32" 1080p samsung LCD at FRY's For $799

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:05 PM

Car Info: 04 Mustang Mach 1
32" 1080p samsung LCD at FRY's For $799

Just went to frys and picked up a 32" 1080p Samsung LCD for $799. Thought i should share the great deal with everyone else. Sale Ends today. Reg price is 1,099. looks great for the price!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
wow 799 for a 32"? i paid that much for my 42".
Old 08-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Samsungs aren't worth it.

They have too much macroblocking.

Take it from an industry insider, when comes to LCDs, Vizio if you are looking on the cheap or Sony. Everything else has something very, very not right with it.

Don't let reviews of Samsung, Toshiba, Sharp or Mitsubihi fool you, most people will force themselves to justify price. But why? Get the best TV you can, quality wise, that fits your budget. LCDs, remember, Vizio or Sony!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:03 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

google "triple ball effect" with samsung's 1080p models...
Old 08-12-2008, 08:16 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Samsungs aren't worth it.

They have too much macroblocking.

Take it from an insider, when comes to LCDs, Vizio if you are looking on the cheap or Sony. Everything else has something very, very not right with it.

Don't let reviews of Samsung, Toshiba, Sharp or Mitsubihi fool you, most people will force themselves to justify price. But why? Get the best TV you can, quality wise, that fits your budget. LCDs, remember, Vizio or Sony!
Funny that you like Sony buy don't like Samsung...Sony has the worst picture I have ever seen. The only reason that Vizio sells so much is cause they are cheep and everyone can buy one. If you really want a good tv you buy a Plasma, Pioneer Elite, trye it will cost a lot but is the best picture you are ever gonna get. When it comes to a tv you get what you pay for. Only two companies make the lcd for every brand out, and now only two for a plasma now that Fujitsu does not make the panels anymore. The thing that makes the tv look good is the processor that is running you picture.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:51 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI, 2004 S2000, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
Funny that you like Sony buy don't like Samsung...Sony has the worst picture I have ever seen. The only reason that Vizio sells so much is cause they are cheep and everyone can buy one. If you really want a good tv you buy a Plasma, Pioneer Elite, trye it will cost a lot but is the best picture you are ever gonna get. When it comes to a tv you get what you pay for. Only two companies make the lcd for every brand out, and now only two for a plasma now that Fujitsu does not make the panels anymore. The thing that makes the tv look good is the processor that is running you picture.
Funny that you say Sony has the worst picture. When I was shopping for TVs I came across a top 10 list on CNET for 40inch class LCDs. According to that list the Sony Bravia XBR4/5, their flagship line, has the best picture quality for their 40 and 46 inch versions when compared to other brands.

I went to Best Buy where they had one on display in the Magnolia section It pretty much blew away all the others in picture quality except for the Samsung's flagship model. I bought myself a 40inch Bravia XBR4 and could not be happier.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:56 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Paid $1,150 for my 46" 1080p last year.

Thank you Best Buy and your open box policy (even though it is a Westinghouse ).
Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
Just got a 52" Sony a month ago through a family hook up. $2000 and it is amazing. Not quite Pioneer Plasma for color, but much better than most other LCD's I saw on the market.

Motion Flow is a little funky though.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:26 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by matthepcat
Just got a 52" Sony a month ago through a family hook up. $2000 and it is amazing. Not quite Pioneer Plasma for color, but much better than most other LCD's I saw on the market.

My dad got a Pioneer Plasma its his little pride and joy. I'm scared to buy a LCD I know he'll make fun of it
Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
LCDs are more expensive than plasmas though.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:12 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by STiyLish WRX
Funny that you say Sony has the worst picture. When I was shopping for TVs I came across a top 10 list on CNET for 40inch class LCDs. According to that list the Sony Bravia XBR4/5, their flagship line, has the best picture quality for their 40 and 46 inch versions when compared to other brands.

I went to Best Buy where they had one on display in the Magnolia section It pretty much blew away all the others in picture quality except for the Samsung's flagship model. I bought myself a 40inch Bravia XBR4 and could not be happier.
Thats cause you don't have a 50-60" Pioneer Elite lol
Old 08-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Old School

Read my posts dude... I'm talking about LCDs here. Stick to running cable kid.

Anyways, here how it works:

Sony- Best Contrast Ratio, best overall processing, best colors, best pixel sharpness. Expensive, but worth it if you can afford it.
Vizio- 80% of the sony, half of the sony price. Vizio's have all of the above except the contrast ratio (and forget the numbers, that **** is all over the place and very fake). It's just not as black as the sony, but a Great Value. Softer picture compared to the sony.

Samsung- Lots of macroblocking on standard def and also HD. Too much trailing and the 720p sets have a lot of image retention. Overrated. Auto sensing HDMI feature is a PITA!

Toshiba- Soft picture, otherwise good. Usually pricey.

Mitsubishi- Similar to the toshiba. Usually Pricey.

Sharp- Lots of banding (false contouring), lots of macroblocking.

Hope that helps. I don't work for a TV company, I work for a DVD player manufacturer. We do NOTHING but buy and test TVs with our players. I'm telling you guys this from EXPERIENCE. Not from what I read on some forum or review site, or what my dealer tells me when my business is charging up to 400% on some products.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Old School

Pioneer has stopped plasma panel production as well.

There are many more LCD TV manufacturers than 2, fyi. The panels probably aren't too varied, but you have to remember that there is a lot of "stuff" behind those panels, and that matters a lot.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by matthepcat

The120hz deal is just a bunch of bull****. Even though the Sonys tend to do it right much of the time, it makes your eyes hurt! It's just creating, doubling frames... just another thing to go wrong, and it doesn't do **** usually, just makes everything blurry at times.

Best to turn all extra processing off if you can.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:27 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by kspek
LCDs are more expensive than plasmas though.
Not really true. Although both have come down in price, Plasmas are typically more expensive.

Quick Reply: 32" 1080p samsung LCD at FRY's For $799