Passing NYS Inspection w/ aftermarket exaust + removed cat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:41 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Passing NYS Inspection w/ aftermarket exaust + removed cat?

I have a problem. My inspection is due here in NY, and within the last year, the state has updated their Inspection criteria. The big problem is that they now plug into the ECU to make sure there is no problem with the car etc etc. Well with the up/down pipe and exaust that is on my car (was on when i purchaced it) it throws the CEL since one or two of the cat's have been removed. The guy that tried to inspect my car was nice enough to tell me what needs to be fixed instead of charging me.

My question is: Is there any way around this CEL issue? Can i get around it even though the cat has been removed, or am i going to have to spend $$$ to replace the stock exaust system so my car wil pass inspection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - i have to hit the road next week out to Tahoe for 3 months for work, and i dont think driving an uninspected car across the country is that smart.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Search the forums (here, NASIOC and Scoobymods) for info on the "mechanical fix" for the P0420 catalyst inefficiency CEL. This is what you need to do to pass an OBDII inspection. Do NOT use one of the wired-in fixes. In addition, if you have not already done so when the uppipe was installed, connect a 2.2K ohm resistor into the harness in place of the EGT probe, and if the probe is still in the uppipe remove it and put a bolt in there.
Note also that after the fixes are installed and the codes cleared, you can't go right back for inspection. You need to drive the car for long enough that the OBD readiness tests are all completed. In addition to the CEL being lit or codes being in memory, the tests being in a "not complete" state will also cause you to fail the test. It's best if you can have someone hook up a scanner before going back for inspection, to be sure that all the criteria are met so you know the car will pass.