Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Who believes the Drudge Report? N. Korea missile aimed at area off Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Who believes the Drudge Report? N. Korea missile aimed at area off Hawaii

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060707/3/2mty8.html

OKYO (Reuters) - A North Korean missile launched on Wednesday was aimed at an area of the ocean close to Hawaii, a Japanese newspaper reported on Friday.

Experts estimated the Taepodong-2 ballistic missile to have a range of up to 6,000 km, putting Alaska within its reach. Wednesday's launch apparently failed shortly after take-off and the missile landed in the sea between the Korean peninsula and Japan, a few hundred kilometres from the launch pad.

But data from U.S. and Japanese Aegis radar-equipped destroyers and surveillance aircraft on the missile's angle of take-off and altitude indicated that it was heading for waters near Hawaii, the Sankei Shimbun reported, citing multiple sources in the United States and Japan.

North Korea may have targeted Hawaii to show the United States that it was capable of landing a missile there, or because it is home to the headquarters of the U.S. Pacific fleet, the paper said.

An alternative explanation might be that a missile could accidentally hit land if fired towards Alaska, the report said.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:23 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
nuke um nuke um nuke um!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
OH NOSE!! I'D go fight them myself if they decide to bomb IHOP!!

Old 07-07-2006, 12:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
too bad the piece of crap didn't even make it past the sea of Japan (which is the body of water in between Korea and Japan)

And TRUST me....there is a small battle group sitting out there with a large percentage of floating US realestate ready to lay the smack down....been there myself before.....

Navy....It's not just a job...it's an adventure......
Old 07-07-2006, 05:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Shot themselves in the foot with that one.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:31 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
A japanese newspaper said they were aiming for a place near hawaii. Who?? oh a japanese newspaper, you can't make the assumption that they were going for hawaii unless you hear it from the north koreans. if they wanted to threaten anybody they would have aimed for japan and then turned the missile away before it entered japanese airspace. they were testing the guidance system on the missiles nothing more. they accomplished exactly what they wanted to do. **** everyone off and get one step closer to an operatioonal missile.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
N. Korea has done this before. Every time they do they **** Japan off, becuase of the proximity to Korea.

We sat out there for a few weeks with a contingent of Japanese Navy (JMSDF), S. Korean Navy and of course our battle group from Yokosuka.

N. Korea knows better than to let the missle go too far into it's track. I'd suspect that they detonated this one prematurely, rather than have 100% proof of it's intended track.

But, I would suspect that the JDM News paper, has plotted the course that the missile had been on and that is what they are basing the "It was heading for Hawaii" statements on.

Last edited by RedStage; 07-07-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:53 AM

Car Info: 2005 impreza rs
This is all speculation. In my opinion N. Korea was just flexing their muscles, they weren't throwing punches. I don't think that they are a threat at the moment, but they may become one very soon. Shaggadelic, let's not and say we did.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
North Korea=the gang that couldn't shoot straight

But does that make them more or less scary.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:01 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Originally Posted by Jakes02
A japanese newspaper said they were aiming for a place near hawaii. Who?? oh a japanese newspaper, you can't make the assumption that they were going for hawaii unless you hear it from the north koreans. if they wanted to threaten anybody they would have aimed for japan and then turned the missile away before it entered japanese airspace. they were testing the guidance system on the missiles nothing more. they accomplished exactly what they wanted to do. **** everyone off and get one step closer to an operatioonal missile.

They don't care about Japanese airspace. The last time they fired it directly over Nortern Japan if I'm not mistaken. They claimed that if flew off course.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:07 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Originally Posted by deyes
They don't care about Japanese airspace. The last time they fired it directly over Nortern Japan if I'm not mistaken. They claimed that if flew off course.

true, but they are not shooting a dumb missile this time. they are testing a guidance system. everyone in the world knows the guidance system is the important part of the test. you could never hit america if you cant shoot straight. wind currents and other factors affect flight path. if they could fly it towards japan and turn it away at the last second they could prove that they have the power to control any weapon they launch
Old 07-07-2006, 06:42 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
It was a taepodong 1, with a guidance system. They claim if failed which was the reason it passed over Japan. They suck at building missiles, but getting them to work is inevitable. Imagine if Cuba shot a missle over Florida? But hey no biggie if North Korea does stuff like that right?