2014 Wrx engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 01:49 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
So not mentioning the car was stage 2 is fraud yet allowing the dealership to selling 30k lemons is perfectly OK. Got it fellas, carry on the gang bang.
I don't think a Subaru dealership is the same as SOA. SOA is the one that pays for the warranty work, not the dealership.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by UKn00b
Not true Subaru has yet to employ knox or flash counters, it's been rumored for years but isn't there. 2015 perhaps I've not seen how they're setup.

This is based off the newer gen AP's which gather the stock rom and replace it at the unmarrying point, V1's and how they worked I'd assume are detectable though.
That's false and even Cobb employees have admitted a previously flashed ECU can be fairly readily spotted (I've known some of the Cobb folk for 9-12 years, the confessions came from them). Subaru Select Monitor 3 can do this.

Last edited by Brfatal; 03-15-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:59 PM

Car Info: 2015 FXT Stage II
Originally Posted by Brfatal
That's false and even Cobb employees have admitted a previously flashed ECU can be fairly readily spotted (I've known some of the Cobb folk for 9-12 years, the confessions came from them). Subaru Select Monitor 3 can do this.
Perhaps you don't know who you are talking to? I'm fairly positive he knows just a tad bit of what he's talking about. I'd also venture out to say he's probably in on more talks with the Cobb guys then most.

Last edited by PROcede; 03-15-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by damianwrb07
In 2006 and 2007 Subaru sold "TR" Wrx's if anyone is unaware the "TR" stands for Tuner ready. Subaru knows that people buy they cars and "Tune" them. In a booklet that I recieved in the mail 2 weeks after buying my Subaru titled "Guide to ownership" there is a picture of 50 modified Subarus driving into a meet and a caption above saying Connecting all of us with similar interests, see upcoming events by liking Subaru of FB.
In 2001, when I bought my first WRX, Subaru included a complimentary one-year membership to the SCCA. However, if one were to have carefully read the letter from SOA granting the membership, it specifically stated that it was not responsible for any potential damages incurred during SCCA activities, and that participation in any sanctioned SCCA activities would void certain aspects of the warranty (I can't remember which exactly because that letter was from over a decade ago and I never did join the SCCA).

Several first-gen WRX owners indeed damaged their cars in way or another during SCCA events, and SOA turned down their attempts at warranty repairs per the terms of the contract presented in the letter/membership application. When those owners complained, SOA stopped offering the SCCA memberships.

You logic regarding the old TR models is the same as those old bugeye owners: Subaru knew that I should "go race" my car, and now that my car has suffered some form of damage due to said "racing", I want Subaru to fix it because they knew it would happen. I'm terribly sorry but that's not the way SOA operates. As for the ownership guide and photos of modded Subies, be sure to read the fine print on those publications: there's a line absolving SOA of any and all responsibilities for "shenanigans" along the lines of "SOA does not condone blah blah blah do so at your own risk."

I really do feel for you as having a brand new car break down like that is hard on the gut and on the pocketbook, but unfortunately chances are that it will be a hard lesson in consequential thinking and exercising proper precautions before taking any major financial actions, whether it be modding or even buying another Subaru.

That being said, I do hope that you won't get left completely out in the cold, but by my best deduction, it seems like you won't have much of a case to present to SOA. Nevertheless, best of luck to you.

Last edited by Choku Dori; 03-15-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by PROcede
Perhaps you don't know who you are talking to? I'm fairly positive he knows just a tad bit of what he's talking about. I'd also venture out to say he's probably in on more talks with the Cobb guys then most.
You're right I don't. I take it he's a tuner. I'm just telling you what Cobb employees told me well after V2s came out. V3s could very well have a different story. I no longer work at a dealership either so I can't say.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Overbear
Young one, let me sum up what you said, before I answer.

Its your stance that the OP:

1) deserves a new motor because other subaru cars have had some issues with the motor when left stock
2) That because subaru puts a "bad tune" from the factory, it should be changed.
3) The OP is out a lot of money
4) Anyone who disagrees with your point of view should get help and is automatically a bully.

And now, lets address each of your "problems"

1) The OP modified the motor, it does not matter if a billion stock motors go boom. The fact is it was not stock, so any wrong doing by Subaru is null and void at that point. Again lets look at that, was the motor 100% stock...NO, therefor any damage to it could or could not be caused by the mods, but there is zero way to know.
2) The factory tune seems to work just fine for millions of other Subaru cars on the road, including WRX and STI cars that go 150k with no problem.
3) Not Subaru's problem, once again caveat emptor
4) Lets get to the meat of your post now. You, like many people I see every day, are suffering under the delusion that life OWES you things. You have no personal responsibility, you expect things given to you, then you get upset when someone says "no".

Think on that a long time before you respond to this post. The words "Personal Responsibility", perhaps look up the meaning.

I leave you with this quote from a very wise person, to ponder on.

“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Actually no you obviously didn't read it. My point was

1) that you shouldn't tell a guy he doesn't deserve a motor or that the engine failing is somehow his fault without knowing any of the details, this is just ignorant and a dick move.

2) you are being a dick again trying to imply that any mod or to a stock car regardless of the specific detail of the mod meaning if it in everyway improves what was stock or not and this somehow makes the op not deserve a motor and again neglecting point 1. You aren't even willing to consider he isn't at fault.

3) you neglect any reasoning or suggestion that it could have to do with subaru motors failing sometimes due to clearly some type of problem, what EQ said sounded smart. This is also dumb because you talk about these sti's going 150k+ and the millions of other turbo subarus around, probably like 10-15 billion by my guess. You also neglect researching any of the countless threads regarding blown subaru turbo engines most which were replaced by subaru. Subaru has had major engine woes back to the old 2.5 na as well, there aren't millions and millions that make it well over 150k with no issues.

4) again you are insensitive dick solely trying to contribute negativity and disinformation into the thread.

5) subaru makes no mods or sti/spt parts and has never suggested subarus have mods, heck looks at their parts catalog or race cars. Haha, they also make great safe tunes stock. Do I bother mentioning rennick subaru who use to sell everything from fmic to cai's to exhaust at the dealership, and kept themselves stocked.

6) I guess I also have to again mention the whole aspect of a modification leading to the failure. I guess if I have an exhaust and my oil pump fails due to a defect I'm just another entitled young ***** eh?

Here is the biggest thing I want to address with you is this. I would like you to look up PROJECTION+psychology on google. It makes me **** MY ****ING pants laughing when you try to call me and the op "ENTITLED.

Let me tell you something about entitled. Entitled is a jackass know it all who comes into peoples threads and makes the final say about someones elses situation they have no existence in (nor knowledge), while having zero meaningful ****ing details on what actual occurred or what went wrong with the car, forcing this pure idiotic ****ing behavior onto the rest of us. You my friend are the most entitled person on here, thinking anyone wants to hear you spew your hateful technical debunkt bull**** on the forum. An entitled person comes onto threads to add nothing but negativity and instead of offering advice about a situation(general point of threads) forces their opinion of why someone is wrong, stupid, and why they should do it their way.

I suggest some self reflection and trying to refrain from posting if you don't having anything positive to contribute.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 03-16-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:05 AM

Car Info: 1996 Impreza L
Originally Posted by Brfatal
You're right I don't. I take it he's a tuner. I'm just telling you what Cobb employees told me well after V2s came out. V3s could very well have a different story. I no longer work at a dealership either so I can't say.
Please tell me where to identify this in the SSM3 as I just tested this and can't find an identifier anywhere what so ever? I'll call Trey and ask his take on Monday as well.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:05 AM

Car Info: 12 STi hatch
Originally Posted by UKn00b
Please tell me where to identify this in the SSM3 as I just tested this and can't find an identifier anywhere what so ever? I'll call Trey and ask his take on Monday as well.
I'm not an expert or anything, but just about all posts I've read point to the fact that dealerships or technicians can see if the ecu has been tampered with somehow. something about a checksum or key turn? I don't know. so you think thats not true? I'm just curious, I'm out of the warranty period lol.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:29 AM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Forget modding. Go take a bone stock STI on a track a handful of times and see how long it survives. Modding has very little to do with the failures. It's generally aggressive driving that takes them out. The problem is the Subaru is selling people performance cars and expects them to be driven like Camry's.

-- Ed
Quoted for truth even though I still call them "factory modded econo-boxes".

Originally Posted by Shayhan27
If only I knew back in 2008 when I bought my WRX now, I would have bought and EVO 8 MR.

Cams, injectors, fuel pump, turbo = less money and more powa.......
Good luck Mitsubishi's pretty much pulling out of the U.S.

So Subaru not addressing known engine component faults are ok? I should have done some research on how weak the internals are on these "Performance" cars. A direct competitor uses Forged internals not cast and I realize why they are more expensive.
That.

Last edited by TheFozz; 03-16-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:17 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Ha Ha the joke was I would have, but alas I have already gone down the suburu rabbit hole with my reverse broken.

No looking back now. 450 streetable HP or bust LOL
Old 03-26-2014, 05:12 PM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
Update: After a couple of back and fourth weeks with SOA I finally get my car back tomorrow with a brand new short block and it was covered under warranty. They called it "Good faith" or something of that nature. I did a sh*% ton of research on the 06+ Wrx/Sti and engine failure, it makes me believe that the new FA series motors were ment to right the ship so to speak. I'm very happy to be getting my car back but at the same time disappointed. I've come to grips that I will just have to baby the car until I can trade it in for something more reliable. SOA left me without a rental/loaner for 3 weeks but in the end replaced the motor so I can't complain too much. I really hope in the future Subaru builds a better motor so if people want to Modify their car that the motor will hold up under the added HP.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:24 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon EJ25
Update: After a couple of back and fourth weeks with SOA I finally get my car back tomorrow with a brand new short block and it was covered under warranty. They called it "Good faith" or something of that nature. I did a sh*% ton of research on the 06+ Wrx/Sti and engine failure, it makes me believe that the new FA series motors were ment to right the ship so to speak. I'm very happy to be getting my car back but at the same time disappointed. I've come to grips that I will just have to baby the car until I can trade it in for something more reliable. SOA left me without a rental/loaner for 3 weeks but in the end replaced the motor so I can't complain too much. I really hope in the future Subaru builds a better motor so if people want to Modify their car that the motor will hold up under the added HP.
What exactly was said in the back and forth with SOA?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 PM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
Originally Posted by runboyrun
What exactly was said in the back and forth with SOA?
Basically telling me that if the car was modded that would effect my warranty and inter-Subaru conversations.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:40 AM

Car Info: 12 STi hatch
This is great news! happy to hear SOA did something right!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:54 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Glad you got it taken care of. Also what oil were you using?

Quick Reply: 2014 Wrx engine failure