Career Advice: Getting screwed at work... give 2 week notice or not???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 05:20 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Career Advice: Getting screwed at work... give 2 week notice or not???

Summary: (lack of specific detail on purpose =)

Started in 2000 with General BS degree at LARGE Bay Area Tech Co.
Weathered the downturn, with little pay increase.
2004, finished MBA from local well known college. No pay raise. Field is Marketing.

Boss complains he hasn't had a raise in 4 yrs whenever I ask for one.

With future career, burning bridges, and all that in mind, should I give the international salute and leave, or give 2 wks? Either way, it will undermine the validity of the group when I depart.

I've got an offer at a startup, but not sure it's worth the risk (house payment, etc).
Not much to make me stay though. Like the job, but will ruin my career if I stay at that pay.

Advice?

Last edited by HellaDumb; 06-28-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
It's up to you whether to leave. But I would give the 2wks if you do.

It's hard to see what can bite you in the *** in the future.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:32 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

2 week notice is customary so when your future employer calls your past employer, they wont rag-*** on you...

i learned, never burn the bridge, unless the current employer suck ***...
Old 06-28-2005, 05:42 PM

well you can pull a pre-bubble burst move and just tell your current employer that you love the job, but you cant pass up an offer that youve recieved at another company. It will basically signal your intent to leave so youll have to leave if they wont budge. They may then offer you more money to stay or wish you well on your way when you give them two weeks.

In other words.. dont ask for more money directly.. Just say that you have recieved an offer from a company and that shows promise and offers a more competitive salary.

Ted-
Old 06-28-2005, 05:47 PM

Car Info: GDA
^^^ that probably won't work as the (job) market isn't at its greatest right now. i think you really have to compare both jobs to see what offers more, both financially and otherwise.

if you've got a house payment, it behooves you to critically analyze this before you take the next step.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
If you do decide to leave give the 2 week notice just to be safe. Don't want to blow a fuse and potentially risk a bad reputation with any other employer. Don't be "that guy."

Maybe you can talk to other employees at this other place that have the position you want? Pick their brains to see if it's worth the move.

When you make more than your old boss and colleagues you can mail them a photocopy of your check and a "****-off" post-it.

Last edited by Salty; 06-28-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:50 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
start ups are risky. Unless it's got some serious benefits going on I wouldn't risk it. I know a few people that have been burned by jumping on start ups...but then again..reward can be huge.

It's not just pay you have to take into account. It's job enjoyment. Benefits. Location. Future. Etc.

With a degree you have more power. You can hold out for something you'd really like and keep this crappy job for the time being.

Really up to you.

Just remember..in companies that are having a hard time financially...a lot of the time they won't backfill a lost member.....coming back to this current job will be likely impossible. Even if you leave on great terms.

Think this through. Then go with your gut.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:51 PM

Car Info: 2.5RS STI swapped
Crap man, I gave 2 weeks and some of the managers still hate me! After 5 years of service and a great relationship some of them are just well i guess he really was a **** It's sad. Had I known I would have just left.

However! With startups you never really know and you may end up wanting your job back. Just be careful. And good luck!

cheers

garrett
Old 06-28-2005, 06:04 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
i'd say give your notice if you are not happy there.
Especially if you work in marketing, how can you be motivated if they don't show you the appreciate you? Thats how I look at it.

I gave notice at my job last week because it is just getting too old. No new challenges, no meaningful goals.

Sometimes you have to take chances in life, if the startup has decent funding and its at least a bit more money then what you are making now, I say go for it.

Last edited by mattsn0w; 06-28-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:17 PM

Car Info: GDA
Funding can get yanked pretty fast as well...that's where experienced leadership comes in. Anyhow, I wouldn't risk it...at least not until you have really decided that the start-up is a sound career move.

I think at it's core, this decision should really come down to whta makes more sense for you career wise. Start-ups come and go, but if you can get the experience that your resume lacks and the challenges interest you, go for it. If not, a mediocre job at a stable institution is a good place to hide out until you find a better opportunity.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:40 PM

i stand by my previous advice..
if you are going to leave anyway.. if youve decided that you arent happy at your current employer or the money is just not satisfactory youd be better off giving your employer the option of trying to keep you rather than just telling them to *** off.. even if its attached to two weeks of work.

The job market isnt the best.. but it is in fact improving. Differerent people judge the improvement in different ways. I tend to avoid listening to politicians as they are all a**e*. Recently the calls from companies and recruiters has started to get annoying again.. at the very least I am contacted once per month and at the most its a couple of times per week. I have not posted my resume in abotu 2 years.

I left my last company that was the market leader in thier segment and joined a startup who is doing very well. its always a risk and life is a risk..
what you really have to decide is.. if i take a risk and in the next year i lose my job, will I be able to find another one within a reasonable amount of time.

If you dont take the risk.. you may save yourself a little grief.. but youll also continue to live with the substandard wages that you obviously have a problem with. In addition to that.. many companies that dont give thier employees raises for years expecto have a turnaround based on that.. and have decided thier financial future is more secure by depriving thier employees and having them either leave or be paranoid that the market isnt good than keeping them happy.

if your company is being that cheap, they might be more likely to let you go anyway. Most investors are alot more sane and picky about who they lend money to these days.. and youve average startup has had to prove the viability of thier product to a greater extent now than they would have had to during the boom. If they make thier second round funding.. either they have dumb investors.. or they are a promising company. thats where your good judgement comes in..

sorry for the run-on sentences.

Ted-
By the way I work in the Technology (Internet Security sector)

Last edited by tedshred; 06-28-2005 at 06:42 PM. Reason: adding some notes.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:27 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Marketing is tough. Everyone hates you, me too.

Look at the startup, does it look sound? Just because it's a start up doesn't make it bad, but see if you can read the business plan. If it is sound, then why not?

If you have a family, then I would look more carefully at working for a startup.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:12 PM

dman work

Man, that's a tough situation...

Any way you cut it, you should give 2 weeks...especially considering that you have worked there for a while and its in your best interest to leave in a civil manner...for recomendations and such.

You never know...if you give 2 weeks they want to keep you enough to give you a raise...Its real doubtful that your boss hasn't actually had a raise in 4 years unless your working for a bs company. If you don't get a raise every year, you make less due to inflation...

Whether you should switch the job, my advice would be look at how long you can sustain yourself without any income or with minimal income. That will at least give you some freedom to look for another job if you leave and the startup doesn't cut it either. If you can't give yourself AT LEAST 6 months to look for another job, its probably a pretty risky thing to do.

Keep your head up...lots of people are getting new jobs in the bay area right now. Good luck....
Old 06-28-2005, 11:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I'd give 2 weeks, even though the international salute would be more fun, sometimes you just gotta suck it up, and be mature and boring
Old 06-28-2005, 11:55 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
if you stay the two weeks then you dont burn your bridges as everyone has said.

if you dont give them 2 weeks notice, you might as well just pretend you never worked there before, because you're probably not going to want to put them on your resume as references, nor will they give you very good reviews if they are ever contacted about you.

i say if you've got a good job offer lined up and ready for you now, then screw the 2 weeks and start your new job. if you just want to quit and get ready for your next career move, i'd stay the two weeks just to be safe. (again as many have said already =P)

Quick Reply: Career Advice: Getting screwed at work... give 2 week notice or not???