AUDT: BAIC thoughts on the BRZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 07:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by earlyapex
I agree with most of your points in your post but this one is molded a bit to fit your point.

You forgot to mention that the SCC MR2 was modified and turbocharged with 100whp and 83wtq more than stock: Toyota MR-2 and Lotus Elise - Sport Compact Car
I guess I conveniently forgot that they turbocharged it. I knew they modded it extensively with suspension/bracing and that the Elise was stock, but did not mention those things because I thought it odd to suggest an Elise (or an Exige?) as a comparable alternative to a BRZ. Also - I need to read it again, but IIRC, the Toyota was around half the cost even with the work, of the stock Lotus. It was not as composed but was able to produce similar performance figures with the same drivers. Indeed it did have more power, but it also weighed more.

You are right, I left out some details that seemed to make my point. The Lotus is definitely the superior car, but it also costs much more. I have owned/commuted in a 2002 MR-2 Spyder, and spent a good amount of time on tracks (mostly T-Hill) in 2 of the cars. Done a bit of driving in an Elise 190 in the UK and a standard Elise here and they are incredible, but the Toyotas are a ton of fun as well - more scrappy. I guess I thought, for this thread, there was no point in the Lotus (IMHO).

If anyone were given the choice to have either car for free, it would be the Lotus, which is probably obvious - even if it were just because it sounds cooler to have a Lotus.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Yeah... that's really all it is when it comes to these cars... what are they, what are their potential and what are you going to do about it.

In my book... I'll never have a stock car.... ever. So as my budget changes and I get different cars those cars will be modded as well. Just because I don't have the budget for a GT3 right now doesn't mean I never will. And if I do have that budget I'll have the budget to slap different wheels on it and make other upgrades as well.

It's that age old argument...

This car cost $10k and I put $10k in to it and it outperformed this other car that was $40k or whatever. Well that person would just say... well if I put $10k into my $40k car it would outperform your car.

Question is... are you going to do it.

And the real question is.... for $28k can you get a better NEW RWD sports car than the BRZ/FRS as a stand alone platform or a base to modify? And do you like it?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
lol the new miatas are asking around the same price as the brz/frs right?
Old 01-02-2014, 10:04 AM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Yeah... that's really all it is when it comes to these cars... what are they, what are their potential and what are you going to do about it.

In my book... I'll never have a stock car.... ever. So as my budget changes and I get different cars those cars will be modded as well. Just because I don't have the budget for a GT3 right now doesn't mean I never will. And if I do have that budget I'll have the budget to slap different wheels on it and make other upgrades as well.

It's that age old argument...

This car cost $10k and I put $10k in to it and it outperformed this other car that was $40k or whatever. Well that person would just say... well if I put $10k into my $40k car it would outperform your car.

Question is... are you going to do it.

And the real question is.... for $28k can you get a better NEW RWD sports car than the BRZ/FRS as a stand alone platform or a base to modify? And do you like it?
Base 370z with dealer incentives are around 27k ATM for MY13 as the MY14s are now available.

2.0T Genesis coupe is essentially the power level in brakes/suspension trim the FRS/BRZ should have had from the factory for less than 26k

There's a new Mustang around the corner with a 2.3 Ecoboost option ~300hp and 32 mpg for around 28k

IF ToyoBaru decides to eventually ADD power and engine options like a turbo FA20 like the new WRX, then they would have conceded that the car need more power to compete or keep up with the competition. Even if they dont raise peak power past say 210-220 hp the Tq and engine response goes WAYYYY up and it would be able to climb hills with a tq ~185-200lb-ft
Old 01-02-2014, 11:06 AM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
I think the car is cool, never drove it but they do look good, everyone has their flavors and tastes...

One observation from my end... I see way more FRS's! I seriously have seen maybe a handful of BRZ's out there... seems like the FRS is all over the place though!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:10 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
I think the numbers work out to 1 brz is made for every 10. ::shrugs::
Old 01-02-2014, 01:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
Base 370z with dealer incentives are around 27k ATM for MY13 as the MY14s are now available.

2.0T Genesis coupe is essentially the power level in brakes/suspension trim the FRS/BRZ should have had from the factory for less than 26k

There's a new Mustang around the corner with a 2.3 Ecoboost option ~300hp and 32 mpg for around 28k

IF ToyoBaru decides to eventually ADD power and engine options like a turbo FA20 like the new WRX, then they would have conceded that the car need more power to compete or keep up with the competition. Even if they dont raise peak power past say 210-220 hp the Tq and engine response goes WAYYYY up and it would be able to climb hills with a tq ~185-200lb-ft

No way in hell would I drive a mustang. ESPECIALLY a base model. That is NOT a better car than the BRZ at anything.

Genesis. Yeah it's cheaper. BRZ/FRS is a better car. Genesis isn't all that much cheaper either.

You could say the miata as well... but it's a convertible and the FRS/BRZ is a better car in most every aspect.

370Z... you're comparing a year old "new" car with a new new car. I'm sure with incentives and things like that IF they were around that long you could get the FRS/BRZ for less too. I am pretty much looking at retail prices. And that car. The Z has more power but it also weighs more. I'd rather have the BRZ. Track performance is in the BRZ/FRS favor. Looks are in the BRZ/FRS behavior. Interior... I kinda like the BRZ better but the Z is more refined with some better materials.

All in all... I don't think it's a better car and realistically... it's more expensive.

The genesis is probably the closest comparison and I'd still rather have an FRS or BRZ. The genesis has more ponies but it's also turbo and in my opinion just doesn't have great build quality. I'd rather start with a better vehicle and do a few things to get a few more HP out of it. Even at 250 hp the BRZ is dramatically better.

I'd really like to see them come out with something with a bit more punch as the rest of the car is spot on.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:37 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by RU-X
I think the numbers work out to 1 brz is made for every 10. ::shrugs::
Yeah... it was part of the agreement. I think it's more like 8/1 but still. Same difference. Lots more FRS's.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:59 PM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I guess I conveniently forgot that they turbocharged it. I knew they modded it extensively with suspension/bracing and that the Elise was stock, but did not mention those things because I thought it odd to suggest an Elise (or an Exige?) as a comparable alternative to a BRZ. Also - I need to read it again, but IIRC, the Toyota was around half the cost even with the work, of the stock Lotus. It was not as composed but was able to produce similar performance figures with the same drivers. Indeed it did have more power, but it also weighed more.

You are right, I left out some details that seemed to make my point. The Lotus is definitely the superior car, but it also costs much more. I have owned/commuted in a 2002 MR-2 Spyder, and spent a good amount of time on tracks (mostly T-Hill) in 2 of the cars. Done a bit of driving in an Elise 190 in the UK and a standard Elise here and they are incredible, but the Toyotas are a ton of fun as well - more scrappy. I guess I thought, for this thread, there was no point in the Lotus (IMHO).

If anyone were given the choice to have either car for free, it would be the Lotus, which is probably obvious - even if it were just because it sounds cooler to have a Lotus.
Yea I agree with you again. I just wanted to point out that detail because I didn't want people thinking they could go buy a used stock MR2 Spyder for $6,000 and be busting up an Elise on track.

I actually really like the FRS/BRZ. I understand what the car is about and what it's for. I really do. If I had a little extra money I would get one as an additional car. Even though I know what the car is for and about, I couldn't have it as my only car, mainly because of room and lack of power, but I am slightly skewed in that dept because I own a 500hp Evo 8 and a 400hp Evo 10.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Yea I agree with you again. I just wanted to point out that detail because I didn't want people thinking they could go buy a used stock MR2 Spyder for $6,000 and be busting up an Elise on track.

I actually really like the FRS/BRZ. I understand what the car is about and what it's for. I really do. If I had a little extra money I would get one as an additional car. Even though I know what the car is for and about, I couldn't have it as my only car, mainly because of room and lack of power, but I am slightly skewed in that dept because I own a 500hp Evo 8 and a 400hp Evo 10.
Makes sense... It's worth-while to clarify that about the MR2. Regarding the BRZ, I would like to check one out myself. Just need to make sure a Recaro kid seat fits in the back. I spent some quality time in a FRS when I was having my commuter serviced, and I really like it so far without having driven it yet.

And.. Can I get a ride?!? Holy crap that must be fun!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:05 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
The new Mustang will have IRS and much better build quality as it will now be a Gloabl model and platform.

The Genesis Coupe I agree is the closest vehicle to it and saying it has poor build quality with out first hand experience is like interwebs bench racing.
I personally own a Genesis and my cousin owns an FRS while her sister's BF owns a BRZ.
There have been many things that broke off or are issues with BOTH their cars than I can count., while I have never had anything go bad at triple their mileage. 22k vs. ~8k each.

Shifter trim part cracked while shifting on freeway on the FRS, dealer replaced part

Trunk open button stopped working after 1500 miles, bad wiring harness behind button, dealer replaced. I was there laughing at them but then realized they had my beers/ korean bbq ribs in there so the joke was on me

Left tailight developed a bad seal and had bad condesation in the BRZ, dealer repaired under warranty

Thats all I can remember ATM and those cars are not even 12mos old yet while Ive had my genesis since feb '12.
Only thing dealer did was updated software for cold weather starts, though it doesnt matter since it doesnt get below 10 where I live.

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
No way in hell would I drive a mustang. ESPECIALLY a base model. That is NOT a better car than the BRZ at anything.

Genesis. Yeah it's cheaper. BRZ/FRS is a better car. Genesis isn't all that much cheaper either.

You could say the miata as well... but it's a convertible and the FRS/BRZ is a better car in most every aspect.

370Z... you're comparing a year old "new" car with a new new car. I'm sure with incentives and things like that IF they were around that long you could get the FRS/BRZ for less too. I am pretty much looking at retail prices. And that car. The Z has more power but it also weighs more. I'd rather have the BRZ. Track performance is in the BRZ/FRS favor. Looks are in the BRZ/FRS behavior. Interior... I kinda like the BRZ better but the Z is more refined with some better materials.

All in all... I don't think it's a better car and realistically... it's more expensive.

The genesis is probably the closest comparison and I'd still rather have an FRS or BRZ. The genesis has more ponies but it's also turbo and in my opinion just doesn't have great build quality. I'd rather start with a better vehicle and do a few things to get a few more HP out of it. Even at 250 hp the BRZ is dramatically better.

I'd really like to see them come out with something with a bit more punch as the rest of the car is spot on.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:22 PM

pretty sure fr-s is double production of brz and that was only for 2013.

Anyway if you want one call clint at heuberger motors in co springs, CO he has like 50 and will give you a ripping deal, think at least 2k under msrp shipped not including tax/lic

Last edited by slow04wrx; 01-02-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:56 AM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
pretty sure fr-s is double production of brz and that was only for 2013.

Anyway if you want one call clint at heuberger motors in co springs, CO he has like 50 and will give you a ripping deal, think at least 2k under msrp shipped not including tax/lic
Damn you are right, he has 58 BRZ's in stock! :-O

I would imagine somebody could get a good deal right about now since the snow is falling there...
Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Damn you are right, he has 58 BRZ's in stock! :-O

I would imagine somebody could get a good deal right about now since the snow is falling there...
Even without the snow, Clint gives some of the best deals I've seen for the BRZ. I've always seen him advertise the BRZ below MSRP.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:22 PM

There is a reason he is the most selling salesman at the most selling dealership.

Quick Reply: AUDT: BAIC thoughts on the BRZ