Blown motor for the WIN!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:16 PM

Car Info: '12 TSX 6MT/'01 E39 wagon/'67 VW on E85/'93 M900
You are over-thinking this. You don't need a built motor unless you are planning on doing lots of track days and spending alot more money on other parts to make more power. Our motors are strong, they just have weak pistons and won't tolerate knock. Chances are, something got funky at some point, engine knocked badly, ringland cracked. It could have been done before you bought the car.

Just have Subaru replace your engine, you shouldn't have a problem with that.

If you are going to have an engine built, just go with something that's proven to work. Every builder has a proven recipe, just trust the builder. Be honest though with what you intend to do with the engine so it can be set up properly (things like cams, tolerances, ring gap, etc).

Stan

Last edited by stan_t; 03-21-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
Also the 2007 Sti blow all the time! I am still yet to see one with over 60k on a stock engine
Could be a few things contributing other than pistons, like taller gearing, pig-nose front end limiting air flow, ECUs needing to be tuned differently than earlier years'..

Stan
Old 03-21-2011, 07:49 PM

Car Info: 1975 Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by brucelee
I do want an EVO really badly, but they still cost $35k and right now it's a tad difficult for me to justify the $15k extra (after selling my STi). If I could straight swap for an EVO I'd do it in a second, but as much as I love that car I also love my STi... I never said I didn't like my STi, I love it... But I think I'm ready for something a little different but still in the same realm (turbo, AWD, small) and since I've loved EVO's since I first started liking cars it seemed like a good idea. Then I did the math and the $15k difference didn't sound so appealing so I decided to stick with the car for now until my financial situation is a bit better (We just spent a lot of a trip to Europe for a month... A long overdue honeymoon actually. Her idea, I'm all for it and that's one of the reasons I decided to postpone the purchase of the EVO.)

I still plan on getting an EVO, just not right this second... In a couple years I'll be driving an EVO, or so is the plan. There are a lot of variables and you guys don't know about a lot of them so I can see how it would be confusing. I apologize for not being SUPER clear.
wait and see if mitsu officially kills it, last i heard they were "moving it in a different direction".. it will make it a cult classic and keep prices high, or hopefully turn it into a damn great car no one cares about so prices dip super low.. ala the DSM days of the GSX and galant Vr4.. 4g63 awd turbos stock! doubt it though, EVO had a more staple in the japanese sports car history.. oh well i can hope.. so itoo can afford one.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 PM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
Originally Posted by stan_t
Could be a few things contributing other than pistons, like taller gearing, pig-nose front end limiting air flow, ECUs needing to be tuned differently than earlier years'..

Stan
WOW, yet another tool.......
Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
Would you say this to his face? I think not.

i-club is a community as well as a forum, and the basic rule of thumb is that you shouldn't post comments you wouldn't say to someone's face.

I know you like i-club, your high post count compared to your very short time here shows that, but you really need to tone it down a little bit if you want to stick around...try and be a good contributor, not a borderline troll.

Thanks for listening
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 PM

Car Info: WRB 03(sold) AW 03(sold) 02 Taco!
^ I'd have to agree Stan has always been nothing but cavalier on the forums, and always been a great help when I've asked him questions.

Seriously though Dan, why not just run a forged piston. I wouldn't worry about building it up too much, since you just daily drive it. The pistons seem to be a weak point in these cars anyways.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 PM

Car Info: wrx02
Fix and sell. Honestly, if I'm in your shoes, I would just fix it under warranty. And consider getting a hybrid or small car for dd. Save for a fun weekend car. Gas price is horrible for premium....
Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
Why do you think the '07 STis fail? My friend's did, my car is putting down same power or more and hasn't yet.

Dumbass troll lol.

Stan

Last edited by stan_t; 03-21-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 PM

Car Info: .
Another BL thread full of flip flopping, odd behavior and his horse**** being torpedoed.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:53 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
How much would an STI with a toasted motor sell for?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
How much would an STI with a toasted motor sell for?
I'd say the car is worth around 23-24k, and minus the motor which would cost around 4k with labor and service if you got a good deal, so like 17k?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:14 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Pricing
Rough Trade-In : $19,650
Trade-In Average : $20,925
Trade-In Clean : $21,950
Clean Retail : $25,050

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2007/...dard-Equipment
Old 03-21-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by STiForFun
Pricing
Rough Trade-In : $19,650
Trade-In Average : $20,925
Trade-In Clean : $21,950
Clean Retail : $25,050

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2007/...dard-Equipment
Yeah, that's spot on.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 PM

Car Info: 07 Shaguar
Question: Why did you get the car reflashed back to STOCK when your AP was stolen? You already had a tune to save your motor from blowing. That's the reason for the 07 plague

Last edited by dippedinsauce; 03-21-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM

Long story but it was due to a stupid idea I had to install a bigger TMIC as well as a few other mods... The stock STi I/C had a crack in the end tank and the car was running like crap so I thought I'd bring it back to stock to see if it would fix anything, then I discovered that it was the I/C but by then I had the stock ECU, then I ended up just replacing the STi I/C with a new one and the new AP + other mods took a back seat and the car hasn't really been driven much since then. Maybe 4k miles in the last year.

Prolly more like 6-7k actually now that I think about it... It's not fun to drive with the stock map. I was burning an insane amount of oil but everyone says "Oh, that's normal". I switched to better oil and it stopped for a while, then it started burning through even the best oil, so who knows what the problem really was. I always kept a 5l bottle of Total oil in my trunk so when I filled up I'd top off my oil. This happen to anyone else? I started being able to smell the oil at one point.

(PS: My jaw hurts so much... How long does wisdom tooth pain last? Got it removed like 32 hours ago and my face is swollen as hell and the pain is incredibly intense. I wouldn't normally take the meds they gave me but the pain is intolerable. Please tell me it gets better soon! I figure this thread is so off topic and all over the place that we could discuss teeth while we're at it. )

Last edited by brucelee; 03-21-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Blown motor for the WIN!