Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Twin Scroll Turbo on 2.0 Sti or 2.5l Turbo Sti ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 03:52 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Twin Scroll Turbo on 2.0 Sti or 2.5l Turbo Sti ?

I just wanted to ask around to see if you guys rather have the 2.5l turbo or the 2.0l with the twinscroll job. From what I have looked at from the Garret turbomachinery website, the Twin scroll is a sort of "variable-turbo" system. If I have understood it correctly, it would match great with engines that don't have much low end output (like the 2.0l in Japan). The 2.5l turbo is announced here and the twin scroll turbo is gone. Is this the sole reason for the regular turbo?

I'm sorta studying more about engine "engineering" after learning about turbomachinery in a college class that I just took a year ago and wanted to see if there was anybody who understood the differences btween the two types of turbo systems.

Thx,
Tim
Old 01-15-2003, 09:23 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Well thats a good guess, as it's what I would have bet subaru was going to do with the USDM STi, but it turns out that were getting the best powerplant to find its way into an imprezza yet.

(This is straight of of subarus official US website btw)

ENGINE/TRANSMISSION
A unique engine deserves a unique transmission

The Impreza WRX STi draws motorsports technology directly from Subaru expertise in World Rally Championship (WRC) competition, and is designed to appeal to the serious driving enthusiast. Impreza WRX STi is powered by a turbocharged and intercooled 2.5-liter DOHC boxer teamed exclusively to a short-throw, close ratio six-speed manual transmission.

The 2.5-liter horizontally opposed ("boxer") four-cylinder engine is based on a specially reinforced "semi-closed deck" engine block with forged aluminum alloy pistons, forged high-carbon steel connecting rods and sodium filled exhaust valves. This advanced powerplant incorporates Subaru AVCS (Active Valve Control System) variable valve timing technology to optimize the engine's volumetric efficiency throughout the rev band. This is the first application of this technology on a Subaru in North America. The large capacity intercooler includes a manually operated water spray feature to provide additional cooling.
Low tech, weak tranny? Haha! Best STi anywhere, finally the US gets the long end of the stick!!!

read more at
http://impreza.subaru.com/microsites...sti/wrxsti.jsp

Some specs:
300-horsepower @ 6,000 rpm, 300 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,000 rpm
2.5-liter intercooled and turbocharged 4-cylinder boxer engine with Active Valve Control System (AVCS)
Full-time All-Wheel Drive (AWD) with Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD)
Mechanical limited-slip rear differential
Suretrac viscous limited slip front differential
4-wheel fully independent sport-tuned suspension with inverted struts
6-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter
For the record thats 20 more hp and torque than the rest of the world gets. Booyah grandma!

Last edited by Br1t1shguy; 01-15-2003 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:16 PM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Originally posted by Jonno
USDM MY04 STi 2.5
224kw = 300hp = 120hp per litre
?? Compression Ratio
Hello,

According to http://www.subaru.net (a dealer's website, but nonetheless, very very cool), 8.2:1 is our STi's CR.

I'm willing to bet that the US STi runs lower boost and has a broader torque band than the Australian 2.0 TD05 twin-scroll setup.

Twin-scroll is basically used to get faster boost response. It will help with low end and midrange power, mostly. The 25% greater displacement will do the same for the US version.

Joel
Old 01-16-2003, 02:08 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Originally posted by Joel Gat
Hello,

According to http://www.subaru.net (a dealer's website, but nonetheless, very very cool), 8.2:1 is our STi's CR.

I'm willing to bet that the US STi runs lower boost and has a broader torque band than the Australian 2.0 TD05 twin-scroll setup.

Twin-scroll is basically used to get faster boost response. It will help with low end and midrange power, mostly. The 25% greater displacement will do the same for the US version.

Joel
Thats what I thought was gonna happen. The 2.5 satisfies our need for having about the same amount of power while giving it that extra ooomph at the low end. Now, does the AVCS that SOA is advertising on the 2.5l engine fill the gap on the high end? In other words, would the torque curve be fairly flat?

Tim
Old 01-16-2003, 02:20 PM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Hello,

Tim, an answer to that question would be even more purely speculative. Variable cam timing allows you to run the necessary overlap at low end, off-boost, for good efficiency without hurting emissions, while still reducing overlap at the top end, where higher boost is likely, which reduces blow through (intake charge venting out of the exhaust valves during the intake stroke), improves emissions, and improves power.

I'd guess that this is the best combination of motor parts ever stuck together by subaru for street use. I doubt the venerable 22B is any better. Well, except that I like the old body style better, but at least the WRX isnt "surprised" anymore.

Joel
Old 01-16-2003, 05:46 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX sedan
Here's that article from Garrett that highlights some interesting differences between the stock WRX turbo and the twin scroll turbo.
http://www.cmmstudio.com/G2001/g-innovate_tsth.html

Here's some more from Renault.
http://www.sae.org/automag/techbriefs_03-00/03.htm

So the twin-scroll turbo reduces engine combustion parasitics rather than improve the turbo's fan curve by reducing impeller inertia or doubling the number of impellers, etc.

Dave.