Blown motor for the WIN!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:11 AM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
You really think they are going to replace the whole motor? If your lucky they will replace the bad piston and ring and call it good. That's what they do, waist of time. Most people that have SOA fix the problem it happens again because they don't do it right. Good luck, better off getting a built motor and turn the boost up and have some fun!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
You really think they are going to replace the whole motor? If your lucky they will replace the bad piston and ring and call it good. That's what they do, waist of time. Most people that have SOA fix the problem it happens again because they don't do it right. Good luck, better off getting a built motor and turn the boost up and have some fun!
Well, pretty sure the whole motor is going to go soon if it hasn't already (well, the bottom end), not just #3. The sounds I heard sounded like f'ing metal being washed in a washing machine. Pretty sure it's f'ed throughout.

Almost the same thing happened to my RS and they replaced the entire block because it was cheaper. (Everything got ****ed up... Once you introduce pieces of metal into the motor you're pretty much f'ed)
Old 03-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Car Info: 1993.5 toyota supra, 05 AW Sti
Take off your exhaust they will hassle you over it... Any warranty issue they will try to blame it on that
Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 AM

The cat back does NOTHING to change the performance of the car... ZERO. They know this. If it were a turbo back or something else then I'd be concerned but it's not so it's no prob. No one but the cops will bug you for your catback.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM

I'm just saying I use to work at chevy and they denied stuff over the stupidest crap just throwing it out there maybe they won't care.. I hope all goes well for you cause that does suck =[
Old 03-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 06stibeast
I'm just saying I use to work at chevy and they denied stuff over the stupidest crap just throwing it out there maybe they won't care.. I hope all goes well for you cause that does suck =[
I appreciate the advice. If SOA voids my warranty over a catback, there will be hell to pay.

*Arms C-RAM*

Old 03-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by brucelee
Well, pretty sure the whole motor is going to go soon if it hasn't already (well, the bottom end), not just #3. The sounds I heard sounded like f'ing metal being washed in a washing machine. Pretty sure it's f'ed throughout.

Almost the same thing happened to my RS and they replaced the entire block because it was cheaper. (Everything got ****ed up... Once you introduce pieces of metal into the motor you're pretty much f'ed)
They will only replace the pistons. They also did not change the pistons, which is why the 08, 09 and even some of the 10 STI's have the same problem.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 AM

Haha good to hear again good luck! Keep us updated
Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
We rarely replace just the pistons. That's all I have to say about that.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 AM

Car Info: 05 Aspen Wagon
Sounds exactly like what my friend's 05 STi is doing...he was driving the other night and heard a BANG, and his car stalled out...got it towed home and it's been sitting in front of his house for the past couple of days...Probably going to get it to GST and see what is needed...

Update with findings! =)
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 AM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by Unit 91
We rarely replace just the pistons. That's all I have to say about that.
Thats good to hear, seems like you guys are a different case then most.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Originally Posted by brucelee
It's always been stock.
https://www.i-club.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=39

hahah, yeah, I used to be way into it, knew every part number by heart pretty much when I had my RS... then a few years into i just lost it. Now I just drive my car.

All I have is exhaust, Cobb APv2, + Tune from GST

That's not including any suspension mods... Or any other mods of that matter. With this power I'm already going way too fast, I don't need a car that gets me in more trouble and eats more gas so I'm at a good point. I wouldn't mind adding like 50 more HP but that comes later.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by 06stibeast
In CA, they can only void on parts that were directly changed, or they can prove were affected by the change. In this case, a catback can not affect ping/knock, therefor if they do try and kick it back, They will end up with HUGE fines and still having to replace it.

About the ONLY thing in CA I like...our consumer protection is #1, manufactures and dealers have about zip when it comes to rights here.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:47 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Yeah I though so.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:52 AM

That was a diff car. JK, looks like I'm going to DB tuned... I want to keep the STi really badly and I don't want a stock motor. I'm going to see what I can do with my budget because a built motor sounds really awesome.

The only reason I don't have any major motor mods is due to the law (tired of getting pulled over) as well as the fact that the stock motor SUCKS. Yeah, i said it. The stock tune was so horrible that the car was detonating with NO mods what so ever. It wasn't until I heard about how bad the 07's were in terms of tuning that I realized what a bad idea it would be to keep the stock ECU... I know the 07's had issues and I wish I would have done more to prevent this (like when I had down time and money I could have just rebuilt the motor when I had a chance to and could have had a lot more HP and a lot more reliable, but I decided to stay pretty stock and that was my mistake, Damn this 07! I gave it nothing but the best treatment in terms of oils and maint...

I've owned 3 Subarus, and in those subies I've gone through 2 trannys and 2 motors... Both of which were stock in every way. When the RS motor blew it was Subaru's fault (even though they tried to play it off as if it were my fault at first, they said I didn't change my oil every 3k miles but I had ever damn receipt from when I had the oil changes done (receipts of me buying oil, filter, etc... I kept a log of everything). Eventually they gave me a new motor, not just new pistons.

I don't know WTF Subaru was thinking when they made the 07 for CA specifically... Our gas and our tune SUCKS really badly. My AP was stolen over a year ago and the car has had the stock ECU flash for as long as I remember.

Last edited by brucelee; 03-21-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Blown motor for the WIN!