Moving to the Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 11:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by Heedz
But it's pathetica!!!
You can't see your hand in front of your face!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:51 AM

Car Info: 99 BDP 2.5RS
Originally Posted by Krinkov
just remember that HMB and Pacifica are really nice this time of year so dont let it fool you. 6-7 months out of the year you are pretty much living in daily fog. And its not just fog sitting over your head, we're talking thick ground level fog where everything is wet ALL the time.
But the months where its sunny its nice
Originally Posted by glenspen
There's your answer. Pacifica is cheap and really close to the city and everything peninsula. Everybody is way focused on the over exaggerated fog and less focused on the free crab and cheap real estate
Haha, thank you! Luckily, Portland is pretty damp and foggy so that's not an issue for me. I prefer it to the constant sun.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I'm guessing you ended up finding something. How did it go?

I need to find a new place to live now. We want to be back out on the coast, basically where a few folks were talking about. I used to live across from the HMB airport and that was perfect, would totally work again. We are checking places out as we find them but it's a bit difficult since we have two small kids and a dog (5yr old 15lb Boston Terrier). If anyone knows of a 2 or 3 bedroom house to rent between HMB and Pacifica all the way up to Skyline, send me a message!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 AM

Due to limited time and neither of us being able to house search, we ended up in a new apartment building in Redwood City. We're not stoked on it, but we plan to find something else when our lease comes up.

We'd also like to move out to the coast and are highly considering HMB. Every time we drive out there it's awesome haha.

Good luck with your search!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 4日本車
I'd hate to live somewhere that moist without a well-enclosed garage for car storage. Rust city!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 AM

Unless you really don't take care of your car, I don't think rust is an issue.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Yeh no problems for me and ive been living on the coast for 8 years or so now. 1 Year in Chicago on the other hand destroyed the underside of one of my restored cars.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I'm guessing you ended up finding something. How did it go?

I need to find a new place to live now. We want to be back out on the coast, basically where a few folks were talking about. I used to live across from the HMB airport and that was perfect, would totally work again. We are checking places out as we find them but it's a bit difficult since we have two small kids and a dog (5yr old 15lb Boston Terrier). If anyone knows of a 2 or 3 bedroom house to rent between HMB and Pacifica all the way up to Skyline, send me a message!
I'll shoot you a pm
Old 04-23-2014, 02:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Bast
Due to limited time and neither of us being able to house search, we ended up in a new apartment building in Redwood City. We're not stoked on it, but we plan to find something else when our lease comes up.

We'd also like to move out to the coast and are highly considering HMB. Every time we drive out there it's awesome haha.

Good luck with your search!
Nice! That is more or less what we did, but with an apartment in San Mateo.

Originally Posted by vodka
I'd hate to live somewhere that moist without a well-enclosed garage for car storage. Rust city!
It's an issue, but it completely depends on where you live out there, the wind, how close you are to the water and all that. I am from Hawaii, so rust skeers the living poo out of me, and aside from my old 1968 Mini which was bursting at the seems after 8 months of living near the HMB airport, it has not really been an issue for me. You do need to be on top of any exposed metal, but it's not as bad as wet sides of islands in Hawaii or Boulder Creek for ambient moisture.

Originally Posted by Bast
Unless you really don't take care of your car, I don't think rust is an issue.
Depends on where you live, and how much exposed metal we are talking about. Growing up in Hawaii, if you lived close to the water, you could pretty much watch your car rust away. We lived up a little higher and never even had sort of an issue with rust, but if we drove down to the beach and did not wash the car, you could see it starting.

Originally Posted by ddavis
Yeh no problems for me and ive been living on the coast for 8 years or so now. 1 Year in Chicago on the other hand destroyed the underside of one of my restored cars.
Chicago, that's salt on the roads and the problem is as you drive you are basically spraying salt under the car constantly. My WRX is from CT, and it's pretty messed up underneath. I get new bolts every time something comes off.

On the coast though, it totally depends on where you live. Right there across from the HMB airport where I used to be, our house had little trails of rust from each nail, and my cars would weep from any exposed parts that were not an issue at our previous place in San Carlos. My Mini, literally started rusting from the inside and popped off some bad body work on the drivers (right) side. But, my Imprezas were fine. My Justy did have rust issues out there, and it got noticably worse during the time we lived out there.

I remember I went to change the light bulb by the front door, and the whole fixture crumbled in my hand. I am sure it was the same one that was installed in 1978 when the house was built, but that was all due to salt air. Houses two streets back from us did not have this issue, so it just depends on where you are.

Originally Posted by ddavis
I'll shoot you a pm
Much appreciated!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:41 PM

Car Info: 08 STi
Welcome to the Bay!

Did your bf get the industrial designer job they've been advertising for the past year?
Old 04-23-2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ench
Welcome to the Bay!

Did your bf get the industrial designer job they've been advertising for the past year?
He's a senior graphic designer.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Base Galaxy Blue
Welcome to the Peninsula!