32" 1080p samsung LCD at FRY's For $799

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:31 PM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
The120hz deal is just a bunch of bull****. Even though the Sonys tend to do it right much of the time, it makes your eyes hurt! It's just creating, doubling frames... just another thing to go wrong, and it doesn't do **** usually, just makes everything blurry at times.

Best to turn all extra processing off if you can.
really??? so i dont need 120hz?
Old 08-13-2008, 02:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
You've had this converstation with him too!?!

Oh, btw, if you are looking for quality cables for anything, check out www.monoprice.com

-Gagan

yes sir, HDMI is digital... the receiver looks for patterns of 1's and 0's and nothing else. So its off or on. No in between confusion like analog. So either the cable will work 100% or 0%. So why spend 100+ dollars "gold plated" over priced crap,

its hard to convince a guy who makes **** loads of money on "high end" cables that he is over charging customers.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Actually you guys are wrong. Being in the electronics business I've done a lot of testing and usage of other ****. A ****ty hdmi cable can definitely make a difference. If you disagree you must have a pretty limited experience. I'm not saying you need to buy a 100 dollar cable, but some of the cheap ones do affect quality adversely.
it's ****ing horse****... a $3 hdmi cable at 6ft will do ANYTHING a $100 monster cable will do so long as you aren't trying to run TrueHD/DTS-HD audio + Deep Color out of a bluray player AT THE SAME TIME. this is the key here folks... those two at the same time REQUIRE you to have a higher bandwidth cable, otherwise typically called an HDMI 1.3 certified cable.

Otherwise it's wasted bandwidth. HDMI connection issue usually lead back to defective cables (seen more defect monster cables than i cared to count) and price of cable does not mean quality of cable.

When it comes to signal testing our testing (and also Audioholics testing) shows that you'll find more cheap cables have more errors in the tests vs expensive cables, however, real world testing shows that those same cables that have "poor" transmission in the test show to work fine at 1080P at 50ft!

So, this tells us that it's all in the individual cable, and if that's the case, why pay hundreds for 1 cable when a much cheaper cable will more than likely take care of you just fine.

Remember that digital signals are digital, they either make it, or they don't. You typically don't see a degraded signal like you would over analog cables.

With analog cables you should buy the best built cables you can afford, ie: thicker, with more shielding and a thicker solid copper or silver cores.

Last edited by joltdudeuc; 08-13-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by mot
If you can turn it off Tom, do so. You're subconscious brain and eyes will thank you. lol
Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by evsoul
yes sir, HDMI is digital... the receiver looks for patterns of 1's and 0's and nothing else. So its off or on. No in between confusion like analog. So either the cable will work 100% or 0%. So why spend 100+ dollars "gold plated" over priced crap,

its hard to convince a guy who makes **** loads of money on "high end" cables that he is over charging customers.
gold plating helps, but you don't have to pay a fortune to have it!

www.monoprice.com is where i shop for cables.

The gold lowers the resistance, and that matters, but otherwise, when it comes to digital: good enough is good enough, and overkill gains you no benefit.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mot
Absolutely not. If the TV is truly running 120hz it is unnecessary. The human eyes won't be able to see the difference between 60hz and 120hz.

60hz is perfect. Anything less, well depending on what you're watching or what game you are playing will determine how low the frames per second can go down to before you notice it.

Remember most movies are filmed in 24 frames per second. So 120hz would be serious overkill.

And running a game at 60fps (or 60hz) would look so smooth even with the most action packed fast happening explosive explosion of a game that you wouldn't notice any problems.
Most people can run games around 40fps and not notice any problems.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:50 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F

Remember that digital signals are digital, they either make it, or they don't. You typically don't see a degraded signal like you would over analog cables.
thankfully someone else understands this concept
Old 08-13-2008, 02:55 PM
VIP Member

gold plating helps, but you don't have to pay a fortune to have it!

www.monoprice.com is where i shop for cables.

The gold lowers the resistance, and that matters, but otherwise, when it comes to digital: good enough is good enough, and overkill gains you no benefit.
Well it helps but not having it isn't going to really impair the quality. Like I said the clean connection of the gold is better used on analog.. since analog sends a signal and the reciever has to try and translate it into an image.. while with digital (dvi,hdmi) there is no question about what is being sent.. its either a 1 or 0.. if i whisper to you "1" then whisper "0" or yell "1" or yell "0" chances are you can hear it even with people talking around us.

That is my analogy for how interference affects the signal. And if I whisper to you and there is a ton of noise around us so you can't hear it then you ignore it.. you don't try to translate it so its always yes or no.

But I would not mind owning a gold plated (i do) hdmi cable just because that site you linked and many others sell them for so cheap.

My buddy works at agilent technologies, and he is testing a lot of stuff for his job one of which was stress testing HDMI cables for sony or something. And he said while maxing out the bandwidth and adding a lot of interference to the gold plated cables, and non-gold plated cables neither "connection" provided a better picture (ie signal)

It is just amazing how the marketing teams of crappy companies like Monster can convince even the poorest of people to spend $120 on a 6ft cable.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by BoxerRumble
Hey Gagan, do you have a good recommendation for a cheap 42-50inch plasma? My friend is looking into a new TV and he's thinking about getting the Samsung PN50A550. His budget is no more than 1,600.
This deal is over, it was from this past weekend, but it's pretty much what you are looking for:

http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/...22871857&type=
Old 08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
thankfully someone else understands this concept
we are few and far between sadly
Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
VIP Member

oh and DOWN WITH THE MAN!

Thanks Gagan, I have had this argument with so many people.. (mainly sales reps at best buy.. god they can be idiots no offense if anyone works there..)

I once had a rep at bestbuy tell me... NO joke man, that DVI provides a better picture than HDMI because dvi doesn't doesn't have to share the connection with sound LOL. I told the guy he was an idiot and his boss came over and tried to explain it to me and I said "the bandwidth on the HDMI cable is bigger than any current device media is broadcasted in" and they didn't get it. They also didn't know digital meant 1's and 0's
Old 08-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Old School

oh and DOWN WITH THE MAN!

Thanks Gagan, I have had this argument with so many people.. (mainly sales reps at best buy.. god they can be idiots no offense if anyone works there..)

I once had a rep at bestbuy tell me... NO joke man, that DVI provides a better picture than HDMI because dvi doesn't doesn't have to share the connection with sound LOL. I told the guy he was an idiot and his boss came over and tried to explain it to me and I said "the bandwidth on the HDMI cable is bigger than any current device media is broadcasted in" and they didn't get it. They also didn't know digital meant 1's and 0's
Yeah, I had this Magnolia moron tell me that I need to step up to bluray cause up converting players are a thing of the past and are worthless. I then pointed to the rack of Denon up converting players and said "then why do you sell those?"

I was in there testing a 981 unit with a particular Mitsubishi TV for a "milky picture" as the customer said... of course, worked flawless.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
VIP Member

haha nice. Yeah anything to make a sell I guess. I just don't understand how people can work in a business yet know absolutely nothing about it other than how to sell it to people.

What do you do for a living Gagan? I am guessing Home Theater work of some type.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Old School

Oh, and DVI does, or should I say can, carry digital audio. It's just that TV manufacturers never supported the correct version of DVI to capture the audio portion and decode it.

Proof is all the newer computer graphics cards, they have DVI connectors, and with a simply adapter to HDMI you end up both picture and sound. I laugh when people try to argue with me on that one... DVI was more than many people think, but it's not as fat of a pipe as HDMI can be.

HDMI sucks though. ****ing pos sync issues and HDCP, oh man, don't get me started on that. EDID issues with mis information, it never ends. Such a rushed format.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Old School

haha nice. Yeah anything to make a sell I guess. I just don't understand how people can work in a business yet know absolutely nothing about it other than how to sell it to people.

What do you do for a living Gagan? I am guessing Home Theater work of some type.
I do tech support and help with product development for Oppo Digital

www.oppodigital.com

Quick Reply: 32" 1080p samsung LCD at FRY's For $799