Question: Student Loan Repayment (to pay or not to pay)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by Hobosexual

Once i weed through all the horse**** people say, there is some good input. Some people on here should stick to Nasioc or keep **** riding
Lol i like the stick it to the man idea.
But myself, all i have is credit debt but i have perfect credit since i make my payments ontime.

I usually try to sign up for free promotion credit offers and buy a bunch of **** then pay it off. I have to have atleast 6 lines of credit open with a balance on them all.
I get stressed when something ends up not getting paid but i always call their customer service and work with them and they reverse stuff most of the time.

My bank keeps upping my credit limit for free too since i pay off a transaction online as soon as it posts.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:48 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Lol i like the stick it to the man idea.
But myself, all i have is credit debt but i have perfect credit since i make my payments ontime.

I usually try to sign up for free promotion credit offers and buy a bunch of **** then pay it off. I have to have atleast 6 lines of credit open with a balance on them all.
I get stressed when something ends up not getting paid but i always call their customer service and work with them and they reverse stuff most of the time.

My bank keeps upping my credit limit for free too since i pay off a transaction online as soon as it posts.
Does that really help? Maybe I should start a credit/FICO thread to get educated on this stuff. I've read that you use 10% or less of the total credit line to raise your FICO score but that never generated a credit increase for me. I normally have had to call or have a credit card at 75%+ for a few months to have them automatically increase it.

Ofcourse that might explain why my FICO score randomly dropped 20 points in 6months.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:30 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by FXTbrah

Does that really help? Maybe I should start a credit/FICO thread to get educated on this stuff. I've read that you use 10% or less of the total credit line to raise your FICO score but that never generated a credit increase for me. I normally have had to call or have a credit card at 75%+ for a few months to have them automatically increase it.

Ofcourse that might explain why my FICO score randomly dropped 20 points in 6months.
Well my credit card is through my bank and they had seen that i hadnt missed a payment in 3 years and never generate interest. They decided to bump it up and then a while later they asked if i wanted to upgrade for free, lower rate and same terms. Not that i even use it that way to accrue interest.
Call balance @ 1-888-456-2227
Its free and anonymous. you can ask them any credit questions and they give great honest answers.

For example i purchase my tires through wheel works 6 months free financing credit card and pay them off in 6 months.

I purchased half of my mountain bike with a ge capital specialized credit card. 1.5 years free financing.

I also purchase stuff at best buy if its expensive enough using the free finance feature.

On top of that i use my credit card to borrow money for less than the billing cycle then pay it off so i have a zero balance when my payment is due.

Its best if you dont rack them up all the way each month as it shows you arent borrowing money. I have a 2500 limit credit card until i upgrade and i never spend more than 600 on the card each month.
But my promotion finance items are a one time thing except the tires.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:54 AM

Thanks, I'll give them a call. Fiance and I are saving up right now for a house so I want to make sure my FICO score is on point when we're finally ready to empty the savings on a down payment. She's at 760 and I'm at 740 last I checked.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:01 PM

Car Info: 2000 AW 2.5RS, 2013 Cadillac Escalade
Its pretty shady to not pay what you agreed to pay back in the first place. They did you a favor by letting you take out loans in the first place.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Thanks, I'll give them a call. Fiance and I are saving up right now for a house so I want to make sure my FICO score is on point when we're finally ready to empty the savings on a down payment. She's at 760 and I'm at 740 last I checked.

For me it's just been automatic. I never asked and they just keep upping it. When I applied for a southwest visa (highly recommended) they started me at a crazy amount, enough to buy a car, easy. They just upped me recently by 3500, out of the blue.

I don't think having a lower balance helps raise your credit level. It will keep your score up though!

My wife is 788 and I'm at 794. I've tried to hit over 800, keeping no balances on my cards, but it's never happened. FICO is some weird *** ****.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
For me it's just been automatic. I never asked and they just keep upping it. When I applied for a southwest visa (highly recommended) they started me at a crazy amount, enough to buy a car, easy. They just upped me recently by 3500, out of the blue.

I don't think having a lower balance helps raise your credit level. It will keep your score up though!

My wife is 788 and I'm at 794. I've tried to hit over 800, keeping no balances on my cards, but it's never happened. FICO is some weird *** ****.
Yea Jess has a Southwest card and they started her off with something like 15k. I should probably get one too since we travel multiple times a year. Those are some high FICO scores. I want us to get close to 800 before applying for a house loan.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:56 PM

Car Info: 2012 PBP STI
Your total credit limit also matters.
Meaning if you have 3 cards and their limits total 10,000, that's not enough for a "perfect" score.

Capital One has a credit tracker thing if you have one of their cards, and they have a nice chart that shows actual data points for different ratings, 6 categories, all letter scores, A-F or something.

In the credit limit category I believe it was 25k - 50k total credit limit for a B rating in that category, and 50k+ for an A rating.

Next time I log into there I can post the chart here if people care.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by frost0fractal
Meaning if you have 3 cards and their limits total 10,000, that's not enough for a "perfect" score.

Capital One has a credit tracker thing if you have one of their cards, and they have a nice chart that shows actual data points for different ratings, 6 categories, all letter scores, A-F or something.

In the credit limit category I believe it was 25k - 50k total credit limit for a B rating in that category, and 50k+ for an A rating.

I'm some where in the 40k+ range of total credit, I'd think that's a lot really.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Old School

Derp
Old 06-19-2014, 01:54 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Hobosexual
This is a moral thing.... not character. It shows an intelligent means to an end. Why bust my *** to payback all this debt when i can clearly cut corners and find a way around it, just as you would if you could not payback medical bills. **** these dumb societal rules that we "need" to follow.

ANARCHY!!!

Old 06-20-2014, 09:07 AM

I'm like the low end of B range. Guess I'll see about applying for the Southwest card since their limits are high.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 06-20-2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-01-2014, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 2012 PBP STI
As promised forever ago:

Question: Student Loan Repayment (to pay or not to pay)-creditscoreparams.png
Old 08-01-2014, 04:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
As promised forever ago:

Attachment 89679
This too, though I kinda like the grading scale a bit better:

Credit score in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Old School

Bump...

Somewhat relevant to the latter part of the conversation here, my wife and I got a update on our credit scores through a credit monitoring service we use.

Hers
Question: Student Loan Repayment (to pay or not to pay)-forumrunner_20140821_161255.jpg

Mine
Question: Student Loan Repayment (to pay or not to pay)-forumrunner_20140821_161304.jpg

I don't get it. We haven't changed anything really other than using a credit card I don't use usually for BAM stuff. (to keep it separate)

I feel like I could sneeze and the score might go up or down.

But hey, I'll take it.