Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

which is better in the rain, summer or all season?

Old 10-19-2009, 03:31 PM

Car Info: 2009 wrx
which is better in the rain, summer or all season?

i've been looking around for new tires, and i've read that summer tires can be good in the rain. but are summer tires better in the rain than all season tires?

i live in the san francisco bay area where the temperature is not too cold and not too hot. i have summer tires right now, but i'm thinking of replacing them with all seasons for more flexibility, ie. occasional trips to tahoe.

i've read up on the pros and cons of each, but i can't seem to find out whether all seasons are generally better in the rain than summer tires or not. any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
you just answered your own question. you plan to go to tahoe but your considering getting summer tires? thats a no-no automatically. get all season if you plan to drive up to tahoe
Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 PM

i guess it's like going to tahoe is one of the reasons that i might consider getting all season. i wouldn't go with the summer tires. i'm not that much of a noob

i'm just trying to see if the combination of tahoe-going-ability and the possibly better rain traction of all seasons is worth switching out summer tires
Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by xhengmanx
you just answered your own question. you plan to go to tahoe but your considering getting summer tires? thats a no-no automatically. get all season if you plan to drive up to tahoe
+1 in summer you don't see rain, hints the name summer tires...

all season tires or for what's in the name of the tires, all season. I run snow tires for the winter...
Old 10-20-2009, 05:11 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
+1 in summer you don't see rain, hints the name summer tires...

all season tires or for what's in the name of the tires, all season. I run snow tires for the winter...
Not quite Matt

Summer tires with any decent tread are generally GREAT in the rain. The ONLY reason to get all seasons is if you're going to see some snow or if you want harder compound tires that will last longer. Otherwise a good summer tire will outperform any all season in the dry and in the rain.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Not quite Matt

Summer tires with any decent tread are generally GREAT in the rain. The ONLY reason to get all seasons is if you're going to see some snow or if you want harder compound tires that will last longer. Otherwise a good summer tire will outperform any all season in the dry and in the rain.

Thanks
-- Ed
thanks for the info, ed! that's what i was lookin for