Dumpster Lost a post? Look for it here. Dirty, vulgar, and other offensive post are RIP here and emptied monthly.

Fine Line Imports... Sorry, I opened my mouth too soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 01:33 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza Wagon... 1.8 Litres of fury!
Thumbs down Fine Line Imports... Sorry, I opened my mouth too soon

I was in need of an engine and a fellow I-Club member offered me his 1.8, which was being removed and replaced with a 2.0 turbo by Fine Line Imports. I worked out the details of picking it up, and everything was set to go. That is, until I went to Fine Line to pick the engine up.

Along with the engine, I was supposed to get the wiring, ECU, and a complete header back exhaust. I got everything except the ECU which I forgot to ask for, and the radiator.

When I asked them what happened to the radiator, they said they needed it for the swap. But I already confirmed that they had a radiator for the swap, included in the front clip they got from Japan. Also, one of their employees slipped up and told me over the phone that they put the radiator in a DIFFERENT car. WELL IT WAS MY RADIATOR, NOT THEIRS TO GIVE TO THEIR FRIEND OR WHATEVER. It would not surprise me if they sold the radiator to someone as a new part.

The bottom line is that the radiator was mine, and they obviously have no qualms about taking parts from people and selling / distributing them without asking, and not offering to make it right. So don't give them a chance to rip you off, get a real shop to work on your Subie like LIC Motorsports. LIC is more honest, more professional, has better knowledge of Subarus, and most importantly will not take your parts and give them away.

For me to buy another radiator will cost ~$140 bucks. This is money I do not have, for a project that has already cost me too much.

If FLI will make these kinds of choices, what other corners will they cut?
Old 05-27-2005, 01:44 PM

Car Info: 03' Subaru Impreza WRX - R.I.P.
FYI,
I was the one who sold him the 1.8L engine.

Hey Matt, you should calm down and try to be more reasonable.

FLI gave me a call this morning and explained the whole situation. They were holding the radiator in case they had a problem with the engine swap, like they need some new hoses or the jdm radiator does not fit with the jdm brackets, etc.

FLI has been in business for several years and they would not make it so far by "cutting corners" I have been happy with the few times I have taken my car to them and I have confidence they will do a good job on my engine swap.

They are returning to me any items they did not use for the swap, so if you need anything I can let you have it when I get my parts back. I don't think you are accomplishing anything by slandering anybody.

-Jon
Old 05-27-2005, 01:47 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
and on that note this thread should be dumped...
Old 05-27-2005, 01:59 PM

Car Info: N/A
.... Umm sry John

Last edited by gh0st shad0w; 05-27-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Hello,

I just want to clerify this situation between Jon, Matt and Fine Line Imports. Fine Line Imports is performing an JDM STI engine conversion into Jon's 1995 Impreza. Jon sold Matt his old 1.8 liter motor with engine harness and full exhaust system for $80 or $100 I am not sure which price it was. Fine Line Imports did not sell Matt anything, this sale was strickly between Matt and Jon. I told Matt when he arrived a day late (with no phone call) that we might need to use Jon's orignal radiator for his car if we needed it for some reason. Some reasons might be that the STI jdm radiator does not work either for fitment issues or because it is clogged. We support our customers and we were not going to give away Jon's radiator untill the conversion was completed. After we loaded up the motor and exhaust system (which we did not get paid for or charge Jon), Matt started asking FLI if we had any free stuff to give out ( WRX shift *****, any other parts for his car, rear sway bars, etc....). At this time I felt that Matt was trying to take advantage of the situation. As far as the ECU, like Matt said FLI did not know that the ECU was part of the package deal. We do not need the ECU. Fine Line Imports supports all of our customers and is an honest business. Anyone who does business with us know this. We strive for great customer service and support all of our customers. I am sorry that Matt did not get what he wanted.

Hey Matt, when we are done with the conversion, by all means come by and get the radiator if that is o.k. with Jon.

Sometimes business' get put in the middle and unforturtually this is one of those times.

If anyone has any concerns, please contact us via email or phone.

Have a wonderful 3 day weekend everyone!

Miles Hechtman
Fine Line Imports
sales@finelineimports.net
707.525.1536 PH