Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

Investing in proper upgrades...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 10:14 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX
Cobb's site says an STi is about 240hp/250ft-lbs stock. On their dyno.

Cobb's Stage 2 WRX (you have a downpipe) would put you around 225hp/225ft-lbs. The Cobb vf34 map says 315hp/295 ft-lbs. Thats wheel hp. You should be able to take an STi with that. (straight line, in the corners, you are still toast)

Even better would be a vf34 setup with a new intercooler + custom tune. That'd be pretty sick.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by mlittle24
Yeah, that would be pretty nice. I guess that might be the best bet for me.

Also, I was curious about highway speed. Roll-on in a WRX, STI or not, is pretty weak. Any suggestions to beaf up the power when at the 60-80 mph range. I've been with a couple of friends who get stomped by GS400's and such -- Any ideas?
A 2.0 liter car will always get stomped on at highway speeds by those with greater displacement. On the highway, it is torque that matters, not HP. You can maintain 75 mph on the highway with 30 HP -- but to get from 75 to 80, you need TORQUE. Bigger engines with more displacement do a better job of generating torque than small-displacement engines aided with a turbo. Hence, a lot of pickup trucks out there could walk away from an STI on the highway -- I've seen it happen in person.

The other challenge that turbo engines face on the highway is the fact that the max efficiency for the turbo requires very high (5500+) RPMs -- but you can't generate those kind of RPMs without 1) a radical downshift to 3rd or 2) getting up in the 90-100 MPH range in 4rth. At highway speed in 5th gear, you are running about 3200 RPM, barely enough to get the turbo's attention and 2k away from spinning it up to full pressure. Thus, the turbo engine is weak as a kitten at high cruising speed, while the 5.7 liter V-8 is putting out torque at any RPM.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
The SRT-4 can beat a stock WRX or STI on the highway because of two simple reasons: they have less turbo lag and they weigh about 800 pounds less. They are a rocket engine strapped to a roller skate; it is the only thing that gives the car a competitive advantage. Even with that power, SRT-4s will still fall victim to someone with actual displacement. I've seen one get passed easily by a non-turboed 300ZX, repeatedly. They played cat-and-mouse for about 30 miles, while I just coasted back and watched; by the end of it, the SRT-4 driver looked ready to cry.

The other problem that the WRX faces on the highway is drivetrain loss from AWD. Friction and loss of angular momentum from the AWD drivetrain means power loss, shifting lag and generally less (as much as 30%) WHP to the ground vs a 2WD setup.

I don't consider Audis to be trouble at all on the highway; especially not the TT, which is an incredibly underwhelming car (the Volkswagen Passat is faster). Audi's weigh several tons, especially the A6, and they don't get competitive until they reach the 3.2l model.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by mlittle24
True, the TT is a pathetic attempt at Audi's engineering feats -- stylish (if you like that kind of car), but overall a weak automobile.

Thanks for your input, ...I guess I'll be taking the back roads to my destinations and staying off the freeways unless there is traffic out To play hard stick to the curves and short red-light starts.
Those are more fun anyway
Old 04-25-2005, 04:39 PM

i test drove a used SVX on a short strech of highway a few months back, they seem to LAUNCH from highway speeds, i cant belive the acceleration at 70 mph
ive also test driven a used WRX and i must say the SVX would destroy it from a highway start, unless my butt dyno was very off that day :P