Videos Share your video finds and personal videos. No pRon or NWS videos, please.

A few kenpo moves

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 02:38 AM

the guy in the first link was at the E3 show just a few months ago, he put on a sparring show for some fighting game every hour. pretty sick stuff
Old 07-17-2005, 08:05 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
Originally Posted by antdiesel3
By the way it's not Kempo it's JKD. Look it up if you don't know...
finally, someone stated it was not KEMPO, haha

KEMPO is a totally different style than Jeet Kune Do.

JKD main purpose is to take down the enemy in minimal moves and with speed, power and accuracy.

kempo is another style, but impossible to use the techniques on the street.
JKD is real life situation fighting as other styles require multiple and multiple moves.

just look at UFC, you dont see fighters using the fancy techniques.
its punch and kick and then grappling on the ground.

just my $.02
Old 07-20-2005, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 2004 Prodrive Suabru Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by AWDrifter21

KEMPO is a totally different style than Jeet Kune Do.

JKD main purpose is to take down the enemy in minimal moves and with speed, power and accuracy.

JKD is real life situation fighting as other styles require multiple and multiple moves.

just look at UFC, you dont see fighters using the fancy techniques.
its punch and kick and then grappling on the ground.

just my $.02

Very good...there was an excellent article a few months back in Black Belt Magazine that chronicled Bruce Lee's philosophy of "no style as a style" as it now applies to MMA (mixed-martial-arts) training. You see Bruce was quite ahead of his time with respect to the concept of JKD (Jeet Kune Do-Cantonese loosely translated means "way of the intercepting fist") There is a ton of info available on his art some I will warn is not what Bruce intended.

Jeet Kune Do unlike many "sporting arts" has only one belt which is Black Sash. There are ten levels before black sash and you demsonstrate certain proficiency in techniques to pass a test for each level. I am currently training for level 6. I am not an authority but have learned from an excellent teacher, both history of my art and proper technique. Here is the link to my school http://www.derderian-academy.com/. Here is a link to the Guru who my Sifu is certified under http://www.ewmaa.com/default.html. Take my word for it Kevin Siemens is one of the (if not the) best martial artists I have ever seen. I have been to (2) of his seminars and the guy is unbelievable. He trains atheletes, MMA fighters as well as teaching a course at Cornell University.

To be certified in JKD you must be certified under either Bruce Lee, Dan Inosanto (Bruce Lee's best student) or someone directly under them. My Sifu (Cantonese for father) is certified under Kevin Siemens so that makes me 5th rung under Bruce Lee if you think about it. Not many arts can say the same.

By the way did you know that JKD is mostly based on Wing Chung Kung Fu. It was the first art Bruce studied. Most of the trapping in JKD comes from Wing Chung. JKD doesn't stop there it borrows from Western Boxing, Muay Thai, Kempo, Jiu Jitsu, Akido, Fencing just to name a few. When Bruce first began teaching and opened his schools the style he taught was called Jun Fang (Bruce's real name) Kung Fu. He later closed his schools and abandoned the name Jun Fang. You will hear the art sometimes referred to as Jun Fang Jeet Kune Do, this is why.

There is an excellent DVD that came out around 02',that has a lot of footage of Bruce and Dan Inosanto. I believe it is called Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do. I have it somewhere, but I just move and can't imagine where it is. It is a must view if you are interested in JKD.

Anthony
Old 07-21-2005, 12:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
It's not KEMPO, it's KENPO and JKD. Read the post:
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
OK, This is where people get it wrong, the UFC is a controlled situation, not a street fight, same as boxing and other "sports", it has rules, many proven techniques in self defense systems are illegal in events like the UFC and Valle Tudo. You're fighting on a padded mat with padded gloves for crying out loud. You can't just poke your opponent in the eye, punch him in the adams apple, kick him in the nuts or even strike him on the ground. That's why certain systems like this have been developed over hundreds of years, they work for the most part and give an advantage to the practitioner. The philosophy of a streetfight is to end the fight as fast as possible with the least amount of effort. That's why you strike "soft spots". It's not to easy to grapple or perform an armbar or ankle lock on concrete, even a bjj expert wouldn't want to go to the ground in a streetfight, and nobody wants a boxing slugfest. Speaking from experience most people who train in martial arts don't do it because they like beating people up, they do it for many other reasons such as self confidence, fitness, enlightenment and even as a stress or social outlet. Martial arts were meant to give the student or master an edge on his opponent, not make him an invencible super man. You'd be suprised how many people talk trash or try to pick fights if they know you study martial arts. A true enthusiast keeps an open mind, is constantly learning and always evolving.
The UFC is not a streetfight! It has rules just like any other sport! It's kinda hard to grapple on the concrete when somebody is biting you and trying to shove your face into the assphalt!
Please' enlighten us.
Umm, so is KENPO

JKD isn't a style, it's a concept wich is constantly evolving and has borrowed techniques from every style, including KENPO

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 07-21-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:04 PM

Car Info: 2004 Prodrive Suabru Impreza WRX
JKD isn't a style, it's a concept wich is constantly evolving and has borrowed techniques from every style, including KENPO[/QUOTE]

You are partly right there, as it is taugh JKD is a style. Think about it, if JKD were not a style there would be no core principles, techniques, and certainly no levels. You are right in saying that JKD is a concept in the sense that Bruce never intended JKD to become a style. Your JKD is not necessarily my JKD. It is about learning, retaining what is useful and dicarding what is not. JKD is what works for you as an idividual.

There are however core principles of JKD that you would undoubtedly learn from any accredited JKD school. Such as 5 ways of attack (single direct attack, attack by combination, progressive indirect attack, attack by drawing, hand immobilization attack), Stop-hitting, economy of motion, footwork, low line kicking, block & counters (24) to name a few.

You are expected to know and demonstrate the techniques you have learned correctly. Only after you have studied the art for some time are you allowed to "improvize" and slowly it becomes your JKD. The cool thing about Jeet is that it is a true "street" style. Some of the first techniques you are taught are eye gouges. You are taught how to end a fight quickly but also you learn that the situation dictates the response.

I will never prescribe to the notion that one style is better than another. Each style has its place. What Bruce did was try to take the most effective techniques from each art and blend them into something that worked for him. In doing so he opened a lot of minds to thinking outside the box.

I will never claim to know it all, but I do know a good deal about my art.

Anthony
Old 07-22-2005, 04:09 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by antdiesel3
Your JKD is not necessarily my JKD. It is about learning, retaining what is useful and dicarding what is not. JKD is what works for you as an idividual.

Name:  metaphors_nailonthehead.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  9.7 KB
Old 08-10-2005, 05:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
What took me so long to find this page?

SO much chest-beating going on here haha. Actually, Bruce Lee's name was Lee Siu Long

I like Muay Thai haha.

THat is all
Old 08-11-2005, 09:29 AM

http://static.hugi.is/misc/shockwave/fight.swf
might have seen this before looks familiar, but cool and relates to this thread

well sort of...
Old 08-12-2005, 09:51 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
i seen that a long time ago, and i think it still rocks
Old 08-12-2005, 11:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
curious, how many of you actually study?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:12 AM

studied shaolin kenpo for about 3yrs but couldn't pay any more. was fun while i was doing it though.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by JDMKW
http://static.hugi.is/misc/shockwave/fight.swf
might have seen this before looks familiar, but cool and relates to this thread

well sort of...
Haha, that's great. Defenitely creative.

Originally Posted by pbchief2
About 12 years
Old 08-18-2005, 02:24 PM

Car Info: POS
wow that stick fighter thing is a net classic.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by pbchief2
Me me me!
Old 08-25-2005, 12:48 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
Originally Posted by hrb93
They were there first. If you don't like it, "MOVE"
he's got a point ><