it, because I depend on the extra tips for going out to dinner, movies, entertainment, etc. At this point $17/hr pays my bills, debt, food, gas, with a TINY bit extra, but thats it. ANYWAY... these questions barely apply to people already in the field, and i'm getting way to specific.... and im rambling. Sorry.

So are these 6-9month expensive programs the best bet for me? Are there other options out there that I am missing? Should I try and find a company to take me in first, or go to school and use that to my advantage once I'm done?

Oh, important to note, my current job is evenings, and I have senority in the evenings, so I'm solid there until I get on my feet as an electrician. I could probably even do both for a short while but I am not to sure how I would juggle that, especially not for a long period of time. I am already committed to and have figured out how to go to school in the morning while keeping my current job, so that is no problem.

Thanks for any help and advice, and hopefully i didn't bore anyone to death.

Last edited by skaunit; 08-09-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:37 AM

Congrats on picking the right career path. There is so much more potential with being an electrician than an auto mechanic (sorry this may offend some here but it's the truth). I can't specifically answer your questions but those are all valid questions that I think can only be answer from either licensed electricians or electrical companies. You had listed some requirements from the state, call and find out as much information as possible.

The potential in this field is expanding rapidly with solar, home automation and home A/V. Establish yourself and expand, I had thoughts about making a career change into this field too.

If I may offer one bit of advice, do what you need to and follow through on this. Don't let your current job and financial need hinder your future. I've seen this too many times when someone is making, like in your case $17 and think they can't survive on $15 and don't go for something that will turn out much better. Borrow money, reduce your spending, move home, etc. In a few years, you could be making alot more than $17/hr.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:51 AM

Car Info: 06 GMC Diesel
My self and my Father are Union members, I'm 104 and hes 332 which Is the electrical union. My dad owned his own Electrical company for 18 years and finaly said forget it after all the people not paying him after jobs trying to find good stable workers... the list goes on, Its hard to start up a company and keep It going as long as he did.
When he shut It down in the summer of 99 he went straight to the 332 union hall and signed up, he stayed with 332 until 2006 then got a job with the city of San Jose, which Is something you should be at for your future, Unions are great and take care of their workers and IMO are a better shop then a non union one.
But then again Im biosed cuz Im a union member haha.

Good luck, Electricians will always be needed! perfect career choice.

Edit: If you join 332 you start In the apprentice program which Is free for the most part ( you pay like $20 - $30 per check ) and after 5 years your making top dollar and can never get paid lower then your classification, try and get that at a non union shop.

Last edited by 07wrx4life; 08-09-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:53 AM

Car Info: Nadda
IMO good choice as electricians will always be needed, especially again as stated above, much of the programs are expanding and will require technicians.

Unions:

IMO I dislike them. They take some of your money to "have your back" when necessary. They drive up the costs in America, they end up having some jobs that would be in America, but outsourced for cheaper labor. To me Unions add to the downturn of the dollar. They can ***** and whine about some people to change things, but then you just outsourced and wallah, the cause is fixed, but not really fixed. Just giving out our $$ to other countries.

If you do what you do good, you won't need a union to back you up. Plus you'll make more $$ maybe even cheaper and undercut the business. I really do promote personal accomplishments and personal gains. I hate havin' to work better than someone else and still get paid the same. If you're qualified, I guarantee someone will hire you, as you may be workin cheaper for a better job done.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:58 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
My brother is in his second year right now also and works in san mateo in the union. he comes home tired and drained from his long days at work. The money for the first 4 years sucks but after that you get $55hr. also with the economy in the crapper he work for a month and has like 2 off...
Old 08-09-2009, 11:06 AM

En3D - thanks for the advice... I guess I really have to figure out how to make it work. It's pretty funny that you say Solar, Home Automation, and Home A/V, because that EXACTLY what I want to specialize in and build my own business out of.

As far as Unions... I am in a union right now, and I can see how they do good. It's not as black and white as iLogin makes it seem, but as 04caliwrx states, the economy is making it very difficult to go that route, and it doesn't seem like the career path for me. I wish it were different, but oh well.

hoping for a few others to chime in here... any other ideas or options or paths I should look at? School first or try and find a company?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:19 AM

Some people just don't understand the idea of unions/minimum wage and why it destroys the dollar bill. Listen to some REASON. Make your judgment afterward.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited
There is another option, but it takes some real commitment on your part. The military has its own electricians. Specifically the Navy and Coast Guard both have the EM (electrician's mate) rating, as well as other similar ratings that cover basics of electrician's work. You can go active duty and really start bottom of the barrel, but have all your living expenses covered and have to work your way up. An active duty E4 lives rather comfortably here in the bay area, but it may force you to move. You can also go reserve where you can learn, stay in the area, and get paid some to learn/work while still retaining your current job. The reserve route would just require you go to basic training for 2 months and a school afterwards, so you would be looking at being away for probably 6 months. You shouldn't have any problem becoming a trainee going this route and they teach you everything and pay you for it.

The other option is calling up contractors and finding out what all your options are out there. Keep in mind that you should get a decent background in electrical theory and safety before you start work.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Car Info: DGM 14 BRZ
i know several IBEW electricians that did very well by going through the apprentice program,they are well taken care of with medical insurance,paid vacation and solid wages
and not in debt with school loans. going union gave them a MUCH better start

about 7 years ago I did alot of research into being an electrician with them but decided to go a different direction and went to sequoia wich is now wyotech,the school is a JOKE,dont waste your time and money. i could itemize the problems with that route but it would take hours so ill leave it at that. in hindsight i should've gone with them.

just like anything there are positive and negatives its not black and white with unions,read up about how tradesmen in other countrys that are not union are treated and how we were treated before unionizing ,its done a great deal of good protecting blue collar workers from corporate excessive greed and absurd lowballing.if we didnt have unions alot of us would be working for pennies a day in misrable conditions.

one thing though and dont take this wrong but your going to have to drop your excpected wage and be prepared to sweep floors and do jobs other than your long term goals for now untill you've got some time under your belt and experience,schools are not really going to get you to the point were you will just drop in making x-amount of $$ doing a specific job,my friends were residential wire nutters and the cleaning crew for a few years before they could move up stuff to think about.

cheers good luck
Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 PM

Well, the good thing is that from what I have heard, even the lowest trainees will get paid at least $15/hr, and after posting this I realized that if I end up in that position, I can always keep a few days a week at my current job to pad untill I work my way up.

Seqoia / Wyotech is off my list. I am thinking about IBT because their cheaper, but first I am going to check out the non-profit CET. The challenge is that I have to find a school on California's list of approved schools, and there aren't a whole lot of options in the south bay, or even lower east bay/penninsula. The CCOC has a program, but it is not approved by the state.

Anyway, over the next few days I will definitely have to make some calls and find out what contractors/companies are looking for, and willing to take on.

thanks for the info so far.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:08 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
Originally Posted by En3D
Congrats on picking the right career path. There is so much more potential with being an electrician than an auto mechanic (sorry this may offend some here but it's the truth). I can't specifically answer your questions but those are all valid questions that I think can only be answer from either licensed electricians or electrical companies. You had listed some requirements from the state, call and find out as much information as possible.

The potential in this field is expanding rapidly with solar, home automation and home A/V. Establish yourself and expand, I had thoughts about making a career change into this field too.

If I may offer one bit of advice, do what you need to and follow through on this. Don't let your current job and financial need hinder your future. I've seen this too many times when someone is making, like in your case $17 and think they can't survive on $15 and don't go for something that will turn out much better. Borrow money, reduce your spending, move home, etc. In a few years, you could be making alot more than $17/hr.

Good luck!
+1. A journeyman electrician can easily make deep into the 100k+ salary range. If your serious about being a electrician please look into the IBEW, it one of the best unions out there as far as pay and just quality of training no matter what craft you are. I see union and non union electricians all day everyday as contractors for my work (Shell oil refinery) and the quality and skill difference between a union trained craftsman and a non union is night and day. But wanting to be a part of the IBEW and getting a apprenticeship are two different things, I hear its pretty difficult. But its like anything else if you have the drive you will get it. Sometimes you can get certain companies to sponsor you into the union, I know Contra Costa Electric is our big union contractor maybe you could look into them. Best of luck my friend, Im a union pipefitter/welder so I understand.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:45 PM

contra costa anything is pretty legit. =D
Old 08-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by iLoqin
contra costa anything is pretty legit. =D
True that, I think those guys are the highest paid craftsmen in my refinery and they aren't even company guys.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
i have been an electrician for 8 yrs (in the valley) and it's a good trade but be ready for manual labor and electricians are fighting for work since there are quite a few of us so get into the union or get your trainee card.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by damianwrb07
i have been an electrician for 8 yrs (in the valley) and it's a good trade but be ready for manual labor and electricians are fighting for work since there are quite a few of us so get into the union or get your trainee card.
Ha! Manual labor? I raff out roud everytime I see you guys working, all clean coveralls and shiza. What the most physical thing you do? Operate a air tugger to pull wire through conduit? You got a sweet gig my friend don't forget it.

Quick Reply: Career advice - electrician