Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

what turbo ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 10:24 PM

Question what turbo ??

Hey guys i need a turbo for my 2004 sti. I have turbo back exhaust, fmic, 800cc injectors, fuel pump. What turbo should i get. "I will be getting motor work done soon". I would like around 430hp to 500hp some were in there
Old 10-05-2005, 01:18 AM

What kinda HP you want?

I'm guessing crank horsepower?? Check out forced performance turbos and deadbolt's Super Zilla line.

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/m...Code=WRX-Turbo

and

http://boostplanet.com/product7.htm

If lots of horsepower is all you crave, either one of these companies will satisfy you.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
Originally Posted by 707sti
Hey guys i need a turbo for my 2004 sti. I have turbo back exhaust, fmic, 800cc injectors, fuel pump. What turbo should i get. "I will be getting motor work done soon". I would like around 430hp to 500hp some were in there
What kind of FMIC? You need something pretty large to flow the large amounts of air you need to pull 500 whp or even crank hp.

If you are looking for crank hp, you could go with an FP Green (Forced Performance), it will generally satisfy up to 340 whp or approx 420 at the crank.

If you are looking for more, you can go with the FP Red. Its a Garret/Mitsubishi hybrid. I run the red on my car. On pump, I am pulling 360 whp and approx 450 at the crank. Similar set ups are running 400 to 410 on race gas. This is with a conservative tune. I still have stock internals.

With forged pistons, heads, crank, rods (full build for approximately $8500.00 - with top components) you could max out the flow on the FP Red at around 500 whp, maybe a little more.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:13 PM

Car Info: 05 STI 480WHP
turbo

you should buy a Garret GT35R. on my sti and i am runnung 22psi wich out down 518Whp on 100 octane and i race my car atleast 3 times a week. i am on all stock internals and 20 000 miles no problems yet. use ecutek engine management its the best next to motec.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:38 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by stiracing
you should buy a Garret GT35R. on my sti and i am runnung 22psi wich out down 518Whp on 100 octane and i race my car atleast 3 times a week. i am on all stock internals and 20 000 miles no problems yet. use ecutek engine management its the best next to motec.
what do you put down on pump gas? A/F ratios? How is your detonation correction? Torque?

Just curious, thanks.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:28 AM

Car Info: 99 2.5 rs
you should check out www.forcedairtech.com their stage 5 twin turbo/supercharged system for the sti is bad ***. they also have a more practical application that i feel you will find helpful. everyone is always asking what kind of horsepower, and torque you're looking for. it's too hard to judge the power output a particular component is going to to give you without puting it on your car and dynoing it yourself. so dont listen to these other jokers.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:59 PM

what would you basically have to do inorder to get about 500WHP into a sti? wouldn't that be too much on a stock motor? upgrade the motor to the Axis stage 6 2.65L which is pretty much the stage 5 except with larger pistons? having done that, upgrading it from ground up. what would you have to do? it's probably me but hopefully there's a write up on how to upgrade your STi.. my goal is to first get the freaking car hahahaa, then i will achieve 500+ whp.. i swear.. loll
Old 11-30-2005, 12:45 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jyhighsky
what would you basically have to do inorder to get about 500WHP into a sti? wouldn't that be too much on a stock motor? upgrade the motor to the Axis stage 6 2.65L which is pretty much the stage 5 except with larger pistons? having done that, upgrading it from ground up. what would you have to do? it's probably me but hopefully there's a write up on how to upgrade your STi.. my goal is to first get the freaking car hahahaa, then i will achieve 500+ whp.. i swear.. loll
500 hp is a very expensive proposition in an STI but certainly not impossible. Can you pull 500 on a stock motor? Yes - will it last? Maybe. HP is not the end all in longevity of an engine. You really need to be concerned with AF ratios, EGTs, Detonation, boost pressure, oil temperature, coolant temperature, oil pressure, etc.

I would highly recomend that you build an appropriate engine for your hp levels. A fully built engine with an new STI block will run you between 7 and 10G depending on the components that you use. Don't forget you also need the intake, exhaust, fuel and turbo systems to support 500 hp.

Overall, set asside another 20 to 30 G to reiably build a 500 hp engine - depending on the components you use.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:44 PM

Car Info: POS
Originally Posted by 707sti

tall order, on race gas a SZ49 will meet your goals, but on pump gas you're goingto need a bigger turbo. At those power levels I would consider water/alky injection to keep things safe on your pump tune. Talk to your tuner about your goals an they'll hlep you with the supporting mods. You will need more than just injectors and fuel pump for a safe 430-500WHP.

good luck and depdivr touched on many good points, with a stcok block you are gongt o have to make sure evrything is running right on the money or you'll blow her up. You can get a built shortblock from axis or crawford and that'll resist wear better than a stock block, but it's bulletproof. A bad tune/setup can kill a built block just as easily as a stock block. You should also look at cams as well, more AVCS cams are available.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:56 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by silentbob343
tall order, on race gas a SZ49 will meet your goals, but on pump gas you're goingto need a bigger turbo. At those power levels I would consider water/alky injection to keep things safe on your pump tune. Talk to your tuner about your goals an they'll hlep you with the supporting mods. You will need more than just injectors and fuel pump for a safe 430-500WHP.

good luck and depdivr touched on many good points, with a stcok block you are gongt o have to make sure evrything is running right on the money or you'll blow her up. You can get a built shortblock from axis or crawford and that'll resist wear better than a stock block, but it's bulletproof. A bad tune/setup can kill a built block just as easily as a stock block. You should also look at cams as well, more AVCS cams are available.
+1 - agreed.

There could be a book writen on the proper process to obtain 500 whp. My recomendation, keeping a 500 whp goal in mind, start eliminating bottlenecks.
1) TBE
2) Reflash, Access port, Utek... bla bla bla (engine management)
3) Intake
4) Injectors, fuel pump, rails, lines
5) headers
6) FMIC
7) Turbo
8) Water/Alky Injection
9) Racegas map
10) Pistons
11) Crank
12) Valves
13) Valve springs (keep going with a full engine build)

Keep in mind that all of your components that you are building your car with are capable of 500whp. Multiple tunes during your build will be necessary. Using race gas or high octane gas will help (big time) in your goal.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:48 AM

Car Info: 05 STI 480WHP
Man if you really want 500Whp it really isnt that hard to do my sti put down 605 AWHP!!! with forged pistons connecting rods head studs and a new head gasket for motor work. with a good tune the stock block can handle it. The best turbo hands down is a Garrett GT35R. i have had 4 diffrent turbo's and that Garrett is the best. Also use Nismo 740cc injectors and an APS 725 front mount.With that much power you need a 3.5-4inch exhaust. if you want more info hit me up.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:30 AM

you can get the hp to the wheels with a aps sr-55 or a gt35
Old 01-17-2006, 03:06 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by stiracing
Man if you really want 500Whp it really isnt that hard to do my sti put down 605 AWHP!!! with forged pistons connecting rods head studs and a new head gasket for motor work. with a good tune the stock block can handle it. The best turbo hands down is a Garrett GT35R. i have had 4 diffrent turbo's and that Garrett is the best. Also use Nismo 740cc injectors and an APS 725 front mount.With that much power you need a 3.5-4inch exhaust. if you want more info hit me up.
Ok, I'll admit that the word "hard" is a relative term. If you have all the money in the world and $6500 to $9000 for a fully built block is a debit card swipe away (not even considering the supporting mods), your right - its not hard to have a 500 whp STI. If you are like the other 98% of the world, finding $9000 in your accound that you can drop on a fully built crawford block is VERY hard.

That said, is 500 whp "possible"? Hell yes! No disagreement here. It is also possible to make an STI fly, you just need the supporting mods (wings, landing gear, prop or jet turbine and the appropriate flight controls).