Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

New airless tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 05:00 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
New airless tires

I just saw some pics of these new airless Michelin tires.. anyone heard anything about these. They are a really radical design.. very out of the box thinking going on there. Any thoughts comments ideas on the future of this technology ??

Joseph
Attached Thumbnails New airless tires-michelin1.jpg   New airless tires-michelin2.jpg   New airless tires-michelin3.jpg   New airless tires-michelin4.jpg  
Old 03-15-2005, 06:59 AM

Car Info: 2002 Alpine White WRX
This was posted before, it's called a tweel. Seems like a good idea if they fully develop, don't charge an arm and a leg for it and make them more eye pleasing.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:14 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
Yea they are rather fugly looking... but it seems like a really cool concept. Does Michelin have the patent on these ? anyone know ? and damn I thought I was bringing something new to the table here. but oh well.. thanks again.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
Thats pretty awesome!

Where can i buy them

That'd be awesome to drive around with something like that, i mean you can barely see it when the cars moving (from the side)... its like flying :banana:

Not to mention that, according to michelin's press release, they are w/in 4% of stock tires ride comfort/fuel economy/compression stiffnes while improving cornering (lateral) stiffness by 5x!!!!! I mean thats pretty insane!

Well, it was news to me
Old 03-15-2005, 09:19 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Originally Posted by Gleb83
This was posted before, it's called a tweel. Seems like a good idea if they fully develop, don't charge an arm and a leg for it and make them more eye pleasing.
Would the final product be "uncovered" like the pics, or are those purely for demonstration purposes? It would be nice not to ever worry about blow outs.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:17 PM

Car Info: 2002 Sooby WRX (not runing right)
no they would put a sidewall on it for better looks.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:41 PM

Car Info: 87 Honda Accord LX
Here is a link to my post in the video section:

https://www.i-club.com/forums/videos-142/michelins-new-airless-tire-87887/
Old 03-17-2005, 12:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
No sale here. I value the ability to vary my tire pressure too much.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by meilers
No sale here. I value the ability to vary my tire pressure too much.
Why?

If theres a tire w/ the same comfort as your inflated to reccomended pressure, yet with 5x the lateral stability (thats a lot more than your tire would provide if inflated for the track (+5-10psi from manufacturers rec.)

Thinking about it, i guess for offroad use it migh be nice? since you can reduce pressure for traction? thats all i can think of... Please edify me
Old 03-17-2005, 08:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by kravdra
Why?

If theres a tire w/ the same comfort as your inflated to reccomended pressure, yet with 5x the lateral stability (thats a lot more than your tire would provide if inflated for the track (+5-10psi from manufacturers rec.)

Thinking about it, i guess for offroad use it migh be nice? since you can reduce pressure for traction? thats all i can think of... Please edify me
Reccommended pressure is for n00bs

Yes, being able to reduce the pressure for off-road driving is just one use. You can also run very high pressures (38-40lbs) for highway and track driving and get better response and gas mileage, and drop down to normal pressure (32-34) for everyday streets.

There is also the issue of expense; I'm certain these "tweels" will be 3-5 times as much as a normal tire, and for different conditions, you'd have to buy multiple sets. When all I need is an air pump to change the handling characteristics of my car, why go to multiple sets of expensive wheels? Certainly the no-flat aspect is tempting, but I think in 18 years I have had three flat tires, and two of them (knock on wood) were in my own driveway, after a slow leaker ran out overnight.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:07 AM
VIP Member

hehe, stock recommended pressure is more comfortable

But yea, i run my summer tires at like 40 psi, and my totally worn all seasons at about 40 psi as well... I just leave them there since thats what i used for track (summer) and rally-x (all seasons). I'm not skilled enough to tune my handling by changing the pressure, so yea, i'm a n00b... so, aside from the price, i think these tires are perfect for me
Old 03-23-2005, 07:21 PM

i work for wabash national (a top tier semi-trailer manufacturer) and talked to the michelan rep about these and he said that they do well in heavy duty and military applications, but for everyday oem tire use, the noise levels are currently too high. Just a concept, not a product.