Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

Experiences with road hazard warranties covering all tires.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:51 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX Wagon, 06 Forester XT, 99 Legacy Sedan
Experiences with road hazard warranties covering all tires.

Ok so I have been putting up with this for quite a while and I am sure other subaru owners have dealt with this frustration as well. I am curious to hear what everyone's experiences (good or bad) have been.

Scenario:

You buy a brand new set of tires from one of the many Big Name tire retailers and get sold on their optional road hazard protection plan. This covers the tire in the event that it is damaged from regular use and needs to be replaced. You drive for XX months or miles when you encounter a road hazard that results in a sidewall bubble (huge pot hole or curb) or anything else that causes damage that cannot be repaired.

Here is where it gets tricky... Because Subaru states that all tires must be within 1/4 inch circumference (about 2/32 tread depth) of each other to avoid possible damage to the drive train, replacing just one tire with a brand new one often times is not possible due to their slightly different sizes.

Good thing you bought the road hazard warranty on all tires right?

WRONG

In my experience, most of these large named tire retailers will only allow you to use the road hazard warranty on the tire that was damaged. Leaving us Subaru owners wondering WTF do we do wire one tire that is bigger than the other 3...

1. Risk the chance of drivetrain damage and only have one tire replaced

2. Never buy road hazard warranty protection again and buy a whole new set of 4 tires

3. Buy the tire from Tire Rack and have them shave off the appropriate tread so they match the others ($25-$35 each just for the service)

4. Go out to your car and tag a curb on all 3 other tires causing them to have to be replaced. (not recommended)

The only partial solution I have found is with Firestone. I say partial because it is REALLY hit or miss with which shops will not budge on the issue and which ones understand/could care less.

Roseville used to be one of the better, more understanding locations but that has changed with the new management.

I just got off the phone with the Manager at the Lincoln, CA location who is more than happy to let me exercise the road hazard warranty on all four tires. Even funnier is that he doesnt have the four tires in stock and will need to have them sent over from the Firestone in Roseville... who just got done telling me face to face that they cannot let me use the warranty on the other 3 tires.

I guess what I dont understand is:

As a store manager for Firestone... What the hell difference does it make to you whether you have a customer who uses a road hazard warranty on one tire and pays you a pro-rated $35 for a new tire or pays you $175 using their road hazard warranty on all four tires plus buyer new road hazard warranty on all four new tires?

I dont see where the downside is at all.

What say you I-Club?

Last edited by Harry Maneuvers; 06-11-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
It depends on the company. Discount Tire will prorate the remaining tires based on tread while Merchant/Big-O/NTB, Firestone (from my experience), and Tire Rack only warranty the damaged tire.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX Wagon, 06 Forester XT, 99 Legacy Sedan
Good to hear.

When I dealt with this a couple years ago I literally called all of the big name retailers here in Sacramento and Roseville.

Firestone in Roseville (before the new management) was the ONLY one that I spoke to that said they dont mind.

****Edit****

I just spoke to America's Tire in Roseville who said that the damaged tire would be replaced 100% (including mounting balancing ect) while the other 3 will be replaced at the standard pro-rated amount depending on the tread that is left.

Awesome contribution Brfatal!!! Thanks!

Last edited by Harry Maneuvers; 06-11-2013 at 03:00 PM.