Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Why I don't ever care to see Bareback mountain

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 05:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Why I don't ever care to see Bareback mountain

My wife saw it without me and didn't much care for it. A little too revealing for her tastes.

I have absolutely no problem with the homosexual lifestyle or the movie's basic idea. What makes me upset is the controversy around such a plot. I guess what I mean by a controversial plot is that they centered it around a very masculine and very American way of life. Let's face it, being a cowboy isn't exactly the first thing to pop into your mind when you think of male homosexuality, is it? Except maybe the one from the Village People…

I don't like the fact they had to center it around such a controversial plot/lifestyle to help gain more momentum and further ticket sales. I think everyone gets the idea that a very limited number of cowboys may have gotten lonely when driving cattle for weeks on end across the plains, you know? Whatever.

I just don't think we needed a movie like this to be centered around the cowboy lifestyle just as I don't think we ever need a movie about two lonely and completely isolated POWs that have homosexual encounters in a Vietnamese Camp. Two or more G.I.’s that have steamy man sex whenever they can because they fear death and never having another chance to be intimate with a woman again. Who are we to assume that this never once happened over a 5 minute span outside their cells? Imagine the uproar, ticket sales and Oscar nominations for an edgy plot like this? Hell, throw in the fact they’re Valiant Award recipients and watch ticket sales climb ten fold over the opening weekend.

The proof in knowing such controversy sells tickets is based on the fact they could have centered the same story around something completely different, and because I’m currently writing this thread. If they based a very similar storyline on two European travelers of the 18th century, then people wouldn't be objective to the idea at all.

I think this is why people feel they're being forced to accept the idea of homosexuality in the United States. A lot of people (myself included) will NEVER be open to the tainting of this very masculine and very traditional American way of life, especially when there's so many other ways to tell the same story.

Imagine making a movie about how Edo period (or prior era) Samurais routinely had male orgies. You might as well dig your grave before it premiers. Although one can assume a male on male encounter may have happened once over a thousand years in Japan, it would be a major slap in the face to Japan just as this movie is a slap in the face to a lot of Americans.

Last edited by Salty; 01-22-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:39 PM

Car Info: GDA
Originally Posted by Salty
Imagine making a movie about how Edo period (or prior era) Samurais routinely had male orgies. You might as well dig your grave before it premiers. Although one can assume a male on male encounter may have happened once over a thousand years in Japan, it would be a major slap in the face to Japan just as this movie is a slap in the face to a lot of Americans.
have you seen nagisa oshima's "taboo"?
Old 01-22-2006, 08:16 PM
VIP Member

I actually heard about it through my wife's Japanese family this last Christmas in a discussion over Brokeback Mountain. They aren't very fond of it at all and my father-in-law hated the premise. He loves his traditional Samurai movies and Westerns like many Japanese do.

Besides, it wasn't a very good movie from what I’ve heard and it did not get enough play to be extremely controversial for that reason. And like Brokeback Mountain, Gohatto wasn't based on anything historically specific, so…
Old 01-22-2006, 11:19 PM

Car Info: Sline
The only thing that upset me from this movie. (I haven't seen it) Is in the advertisments, they say: "An instant American classic."

I'm a little offended by this. I don't want our "era" to be partially remembered by a movie made about gay cowboys. That's not what the American West's history is about.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:23 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jvick125
The only thing that upset me from this movie. (I haven't seen it) Is in the advertisments, they say: "An instant American classic."

I'm a little offended by this. I don't want our "era" to be partially remembered by a movie made about gay cowboys. That's not what the American West's history is about.
Exactly my point on one of the reasons Americans feel homosexuality is being forced on society. It's an “instant American classic” based on fictional characters? Wtf Although some cowboys may have been gay in a very large amount of straight cowboys, I'm not even sure we have any names of indisputably gay cowboys of that time? Do we? I’m almost positive that we don’t have a real story to tell on them. Hell, coming out of the closet wasn't even an option during that era.

If they made a movie based on a once living and significant homosexual character of that time period (like Wyatt Earp - assuming he was gay) then I wouldn’t be objective to the movie whatsoever. I think an “instant American classic” owes us a non-fictional character that moved people. Call me old fashioned...
Old 01-23-2006, 05:28 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
gay cowboy webring

http://hnn.us/roundup/comments/19593.html

<snip>As far back as 1882, the Texas Livestock Journal wrote that ''if the inner history of friendship among the rough and perhaps untutored cowboys could be written, it would be quite as unselfish and romantic as that of Damon and Pythias''.

<snip>Jim Wilke, the cowboy historian, agrees. ''Many circumstances contributed to personal closeness on the ranch and trail,'' he wrote in a 1997 article. ''Cowboys commonly bedded in pairs, sharing bedrolls with their 'bunkie'.''

Wilke also points to the tradition of the all-male stag dance, where cowboys could be found entertaining themselves with polkas, waltzes and quicksteps. He says homosexual acts between young, unmarried cowboys were euphemistically known as ''mutual solace'' in the 19th century.

Last edited by lojasmo; 01-23-2006 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
Originally Posted by lojasmo

''if the inner history of friendship among the rough and perhaps untutored cowboys could be written, it would be quite as unselfish and romantic as that of Damon and Pythias''.

<snip>Jim Wilke, the cowboy historian, agrees. ''Many circumstances contributed to personal closeness on the ranch and trail,'' he wrote in a 1997 article. ''Cowboys commonly bedded in pairs, sharing bedrolls with their 'bunkie'.''
You do realize that romantic is a very broad word and does not in any way specifically imply sodomy.
As for sharing a bed roll, as a submariner I've had to share a bed with many guys, does that mean we were sexual partners, because due to circumstances we had to share a bed?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:17 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by ftnssn
You do realize that romantic is a very broad word and does not in any way specifically imply sodomy.
As for sharing a bed roll, as a submariner I've had to share a bed with many guys, does that mean we were sexual partners, because due to circumstances we had to share a bed?
Most of "brokeback" has nothing to do with sodomy. It deals with an intense interpersonal relationship that lasted over a period of years.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
True, but you weren't trying to make that point. You were trying to incite Salty and Jvick by highlighting those points in attempt to make it seem that was the case.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I thought it was called Backdoor Mountain...
Old 01-23-2006, 12:48 PM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by Imprezer
I thought it was called Backdoor Mountain...
Might as well have....

(I love it when Alex pops in)
Old 01-23-2006, 01:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Originally Posted by jvick125
(I love it when Alex pops in)
Bareback pun intended?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by case1
Bareback pun intended?
:rotfl: :rotfl:
Old 01-23-2006, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Although I probably won't see it, or at least pay to see it, I have no problem whatsoever with the movie.

I was under the impression thae story was based on a book...

Would you have been happier if they did gay firemen? I think a story about gays in the military would have been way more inflamatory.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
Although I probably won't see it, or at least pay to see it, I have no problem whatsoever with the movie.

I was under the impression thae story was based on a book...

Would you have been happier if they did gay firemen? I think a story about gays in the military would have been way more inflamatory.
I think it is based on a short story actually.

It's a movie people, out of all the movies out there like 1% are geared towards Gay men and women. Seems like we have been pushing our straightness on gays more that they are pushing their gayness on us. Relax people.

Don't like the premise or think it will be a good movie then don't see it. America is after all the land of the free.

Quick Reply: Why I don't ever care to see Bareback mountain