Blown motor for the WIN!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Thumbs down Blown motor for the WIN!

2007 STi with around 42k miles, the car is stock in terms of the motor with zero mods, however I do have suspension mods as well as a cat back (for noise, lol).

Here's what happened:

About a month ago I get the infamous 2007 STi CEL with a detonation code in cyl #3. A quick hookup to the OBDII and I cleared it... At first it seemed fine as it was the first CEL I've ever had in this car in all 42k miles. The CEL came on again after a few hundred miles, I checked the code and it was the same. I checked my oil levels and made sure the #3 spark plug connector was on and that nothing was weird (Check the simple stuff first). I avoided driving the car and let it sit for a while (couple weeks and would only take it out if I had to go somewhere and then Id even limp it but that only happened once.

FST FWD to last night... I get in the car, turn it on and BAM, CEL comes on again. I hook up my OBDII reader and see it's the same code, which sucked because I thought maybe I had fixed it by changing the oil, resetting the ECU, spark plug wire and plug check as well as a bunch of other crap I checked.

Anyway, I clear the CEL and restart the car... As soon as I do I can hear the car knocking pretty friggin loudly at idle, and right after I head a bunch of small detonation noises so I immediately killed it... I open my oil cap to see if there is smoke or anything coming out and sure enough it was. Lucky I was right in front of my house so I just turned it off and kept it in my driveway. The motor may not be fully blown at this point but it's just a matter of time. I'm afraid to even start it.

Here's my question to you: I bought my car with the standard SOA warranty, but I believe the drivetrain (covers motor) should be covered until 50k? Right?
I haven't modded the engine and I'm sure I have one of the "bad batches" of pistons that the 2007 was notorious for.

Who's better for this kind of thing? Capitol Subaru or Steven's Creek?

Last edited by brucelee; 03-21-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:04 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
If you have a warranty why didn't you take it to the dealer when you got your first CEL?

If the warranty is still good take it to Stevens Creek. Based on my experiences and what I have seen happen to others, Stevens Creek is the better of the two.

If you are out of warranty, go to GST. I have a feeling you'd be leaning towards GST anyway.

Are you sure the car was completely unmolested when you got it?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
If you have a warranty why didn't you take it to the dealer when you got your first CEL?

If the warranty is still good take it to Stevens Creek. Based on my experiences and what I have seen happen to others, Stevens Creek is the better of the two.

If you are out of warranty, go to GST. I have a feeling you'd be leaning towards GST anyway.

Are you sure the car was completely unmolested when you got it?
Car was untouched minus a bunch of lame *** stereo crap they they installed in it. The car was barely driven when I got it and I had it inspected by GST... They determined that the motor was fine was the turbo as well as other parts hadn't been removed. The only part I've replaced is the TMIC, and it's been swapped with a stock unit (long story). Otherwise the motor has never had any issues.

I didn't take it to the dealer because it was the cyl 3 det code, and about a thousand miles before I got it I had brand new spark plugs installed (had my 50k maint done at 40k (All fluids replaced with top end synthetics, spark plugs, and all regular 50k stuff. I did it early to prevent wear and tear but that sure didn't happen.

When I checked the code I cleared it with the OBDII reader. The light didn't come back on for well over 300 miles and I figured it was due to the spark plugs since I just had new ones put on but that wasn't the case obviously.

There was a batch of 2007's that came with incorrectly cast pistols and I'm pretty friggin sure my car is one of those. I wish there was some way to check via VIN. I'll probably have it towed to Steven's Creek since I at least know a couple people there, never been to capitol.

I've been trying to get it fixed or at least looked at by schedule conflicts pwn me on both sides (me and shops)
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
I believe your standard coverage is up until 60k for an sti...return it to stock as far as performance wise as much as you can, so that they do not void your claim, because if they can find anything to blame you for it, they probably will. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Javirex23
I believe your standard coverage is up until 60k for an sti...return it to stock as far as performance wise as much as you can, so that they do not void your claim, because if they can find anything to blame you for it, they probably will. Good luck.
Yeah, the motor is stock and always has been... Probably why it blew up actually. My other mods have nothing to do with the motor (seats, cat back, suspension and structural support mods)

Damn, maybe I should have taken the $21k that capitol Mitsu offered me a few weeks ago! lol They wanted it "as is" and offered to sell me an EVO X (2011) for 500 under invoice. Now I'm really kicking myself for not trading! I knew this motor was a ticking time bomb! dammit!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:40 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
You might want to flash the ECM back to stock before you take it in
Old 03-21-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lowend
You might want to flash the ECM back to stock before you take it in
It's always been stock.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Javirex23
Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 AM

time to get the evo you've always dreamed about
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 AM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Standard warranty on an STI is 5years 60k for powertrain, 3 years 36k for everything else (Just checked my paperwork from when I bought it).

The problem with getting Subaru to warranty this is you have to prove that you are burning more then a certain amount of oil/mileage and they are just going to replace the pistons with the same thing. Cracked ring lands are very hard to get Subaru to admit to and warranty (from all the horror stories I've read).

Your best bet is to get it properly done by one of our local shops. Even if its just a basic build with new pistons and rods you are far better off imo.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 AM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
If they do not cover it, just call SOA. They are all about customer service and it should be covered until 60k. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 AM

I have all the documents when I got my oil changed and stuff (receipts and such since SOA tried to screw me over once before for something similar on my RS, motor blew at 90k, same scenario... Spun a rod).

If SOA covers the motor I'm going to sell the STi, if not I'm going to DB tuned and getting a new motor built and will keep the STi since it will come out of my pocket. If they replace the pistons I wont get the crappy 07 incorrectly cast pistons that the car came with (Subaru changed the pistons due to faulty casting through one of their companies, they discontinued their business with that factory so it shouldn't be an issue for any other year).

Just sucks, def sucks.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by iDriveMyi
If they do not cover it, just call SOA. They are all about customer service and it should be covered until 60k. Good luck!
Oh, I plan on it.

I'm leaving for Germany on the 21st of May so if Subaru wont do anything I'll have Paul build a shortblock (built one) for me and we'll go from there... It would be ideal to drop the car off during my trip since I'm gonna be gone for a month. I figure when I get back I'll have a new motor and a car that drives! Who woulda thought?

I really hope SOA covers this so I can get rid of the damn car already and get the EVO that I've wanted since I was in HS (Well, I want an EVO X now, back then I wanted an EVO III! ) Just cuz I have an EVO doesn't mean I wont go to BAMs or post on i-club anymore.

You guys are what make i-club what it is, not your car.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Don't forget to update that sale thread with this new info.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by soggynoodles
Don't forget to update that sale thread with this new info.
Well, if I get the new motor through SOA some lucky individual is going to get an STi with a brand new motor for a really good price.

Quick Reply: Blown motor for the WIN!