1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:19 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Originally Posted by Subyusmcguy
I was 6 years old and in the hospital ( getting tonsils removed ) . I slept rite through it.
how lucky can you be? not feeling a thing with the earthquake. i remember that night following the earthquake being so eerie. most parts of san francisco didn't have power for almost a week.

Originally Posted by Daios
Wow Jansen is my age?
what are you trying to say? i'm not aging well?

Last edited by JZ oo7; 10-17-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:23 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I lived in Oregon still at that time so i only saw it on the news.

But always has been a fear of mine moving here a few years ago cus its been a while since a big one has hit so i know i will be here for the next big one.

Watched this on the news last night and none of it sounds good at all

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local..._Bay_Area.html
Old 10-17-2008, 04:31 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

i was a student at cal state hayward, and worked on campus.

i worked in a place that had a tv so i prepping the night for the first game at candlestick.

so, at around 4:55, i decided to go to my truck to get some books or stuff. i left the tv on channel 7, IIRC...

just as the EQ hit, i shut the rear door on the truck and the wave hit the parking lot i was in. i remember it so vividly.

it was like was on a surfboard and it was literally like a wave just flowed under my feet.

ok... i thought. an EQ just hit. but then again, we all experience them so it wasnt that big of a deal.

so i get back to the office. i open the door and the first thing i see was the tv. but now, instead of watching the pre-game, all i see was snow.

ooooookay.

i tuned to all the local channels. ALL SNOW!!!!!!

now a sense of urgency and crapping-in-pants feel hit me.

OH <BLEEP>!!!!!

all of the local tv stations were OFF THE AIR! the first time i have experienced it.

so i turned to the national channels. ESPN was on. then i remembered CNN. they were on, so i knew at least the outside world was still alive. so i left it on CNN and then like a few minutes later, the first sign.

the anchor mentioned an EQ has hit the SF bay area. then like a few more minutes later, the first video of the section of the bay bridge was shown.

now this is a section that doesnt get a lot of air time so when they showed the side shot of it, i didnt immediately think that WAS the bay bridge. that was until, the camera panned out the shot and sure enough, it was on the oakland side.

OH DOUBLE <BLEEP>!!!!!!

about 10-20 minutes the first video of the cypress came on.

OH TRIPLE <BLEEP>!!!!!!!!!! now i started to see how bad this one could have gotten. after all, a whole section of the freeway collapsed onto itself....

about an 30 minutes later, the first sign of a local tv station came back on. i think it was KTVU and dennis richmond. he was in a very dark news room with just like a single light on him. and you could see he wasnt all made-up but rather that disheveled look.

then like within another 30 minutes, the other stations all came back online.

i finally left work around 8pm and drove home in various sections of darkness as some sections were blacked out and some werent.

fortunately, our home didnt get any damage and power were still on.

that was the day i started to think about SHTF/TEOTWAWKI preparations...
Old 10-17-2008, 05:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
I just remembered something. I was on the swim team and the people who went to afternoon practice who were in the pool when the earthquake hit, said it was like being in the ocean, the waves were so big. So much water sloshed out of the pool, you could notice it the next morning.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:17 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I was in LA i think it was 94 in June and there was an earthquake when i went into the pool at my grandmothers. The water had pretty big waves heh. That was the second quake i went through. First one was in oregon i think in 93 and we were all sleeping and at first i thought it was my brother shaking the **** out of me lol. Oregon really doesnt have earthquakes and i was almost 18 by that point and that was the first quake i felt there.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
I was 10 living in Philadelpha, didn't feel a thing but I did remember the news about it and seeing the bridge collapsed.

Originally Posted by Gibz
I was in LA i think it was 94 in June and there was an earthquake when i went into the pool at my grandmothers. The water had pretty big waves heh. That was the second quake i went through. First one was in oregon i think in 93 and we were all sleeping and at first i thought it was my brother shaking the **** out of me lol. Oregon really doesnt have earthquakes and i was almost 18 by that point and that was the first quake i felt there.
My family and I moved to Southern California (Orange County) in '93 and felt that Northridge earthquake in '94. Woke me up, went to the bathroom and then went back to bed. Everybody at school thought I was psycho cause I wasn't hundled in a doorway waiting it out.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:03 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
haha i was one month old so ??
Old 10-17-2008, 07:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
I was 6 years old at the time and still remember it like it was yesterday.

I was livingnin Modesto and was at the mall buying Carmel popcorn and felt it. I felt the ground shake but didn't think it was an earthquake til I got home and saw the news and saw the bay bridge collapse. When we moved back to Fremont there was a big crack on the wow from the earthquake, couldn't believey eyes.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
I was at home watching TV, and then like *bam*! I thought the fat guy next door fell down all 3 flights of stairs or something , then the the TV went all fuzzy. I remember my mom came running down from the top floor of the house and grabbed me while she dashed under the dining table. It was then when I realized and earthquake had hit.

We were living on Twin Peaks in the City at the time, so being on solid rock, it really didn't feel that bad. It wasn't until we heard radio reports that we realized how bad it was, what with reports of the Bay Bridge and highway collapse and everything. I also remember I was really sad that night because my old man worked in the East Bay and couldn't make it back home to the City until the next day.

Damn, time flies...
Old 10-17-2008, 08:27 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by rau
BAH AH AHA AHHAHHAHAAHAHHAH AHAHA AHAHHA

......gasp........

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHhahahahha!!!!!!!!

i think i hurt myself.......
jackass...
Old 10-17-2008, 08:54 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I was in Connecticut, and like 2 years old
I was in Connecticut too 6 months old though, What part are you from?
Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
I was in LA working while the rest of the family was over here. Had a hard time getting in touch with them but did and everyone was safe.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Man, this thread really dates us... Trips me out when people that are old enough to drive tell me they weren't born yet... Or haven't watched E.T. or know what it is even... Classics like Revenge of the nerds, Goonies, Terminator 1, predator. Top Gun, and MANY MANY MANY more... Most haven't seen any of them. I've talked to over 20 people within that age group (when I volunteer at schools) and I think maybe two of them knew what those films were and have watched them... The remainder were clueless. Does that make anyone else sad?

I was 10 years old when the earthquake struck. I was at home with my older sister and my mom chilling out on my couch flipping back and forth from the baseball game and the brady bunch (yeah. I liked the brady bunch, lay off me!, lol).

All the sudden I felt everything shaking really violently, something I had never felt before in my life... My moms shouts out "Get out of the house, its an earthquake!!!". The back door was wide open and we were near it so we just bolted out of the house and watched our house literally sway back and forth... The windows were flexing in and outwards and I thought they were going to blow up for sure, but sure enough the quake stopped and all I could hear is silence and car alarms and dogs barking. We were without power until the next day.

Crazy fact is that my father was driving home during the quake and he drove over the cypress structure about 30mins before it collapsed in the quake! My dad said traffic was so bad that it took him about 4 hours to get home from Oakland to Fremont. He said that you couldn't go ANYWHERE to avoid it, the best he described it was an accident on every single road/freeway all the way home. (You know what its like when there is 1 accident that screws everyone, imagine that!)

Damn man, we're getting old. I can't believe its been almost 20 years.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:45 PM

Car Info: *WiDe AnD LoW*
I was a dumb little kid and ran to the window to see why the earth was shaking. I thought it was godzilla or something (I was a huge fan of godzilla)

Old 10-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by so steezy
I was a dumb little kid and ran to the window to see why the earth was shaking. I thought it was godzilla or something (I was a huge fan of godzilla)

hahah! You ran to the WINDOW to see if it was Godzilla? What if it was Godzilla? Going to the window would probably be the worst idea, hide your *** under a desk or something! Godzilla would kick your ***! lol

I'd take an earthquake over Godzilla any day. I used to be a big *** King Kong fan when I was living in Germany, and my dad used to screw with me and tell me that if I did something bad that he'd go and talk to King Kong for my punishment... I totally believed him... I was like 5 or 6

Quick Reply: 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake