2014 Wrx engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by UKn00b
Oddly enough Subaru would like to do away with all forced induction models as soon as they can especially SOA, the reason given is they account for less than -10% of SOA gross sales yet yield over 78% of all warranty claims
Outback and Forester sales to Lesbians is really the bread and butter for Subaru of America. Somehow the 2008 redo of the Impreza really jump started the sales there too.

People like 'em now, and yeah, I can see how the turbo cars are smaller in sales numbers, especially with so many other performance sedans/hatches coming out in the market, like the Focus ST.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by damianwrb07
but we didn't buy a Kia for a reason
I did, and it's faster than an STI stock.

That car has also already been thru an engine too.

Last edited by Brfatal; 03-14-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:55 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Outback and Forester sales to Lesbians is really the bread and butter for Subaru of America. Somehow the 2008 redo of the Impreza really jump started the sales there too.

People like 'em now, and yeah, I can see how the turbo cars are smaller in sales numbers, especially with so many other performance sedans/hatches coming out in the market, like the Focus ST.

I don't think that was ever NOT the case. Their bread and butter has always been the outback and forester platform. The redesign of the forester absolutely boosted Subaru to a house hold name. An option for more than just people that live in the snow. They're selling like crazy and that platform is the staple.

The redesign of the impreza and the split of the impreza/wrx platform signal to me that they're going to keep building on that success.

But the BRZ was a big success. The STI and the WRX still sell and will continue to do so IF... IF they continue to improve it. I see this split as a good thing. Hopefully it will mean that the WRX/STI are truly seen as a different platform and will get built that way. Forged internals and a 6spd on both is a huge need.

I think in the end it could be a good thing. Less parts will be pushed through both platforms... less crap meant for the NA motors will filter on to the turbo cars. But that's probably just me hoping.

There's a reason that I have a WRX with 236k on it and plan on putting a new motor in it instead of buying a new one.

Hell... the wife's forester has it's own issues. First model year issues. We're looking to get out of it and either in to a new one... or an 08.

Subaru has a big decision to make. Right now they're trying to get by with what they have. Eventually that's not going to work anymore and they'll have to actually commit to the platform. We'll see if they're willing.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:17 AM
General Pimpin'

It's also plausible that Subaru knows the weakness in their current EJ257 engines given that since it's release in MY04 the stated crank output has increased roughly 2% (300 to 305) I'm fairly certain just about every other manufacturer that has a car still in it's line up even NA models boasts far more increase on their engines over a 10 year span!
Yeah. I said that before this model got released. They've gotten away with it for WAY too long. There is NO reason the STI shouldn't be somewhere between 340-375hp. The only reason they're not is so they can cheap out on internals.

Eventually they'll have to kill the platform or spend some money on it. I don't get it. You can get a used STI and build it up for what you'd spend on a new one and end up with a way cooler car for the same money.

And your "increase" of 2% is based off the manufacturer claims. Have you put 2 of them on the dyno bone stock? I'd be curious. I would not be surprised if it actually put down LESS on this model than it did on say... the 2005 model.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:14 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Lol @ Overbear expecting would be owners to search the internet for all the blown stock motors before purchasing a car. Sorry that's not how its supposed to work and SoA should be replacing his motor under warranty.

Your tune would be different if you got the dud motor out of the dealership. Infact I'm pretty certain you would be talking about taking up arms against the dealership if it was to happen to you.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Lol @ Overbear expecting would be owners to search the internet for all the blown stock motors before purchasing a car. Sorry that's not how its supposed to work and SoA should be replacing his motor under warranty.

Your tune would be different if you got the dud motor out of the dealership. Infact I'm pretty certain you would be talking about taking up arms against the dealership if it was to happen to you.
The issue with getting warranty work is OP's car was not running the stock tune when this happened. It's going to be an uphill battle.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:43 PM

Car Info: 1996 Impreza L
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
And your "increase" of 2% is based off the manufacturer claims. Have you put 2 of them on the dyno bone stock? I'd be curious. I would not be surprised if it actually put down LESS on this model than it did on say... the 2005 model.
I have done a bunch of both but honestly the cars stock for stock are all over the map kinda like playing darts drunk!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:57 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by G_Ride
The issue with getting warranty work is OP's car was not running the stock tune when this happened. It's going to be an uphill battle.
Yea but OP put it back to stock before taking it in. If they won't warranty it because the bolts have been opened and then retightened, lawyer up.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 PM
General Pimpin'

I have done a bunch of both but honestly the cars stock for stock are all over the map kinda like playing darts drunk!
Figured.

Didn't know you had a dart board in the shop.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:41 PM

Yea but OP put it back to stock before taking it in. If they won't warranty it because the bolts have been opened and then retightened, lawyer up.
He can do that, but the burden of proof is on him. That's still an uphill battle. It doesn't change the fact that this happened when his car wasn't stock, though.
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Figured.

Didn't know you had a dart board in the shop.
He is British.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:49 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX

He is British.
He said dart board not Cricket field
Old 03-14-2014, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Shayhan27
He said dart board not Cricket field
The cricket field is somewhere else.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 1996 Impreza L
The cricket field is somewhere else.
Nah it's here, it's between the crumpet maker and the spotted dick machine!
Old 03-14-2014, 04:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by Deniz1980
SOA bag the Harmon Kardon or whatever upgraded sound system you have, the moon roof, and that funky batman wing..... And give us a performance built motor or we are all getting GTR's
Riiiight, because the STi and GTR are at the same price point.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:01 PM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback

The majority of mechanics I've talked to say that it's almost certain something was wrong with the motor from the factory, just doesn't make sense that a nearly stock motor would fail especially the way I drive my car. If I had flogged the car on the track or treated it like a rented mule then I could see the possibility of failure but fact is I hadn't put the car through its paces and the motor had blown on the freeway at 65 mph.

Quick Reply: 2014 Wrx engine failure