Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Where were you on 9/11?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 05:57 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB WRX Sedan
Where were you on 9/11?

I was fresh at my first unit at Ft. Sill which used to be an open post, meaning, you didn't have to show ID to gain entrance.

I was on a detail at the huge wash rack where they wash all the huge equipment but since it wasn't a Thursday or Friday (Tues IIRC) it was not busy at all. we got to work, and being around 2 hours less than EST, our relatively early start was already mid-hell for NYC.

when i got to work, everyone was talking, and clamoring about trying to find someone with a portable TV to put in our makeshift break room.

i had a small 12" or so at home, and so i drove him speedily, and got home just as the first tower fell. watching in horror i gathered a few things, and headed back, stopping at radio shack to pick up a set of "bunny ears" so we could watch the coverage.

went back, still post was open. got back and plugged in and set up just in time to watch the second tower fall. i was baffled. there was talk of immediate deployment (though we didn't end up going until march 03), and we were sent home to gather our things to be deployed. we had two hours.

i grabbed my crap, and had my wife drive me back to post, where we ended up being locked down on guard duty etc for about 10 days. the wait to get on post was over 5-6 hours in traffic because every vehicle was subject to a thorough search, and since they had no system in place, it was a long process.

my main duty was guarding the HQ building, where i walked around it in circles for 2 hours shifts, followed by 2 hours rest for 10 days. i used to remember how many miles i estimated walking in those days but i forget now.

i look back and cant believe its 4 years later. i was a E1 private then, I'm a sergeant looking to pin on staff sergeant now. things have changed significantly for the military, with deployments and all (i go back for a year in December).

but the wars we've fought since have been, IMO, just and worthwhile, and some of the most significant life changing events. now my life is pretty much categorized into a few segments. there is either pre-Sept 11th or post, or pre-Iraq or post.

a lot of people think that i talk about my experiences too much, but i just attribute it to a major eye opening event in my life, which is why, when some ******* says that the war in Iraq or Afghanistan is worthless or unsuccessful, i get so pissed.

It also upsets me to the point of no return how people quickly forget the events. i remember when it happened, US flags were sold out all over my home state, to the point where my dad, a professional printer with his own business, started printing large flags on paper and handing them out to people for free to put in their windows. now, every Sunday here in Monterrey, the local liberal army stands on the corner of the busiest intersection with swastikas sewn over the Unions, and the flags themselves flying upside down.

now, its a "failure", they say. some of my friends, who didn't make it back, probably don't feel that way. i think they are somewhere, maybe in heaven or whatever exists after you die, and shaking their heads at all the people who scorn the troops, and the mission overseas.

how quickly those forget about 9/11. how quickly we are able to separate other evil regimes such as Iraq to benefit political gain. how quickly we can stop talking about the sauces in Afghanistan, but only talk about the "failure" that is Iraq. how quickly we allow political parties and media heads ruin or degrade chances of sucess.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:53 PM

Car Info: 2002 Aspen WRX RIP:2003 WRB Wrx
freshman science class
Old 09-11-2005, 09:47 PM

Car Info: Sline
I had just got out of the shower, and looked at the news, right as the second plane hit. I will never forget that morning. I remember before I went into the shower, they were saying it was horse play or some mistake, then I come out and was like cool, live coverage, then BAM! #2. At that point they were saying terrorism. The drive to school that morning was gloomy. It was a dark overcast, you knew everyone was tuned to the same radio station. I've never seen so many peace signs in 45 minutes. The whole rest of the school year, I did not have one day of commuting where I did NOT see an American Flag. I remember one truck that I saw regularly that had two huge flags on some poles on each side of his bed. What a crazy time... can't believe it's been 4 years.

I remember having two flags on my car, a small sticker and one in my window.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:51 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
On Route-495 coming back from the cape belcause 9/12 was my first day of freshman year in high school.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by spedmunki
On Route-495 coming back from the cape belcause 9/12 was my first day of freshman year in high school.
Cape Code or Canaveral or other?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
got woken up by a phone call at my gf's house, her sister lived in NYC.

Last edited by dr3d1zzl3; 09-12-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:50 PM

Car Info: '03 Wrx w/vf-34, sti pinks,tbe, 2.5l cobb block
i was on deployment. after it happened we steamed over there.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
On my way to work in Troy, MI. I was listening to Drew & Mike Mornings (detroit radio show) and after the first tower was hit they were reporting that a small aircraft had hit the World Trade Tower. No big deal. Then on air they were just like "Oh, my God another plane has hit the other World Trade Tower and that was not a small plane."

At that point I got to work and ran inside and told everyone and we turned on the TV and watched both towers come down. It was sickening and scary all at the same time. Boss sent us home at about 11 am to "be with our families" and I went to my parents place and my father and I basically took stock of everything we had. We thought we were going to be at war at that point on our own soil.

The crazy thing was I was supposed to be in NYC with my Boss for the closing of this VC deal we were working to secure to keep the company afloat but they pushed the meeting back two weeks and after 9/11 they cancelled the deal altogether and the company basically went bankrupt.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
i was at work and had just sat down in the break room watching the news for a good 15min as the first building was on fire. then BAM the second plane hit as I watched, I remember just going into a stiff shock looking hearing but not moving... i didnt feel like working anymore and asked for a early day (slow season) drove home and just laid in bed watchin 24hr coverage in shock, knowing full well we were at war and the world as i knew it just changed forever

chilling to think i was cracking some light jokes and kinda just watching without reation untill the second plane hit... then to watch them fall was just unreal. so many mothers and father dead, and sons and daughters to never see them again. i remember hearing the message recordings from people trapped in the buildings telling there loved ones a hysterical but loving goodbye.....

ill stop
edgar,
Old 09-12-2005, 08:42 PM

Or how about the guy on the plane that crashed in PA. Did you hear his cell phone call?
Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Northbound Hwy 65, heading to work.
Heard something on the radio about how an aircraft crashed into one of the towers.
Got to my office and turned on the tv in the break room in time to see the 2nd plane hit.

My friend's father was supposed to be on flight 93; he had taken the flight many times.
At the last moment, he decided not to get on, and drive instead.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:49 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
Originally Posted by jvick125
Cape Code or Canaveral or other?
cape cod
Old 09-13-2005, 03:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I was in Seattle working as a labor lobbyist/organizer and when it happened all hell broke loose as I was working for the Hotel and Restaurant union which is in an industry that got absolutely smashed by the after effects such as the airports shutting down and tourism grinding to a halt.