Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Thanks Fine Line Imports!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 AM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
Thanks Fine Line Imports!

Thanks Fine Line Imports! I can't say enuff about FLI! Being the perfectionist I am and how **** I am with my car, I never thought I would find a shop that I could trust. After going to FLI for TBE and tune year ago, I was very impressed at the work they did. After months of figuring out what I wanted to do with my car and the goals I had in mind, thanks Miles and Ryan for helping me create this "Sleeper". After a few weeks of FLI having my car for the install and tune I was ready to check the car out. All I can say is WOW, Steve did some amazing work. The car looks stock, pop the hood and all you can say is WOW! After driving the car for few days to make sure everything was running right I had noticed some bogging issues, idle issues and cold starts problems running E85. After talking to Miles the tuner at FLI, he told me to come in the next day and drop it off for few days for him to fix these issues. Few days later I get the car and issues are still there! At this point I am in flames I'm so mad. This 07 stock ECU is just junk, I can't tell you how much time Miles spent trying to figure the stock ECU out. After trying several times and way to many hours later on the stock 07 ECU we came to the decision to go after market ECU. Went with Link G4 Plug & Play STi ECU, and new intake air temp sensor. Droped my car off for 4 days to have the Link G4, and intake air temp installed. Picked up the car, and drove for a day to make sure everything was running right. WOW what a difference it made. Running E85 has been nothing but issues on the stock 07 ECU. The car runs amazing, no more bogging, idle or cold start issues. Link G4 to the rescue! I cant say enuff good things about Fine Line Imports. Miles thanks again for the awesome tune and all the hard work and late hours you put into my car. If FLI can satisfy me, they can do the same for anyone out there! More info on car at Fine Line Imports website under blog section called "Factory Fresh 07 STi"
Old 10-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
Thanks Fine Line Imports! I can't say enuff about FLI! Being the perfectionist I am and how **** I am with my car, I never thought I would find a shop that I could trust. After going to FLI for TBE and tune year ago, I was very impressed at the work they did. After months of figuring out what I wanted to do with my car and the goals I had in mind, thanks Miles and Ryan for helping me create this "Sleeper". After a few weeks of FLI having my car for the install and tune I was ready to check the car out. All I can say is WOW, Steve did some amazing work. The car looks stock, pop the hood and all you can say is WOW! After driving the car for few days to make sure everything was running right I had noticed some bogging issues, idle issues and cold starts problems running E85. After talking to Miles the tuner at FLI, he told me to come in the next day and drop it off for few days for him to fix these issues. Few days later I get the car and issues are still there! At this point I am in flames I'm so mad. This 07 stock ECU is just junk, I can't tell you how much time Miles spent trying to figure the stock ECU out. After trying several times and way to many hours later on the stock 07 ECU we came to the decision to go after market ECU. Went with Link G4 Plug & Play STi ECU, and new intake air temp sensor. Droped my car off for 4 days to have the Link G4, and intake air temp installed. Picked up the car, and drove for a day to make sure everything was running right. WOW what a difference it made. Running E85 has been nothing but issues on the stock 07 ECU. The car runs amazing, no more bogging, idle or cold start issues. Link G4 to the rescue! I cant say enuff good things about Fine Line Imports. Miles thanks again for the awesome tune and all the hard work and late hours you put into my car. If FLI can satisfy me, they can do the same for anyone out there! More info on car at Fine Line Imports website under blog section called "Factory Fresh 07 STi"
Thank you so much for your kind words Tim. Ryan, Steve and I are very happy that you can now enjoy your really fast sleeper STI. We have not seen someone who takes such great care of there car as you do.

Let us know if there are any issues,

Fine Line Imports

--
Have a great day,

--
Miles Hechtman
Fine Line Imports LLC
www.finelineimports.net
www.fliblog.wordpress.com
tuning@finelineimports.net
707.525.1536 PH
707.575.4134 FAX
Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Car Info: Java Black 04' STI
I 2nd that!!! FLI is the best. Ryan, Miles and Steve are so knowledgable and friendly, I would not trust my car to anyone else. I am doing a very similar build with my 04 Sti. I will be doing E85 first and then going with a Dom 2.5 next year. After seeing how well yours turned out I can't hardly wait. Props to you and your super-clean Sti and props to FLI!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 04:59 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
ooooooooo nice Link G4

Any pictures?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:56 PM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
I'm not sure if they took pictures of the link G4. I know they mounted it behind the glove box up high to hide the wires. They drilled small hole behind glove box for the Link G4 wire to tune with and the wire for the Link Display unit to go into glove box! There is more info on car at www.finelineimports.net under blog section, under Factory Fresh 07 STi. There is link to it next to the Fine Line Imports number at bottom of the forum. Link G4 Plug & Play ECU is amazing! Solved all my issues I had with the crap 07 stock ECU. I can't say enuff about Miles and his knowledge with the Link! Thanks again FLI.......
Old 10-20-2010, 10:33 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
I'm not sure if they took pictures of the link G4. I know they mounted it behind the glove box up high to hide the wires. They drilled small hole behind glove box for the Link G4 wire to tune with and the wire for the Link Display unit to go into glove box! There is more info on car at www.finelineimports.net under blog section, under Factory Fresh 07 STi. There is link to it next to the Fine Line Imports number at bottom of the forum. Link G4 Plug & Play ECU is amazing! Solved all my issues I had with the crap 07 stock ECU. I can't say enuff about Miles and his knowledge with the Link! Thanks again FLI.......
Its kind of odd that you had so many problems with the stock ECU. I know the cold start can be an issue with E85 when using Cobb ProTuner to tune the stock ECU as it does not allow access to the cranking enrichment maps. I usually use the OpenEcu tools to solve this. The other issues are a bit of a puzzle, as there's really no reason the stock ECU can't handle this kind of setup. Of course standalones can give you better control in certain situations, but I usually don't find them necessary until you approach the 500whp range.

Thanks
-- Ed

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 10-20-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Its kind of odd that you had so many problems with the stock ECU. I know the cold start can be an issue with E85 when using Cobb ProTuner to tune the stock ECU as it does not allow access to the cranking enrichment maps. I usually use the OpenEcu tools to solve this. The other issues are a bit of a puzzle, as there's really no reason the stock ECU can't handle this kind of setup. Of course standalones can give you better control in certain situations, but I usually don't find them necessary until you approach the 500whp range.

Thanks
-- Ed
Hi Ed,

we at FLI also maximize the factory ECU. However, the 2007 STI OEM ECU has different throttle mapping characteristics vs. a 2006 STI or a 2008 STI. FLI feels that when a customer spends a good amount of money on there car, I want to give them a very dialed tune using the best ECU possible. In my opinion, this a Link G4 ECU. I can make the customer very happy with the expandability of resolution which the factory ECU does not have.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Thank you Wally and Tim for your kind words. We strive to be as helpful as possible with the parts and services we offer at our shop.

Miles Hechtman

--
Have a great day,

--
Miles Hechtman
Fine Line Imports LLC
www.finelineimports.net
www.fliblog.wordpress.com
tuning@finelineimports.net
707.525.1536 PH
707.575.4134 FAX