Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

My result from EQ Tuning...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 PM

Car Info: EQ Tuned * Corn Juiced '05 WRX
My result from EQ Tuning...

Well, my girl really got fondled by the people over @ EQ Tuning today.

Got there around 10:15AM, they started installing the MBC around 10:30AM and started tuning about 11AM or so. Ed finished tuning about 4:30PM. About 5 hours of straight tuning....holy crap. I guess Ed was true to his word on the EQ website about spending at least 3 hours with some serious time to extract power.

On 91 octane, the car dished out 282WHP/257.1TQ. I think before Ed was going to call it quits, the dyno read about 279WHP, but Ed did a few more pulls and was able to extract some more power. YAY! I was planning on going E85 today, but before I got to EQ, I made the decision to just stay 91 for a while. In the future I'll get an E85 tune for sure.

Ed says I'm pushing about 15psi but when I smashed on it (and holy crap I got thrown back into my seat...I couldn't help but keep a grin even after I slowed down ) my boost gauge read about 20psi. Maybe something's funky with my gauge, but either way, OMG. The car feels great and I couldn't be happier.

During the tuning process, Ed concluded that I had an exhaust leak that was originating from the header area; quite possibly from the header-to-engine and/or header-to-uppipe. He advised me that my car starts up and idles funky most likely due to the leak or my VTA BOV. Funny thing is, I've never had an issue my with VTA BOV before, but maybe I'll try switching back to my stock BPV. Maybe I'll tighten the stiffness on the spring to see if that helps a bit. I'll see. I'm going to have my tech friend at Livermore Subaru take a look at it saturday. My issue with the stiff-as-hell clutch still remains. Is there a certain way that I have to drive with my clutch so everytime I let off, it doesn't bog the **** out of my car? I also think something is loose with my headers because I can hear something clanking around. I hope replacing the aftermarket gaskets with the OEM ones on saturday will help with the exhaust leak.

Anyways, this post became much longer than I wanted it to, but I just wanted to say...THANK YOU EQ TUNING! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...D/EQTUNING.jpg
Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Congrats! The Eq crew really knows what there doing! Sounds like Ed gave you a great tune too!!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:36 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
so they couldn't tighten everything up before tuning??

can you describe the bogging behavior?? when i first had my act, it was pretty stiff as well but it gradually got a bit softer.. just let it settle in for a bit after a couple weeks of daily driving and it'll be tolerable by then
Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by subaru3169
so they couldn't tighten everything up before tuning??

can you describe the bogging behavior?? when i first had my act, it was pretty stiff as well but it gradually got a bit softer.. just let it settle in for a bit after a couple weeks of daily driving and it'll be tolerable by then
you really don't think they would tighten everything up? this might not be correct but sometime a leak is at a weld in the exhaust component not to a connection part.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Yeah, I could tell Ed was meticulous with the details, considering he spent hours on the tune, lol. It's awesome!!!

Ya, I'm hoping that after a week or so of daily driving, the clutch will start to feel softer. The bogging...I can only describe it like...have you ever driven on the far left or right side of the road and drifted off to the side a bit? The side of the road is "bumpy" and rigid, like the ridges of a quarter, so when you drift off to the side, it goes OHHHHH, lol. And when I look at my hoodscoop, I can see the car shake a bit. BUT, that's only when I let off the clutch in 1st gear from a stop. Maybe I should practice stepping on the clutch for an hour straight and work my calfs out... ha
Old 10-21-2010, 07:45 PM

Two of the small mounting bolts fell off when I got home. I even mentioned those to Ed before we started tuning and I totally forgot about them. Now I gotta figure out what size the threads are so I can find replacement ones at lowes...haha. I was seriously hoping after today's tune, I wouldn't be spending anymore money on my girl for a while....*sigh*
Old 10-21-2010, 07:46 PM

Car Info: 2001 Honda Oddysey
With the leak, do you notice any smells creeping inside the car when your windows are rolled down?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:48 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
you really don't think they would tighten everything up? this might not be correct but sometime a leak is at a weld in the exhaust component not to a connection part.
ahh good call
Old 10-21-2010, 08:22 PM

Car Info: WRX
What's your setup?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:24 PM

Car Info: Yimi Sport Tuned VF39'd 2.0L
Talking

Originally Posted by snowflow
What's your setup?
Yes +1 for this!! Let's see the mod list pleaaase
Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Which boost gauge are you using? A 5psi delta seems odd.
Did the exhaust leaks develop during tuning?
What brand clutch is installed?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:51 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Originally Posted by reconisbologna
Yes +1 for this!! Let's see the mod list pleaaase

+2

Guessing a VF-39 is in there somewhere?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 PM

Sorry, lol, I knew I should've added some more info.

Prior to EQ Tuning:

- Invidia Catless Downpipe
- Megan Racing Uppipe
- GReddy Ti-C Catless Exhaust
- GReddy-RS Blow Off Valve
- Injen Cold Air Intake
- STG 2 Dynotuned by GST Motorsports (226.5WHP/220.9TQ)

Bolt on parts before EQ Tuning

- All parts/tune mentioned above in addition to all parts mentioned below:
- Deatschwerks 1300cc Injectors (Ed thinks these might be faulty..running at 50% DC. Don't quote me on that, I might've heard different from him..too excited about the power he extracted lol)
- MadDad Catless Header
- MadDad Catless Uppipe
- ACT Heavy Duty Clutch Kit
- STI Oil Pump
- STI Oil Pan
- Upgraded Oil Pickup Tube
- StopTech Brake Pads (don't think this makes a difference, but wanted to add)
- EVO III-16G Turbo
- TurboXS Top Mount Intercooler
- Walbro 255L Fuel Pump

I noticed everytime I started up the car BEFORE tuning day today, plummets of white smoke would come out the exhaust and some would leak into the cabin, but after maybe 30 seconds of hard warmup (always started up like a racecar), it smoothed out a little. Check out these two videos...I sent this to my friend, so ignore my stupidness, haha.

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=MVI_0834.mp4

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=MVI_0835.mp4

ALSO, when I pulled into the gas station prior to my departure to EQ, my car died as I got to the pump, cranked it quite a few times, nothing. Maybe after 6th try, to gave way. Then I got to walnut creek to get gas (forgot to get gas the 1st time because I was ticked car died), after I got gas, car died again then started right back up after 1st try.

I noticed an oil leak under the car, but I assume that was from the leak the other night coming from the oil feed line running to the turbo and that's when my friend switched out the bad feed line to a good one he got off his car. I assumed the billows of white smoke for the first 30 seconds or so are normal, well in my case in regards to all the bolt-ons I put on right away without a tune. The car smooths out after a while as you can tell by the end of the first video and beginning of the second. It's from a dead cold start.

LOL, during the tune, Ed had access to a breathing mask...I think one of the workers called him, Darth Tuner...HAHA!

Now, after the tune, I don't notice it, BUT, I know the leak is still there.

Paul, I wouldn't say the leak developed during tuning but I think, and I'm pretty sure, it's because my mech who installed the parts said that the aftermarket gaskets that came with the parts were a ***** and he had to force them on. Also, there's no gasket on the downpipe to midpipe. The guy prior to me had to use high temp silicone, so that's what I've done, but I don't think the silicone is on there, so most likely no gasket on there. I installed a defi racer boost gauge. I'm 99% positive I installed it correctly. The guys at EQ didn't say anything about it, so doesn't seem like I did it wrong.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:31 PM

+ a Hallman Manual Boost Controller!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 PM

Car Info: WRX
Daaamn those are some big injectors!

The numbers don't sound too bad for a 16g on a 2.0 though.

Quick Reply: My result from EQ Tuning...