Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

WRX 1st gear failure - am going against Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 05:03 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally posted by Jon P. Jacobs
Thank you both for your input, but California law makes clear that when a manufacturer cites abuse as reason not to cover a repair under warranty, they have the burden to prove it.

In short, a manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim without proving why.
Exactly. This would lead me to believe that because your client retained you, Subaru will likely settle as opposed to go through the cost and expense of "proving" the problem was a result of abuse. Of course, they probably won't settle until they have wasted a good deal of you and your client's time...
It makes me wonder - how does one go about proving abuse? Metallurgical analysis of the broken gear? Analysis of the gear oil? An individual testifying that the plaintiff was drag racing?

You may find the following link useful, although I'm skeptical as to how well the information you find there would hold up in court, it could help in preliminary negotiations...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/foru...?s=&forumid=64
Old 01-08-2003, 05:02 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Tranny flex

Alot of people have theorized that the transmission case is a weak point and flexes resulting in the gears to misalign. If you know anything about transmissions you know clearences are very very important and flex can kill a tranny faster than you would believe.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:27 AM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Wow, this sounds like one place where Kalifornia law is good! It is about time. I am pretty much a conservative independent, but certain times, the democrats are on the side of the small guy. I would venture to bet that this law was made by the dem's! Awesome...I will remember this.

Case flex, and thin gears are reason for the failures. This tranny is not suited for a 227HP AWD sedan.

I would go after them for a complete swap into a 6MT and rear ends and front LSD, + legal fees!

Andy
Old 01-17-2003, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Just curious

>My client is a 54 year old ASE Certified Mechanic who never pushed his WRX, yet at 3500 miles first gear lost several teeth and now Subaru claims owner abuse and won't repair it under warranty.

Wow,
1. 54 years old
2. ASE Certified Mechanic
3. Never pushed his WRX
4. Can not afford to fix the tranny, but can afford to find a lawyer like you.

Tell me, do you know for a fact that he never pushed his WRX? Can you help us define the word "push"? What is next? He is a father of 2, married for 30 years and own a house? Hence he does not "push" his WRX? Then why did he buy it then? Why not just get a Honda Civic (After all, he does not pushed his WRX, right?).

Oh I forgot, in CA it is manufactuer's responsibility to proof everything. Nice, at least it keep people like you employed. Good luck with the law suing. Try a different line next time.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: WRX 1st gear failure - am going against Subaru