General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

'09 WRX Clutch failure...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:31 PM

Car Info: 09 Satin White WRX Wagon
'09 WRX Clutch failure...

Posting here to share the experience, get more info, input, insite, and pout a little (a lot).

Today my clutch gave out on me. A few warning signs that I noticed but waited to act on because of the busy schedule. The most noticeable being the screeching noises when starting the car. The next is noticing that tapping the clutch very lightly made the noise go away. Then the rough clutch peddle feeling. Followed by a loss of power when shifting. And the coup de gras, clutch stuck when at a stop and/or in low gear.

The screeching was the most ongoing issue. But the peddle and mechanism issues to failure came at me so fast I was stuck at a parking lot before I can research what may happen.

It's at a shop waiting to be inspected... my cousin went through the same issues with his 09 wrx (coincidentally, we have the same model from the same lot, bought two weeks apart, about a 10k mile difference). I have about 86K miles on it. He recently replaced his clutch, opting for a stage upgrade, but then recently brought it back to the shop and now find it could be the master cylinder and/or the clutch slave cylinder.

This being my first, stick shift/sporty car owned, would this be expected to fail at less than 100K miles? I have a truck going on 200k miles and the worst headache i had with that were O2 sensors.