Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

Call for a new Tires ... which ones are the best

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 01:00 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
If you're concerned about braking, that's the single biggest reason to upgrade tires. Most of us do just fine on average tires for "spirited" driving since there's no stopwatch (in fact, I've been on my snow tires since december, II can't complain about how they grip). But for panic stops, the stickier the better. Since you mentioned wet performance, I'd toss a coin between S03s, GSD3s (I've driven both) and the new Hankook RS2s, which are priced like economy tires but perform very well.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:18 PM

The Hankooks are very intriging but so new I am a little hesitant. OK everyone says they are great dry but how do they wear? I'm not just talking about life (though that is important) but what about the quality of the tire half way through its life?

Now for the question that will undoubtedly get me flamed as a newb, but here goes. What is the negative impact of having a "too soft" sidewall on the street? I see that all the time on the T1s (frequently from people who have likely never driven on them, I expect) and occasionally on the GSD3s.

I have seen some insinuation that it makes for a weaker tire against hydroplaning but the good rep of the GSD3 make me suspicious of that.

Any 4th grade english answers would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:33 PM

Soft sidewalls are a blessing and curse. For everyday driving, you get better ride comfort from them. But when you are wringing out the car, just to have fun or autocross or whatever, stiffer is better because you get sharper turn-in and better steering feedback. The GSD3s have significantly softer sidewalls than S03s; not only have I owned both types of tires, but a few months ago I had a set of 225/45R17 GSD3s and 235/40R17 S03s sitting in my garage side by side, unmounted. The S03s had noticably stiffer sidewalls. If you're more worried about "street" performance, ride, and wear, the GSD3 is probably the better tire for you. My big complaints about it were the softer sidewalls (not horrible, just not as good as the S03) and its lack of heat resistance. When you work them hard on the track or at autocross, they get really greasy, and the tread pattern subjects it to abnormal wear. As a street tire, they'd be tough to beat. both tires have great rain traction and braking performance. If you search my posts in this forum, you'll find I've written quite a lot about these two tires in particular.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:55 AM

One more question, I think. You mentioned the Hankooks earlier on. They would cost me about $120 less than the GSD3s after rebates. Do you (or anyone) know if the Goodyears are that much (any) better than the Z212s all things considered?

Thanks for all the info.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by enigma
One more question, I think. You mentioned the Hankooks earlier on. They would cost me about $120 less than the GSD3s after rebates. Do you (or anyone) know if the Goodyears are that much (any) better than the Z212s all things considered?

Thanks for all the info.
toyo t1R's in 225/45/17 cost me $596 out the door inc mounting and balance.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:14 PM

So how long would you expect the GSD3s and T1s to last?
Old 07-31-2005, 09:47 PM

Thanks for all the info.
I would probably buy the Hankooks personally at this point. There's little long-term or extended mileage data on them, but initial reviews are quite good, and it's worth experimenting for the difference in price IMO. I would say 25-30k with moderate spirited driving for either tire probably. Maybe more.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
So how long would you expect the GSD3s and T1s to last?
My set of GS-D3s are about 15,000 miles along and look in amazing shape; I fully expect to get a full 30,000 out of them. I've got at least 1/8th of an inch depth in the grooves and they are wearing nice and square.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:59 PM

Car Info: '06 CGM Fo/12 SWP Sti
Kumho ECSTA ASX

I got the Kumho ECSTA ASX because I wanted something good for the winter (we just had or 2d wettest ever) The grip has been good. The wear rating is 420.

Kumho is made by Hangook so they will be similar

I run my Bridgestones in the summer and then change to the ASX's in the winter (I have 2 sets of wheels -serious deal that was)

Fuzions are made by Bridgestone - budget version. Probably good for the money

CGM Sti
Old 08-17-2005, 12:59 PM

Car Info: PSM 2K2 WRX Wagon
Obviously Tire Rack is only going to rate (or even know about) the tires that they sell. But they appear to sell most and so they are a good source of info, if not complete. So, they have some clearly defined biases which you must take into consideration.

Curiosity did get me to look at the Grassroots website to see what they had to say. I didn't any reviews but I did see what appeared to be one of their cars with Falken stickers all over it. I don't know if they have those stickers on the car because they love the tires or because they are sponsored by them. If the latter, that would put them in a whole new world of biased.

I've yet to see an unbiased source review all of the tires that interest the folks here on the forums. The best you can do is try to read them all and make a semi-informed decision.
Tire Rack is very aware of Falkan. How could they not be? Do you think that Luke sees things written about Toyo this & Falkan that & has no idea about what is being typed about? He knows. They know. I assume that the co. decided not sell brands that they do not sell, which is different than not knowing that these companies exist. (IIRC @ SEMA, a Falkan rep told me that while testing at TireRack's test site, the 615 set a new track record.)

Do yourself a favor: go to a bookstore & pick up an issue. From what I can tell, (aside from their envolvement w/ SPEED's SCR) they are a very professional organization. It is a step above SCC & Turbo as far as introducing & explaining concepts useful to racers & automotive enthusiests(sp?). They are not biased (IMHO) but are focused on inexpensive, focused performance. I could go on and on, but, really, flip through an issue when you get some time.

Originally Posted by qingshan
...Kumho is made by Hangook so they will be similar
Are they? I am not so sure about that...They appear to be headquartered in different parts of Korea & do not share locations across Asia.

http://www.kumhousa.com/About/WorldO...s.asp?ContID=2

http://www.hanta.co.kr/eng/global_network/index.asp

Besides, both are relatively new to the mainstream American tire market w/ little to differentiate themselves from each other to the casual consumer. Ther are both known to be inepensive alternatives to big name tire brands. If they were part of the same co., why divide potential customers? Plus Hankook appears to be much more interested in becoming a domestic OEM tire supplier than Kuhmo, supplying tires to Ford for the F-150 & apparently GM for the Saturn Ion. IIRC, Kuhmo only supplies tires for Korean cars (sold in America) like the Suzuki Reno.