Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

STI Engine failure (EJ207)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 01:39 PM

Car Info: H6-3.0T+GT35R
STI Engine failure (EJ207)

Well, I finially broke my STI motor.

Summary:

I'm trying to diagnose the cause of my EJ207 (JDM STI 02) engine failure. Here is a synopsis. Ran the car at the track, during 2nd session out I mis-shifted from 5 to 4th instead of 6th at redline, engine poped up to about 10kRPM. After pulling into the pits at the end of the run, car seems ok, except for a bit of what sounded like rod knock (knocking sound even at idle, near #1 piston).

Got home, checked compression, 70psi in #1 piston. Pulled engine out of car. Removed heads.. Heads and valves look fine. #1 piston sleve is scared and pulling #1 piston out reveals that the side skirts are heavly scared, almost as if there was no oil. Most scaring is on the larger skirt sides ( 90 degrees from the wrist pin). It looks almost like the piston was either way to tight tolerance, or somehow rocked side to side. The block will certainly need an overbore to fix, and of course new pistons. The question is, what happened. Is this failure related to the overrev? There didn't appear to be any "knock" damage of any kind.. I pulled the block apart, all crank bearings look a good as new.. Rods seemed ok too, although I havn't measured them yet.

Even the rings on the bad piston look ok, minus the scratching. EGTS while on the track never exceeded 1520F, and spark plugs looked great after the session. I was running race fuel as well. The other three pistons/cylinders look shiny and brand new.

Any ideas?
Old 11-25-2002, 03:22 PM
VIP Member

wrist pins on sti

Just out of curiosity, does the STI have floating wrist pins, or press in pins in the con rods.

I have heard or wrist pins binding up under high load/rpm it can put enough side load on a piston to break the side skirts 90 deg from the wrist pin.

I'm guessing there wasn't enough oil, or possibly clearence on the wrist pin and it wouldn't let the piston follow the cylinder wall (tried to **** in the bore due to this friction side load)

Take a careful look at that wrist pin, check to see if its bent, and the bushings and piston for signs of gauling in the wrist pin bushing and piston bores.

Also carefully check the con rods for bend and twist. Usually you can see it by putting two conrods on the same wrist pin and seeing if they lay flat on each other. If one is bent the big ends won't match up properly.

If thats the case may want to improve the oiling to the wrist pin next time around.

Larry

Here's some good diagnostic info:

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar80125.htm

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Service%2...r_scuffing.htm

By the way are the stock STI pistons antifricition coated ?

http://www.federal-mogul.com/sealedp...led_power.html

http://www.federal-mogul.com/sealedp...led_power.html

Last edited by hotrod; 11-25-2002 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:47 PM

Car Info: 2004+ Two Tone Green
sorry to hear that. its time to build it now i guess
Old 11-25-2002, 09:22 PM

my friend did the same thing in a Type R, and some of the valves were bent..
Old 11-26-2002, 12:29 AM

Car Info: MY02 GD WAGON, MY87 AW11
I remember on "another" site thread after thread after thread about people wanting to rev up to 10,000k. Look kiddies, here's you answer.

It sucks you had to find out this way man. Good luck on your rebuild. My prayers.

-scu
Old 11-26-2002, 08:59 AM

Car Info: 2004+ Two Tone Green
what set up are you running, besides the sti motor.

Quick Reply: STI Engine failure (EJ207)