Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

U2 front man to head the world bank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 04:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
U2 front man to head the world bank?

WTF? does "bono" even have a degree or ANY experience in banking?

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...ent-editorials

"President Bush, who has a large say in who will get the job, should realize that Brand America and the branding of both the World Bank and development generally would benefit greatly if Bono gets the nod."

How would anyone benefit if "bono" got the job?
That's like saying America would benefit if Martha Stewart won a US presidential election the world would benefit.

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 03-07-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
According to the article it seems that Bono would be a powerful figurehead and good public speaker. This, along with a broad knowledge of economics and a strong supporting cabinet seems to be a good combination. Just because you have educational wallpaper doesn't mean you have influential pull and leadership traits.

Just going by the article of course...
Old 03-07-2005, 05:05 PM
VIP Member

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ople_bono_dc_1

"Don't be fooled by the wraparound sunglasses and the excess hipness," the Los Angeles Times said. "Bono is deeply versed in the issues afflicting the least-developed nations of the world."

Any one who waches the news is " deeply versed in the issues afflicting the least-developed nations of the world."

Gimme a freakin break, I'm sure "bono" knows nothing about being poor.
If "bono" is in the running, what's wrong with sean penn? He's toured poverse regions of the world as well.

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 03-07-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I see your point but who am I to judge? I have never had a conversation with the man or read anything about him personally.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:47 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Salty
I see your point but who am I to judge? I have never had a conversation with the man or read anything about him personally.
Exactly, It's not like it's Allen Greenspan or even Warren Buffett.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:59 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
I'm sure "bono" knows nothing about being poor.

If I remember correctly, Bono was brought up in a poor Catholic part of Ireland that was often involved in the horribly brutal dispute between Catholics and Protestants. I'm not saying he has a great perspective on world poverty, but he has a hell of a lot more first hand knowledge than other celebs.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Plus the guy dedicates himself to causes bigger than himself all the time. He does more for world charity than just about anyone on the planet. Give the guy a break, most likely he is a bigger humanitarian that you or I will ever be.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:24 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
Plus the guy dedicates himself to causes bigger than himself all the time. He does more for world charity than just about anyone on the planet. Give the guy a break, most likely he is a bigger humanitarian that you or I will ever be.
Then he should join the peace corps.
If I didn't have to worry about putting food on my table or paying a mortgage every month then I'd be a humaitarian also.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:09 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
Then he should join the peace corps.
If I didn't have to worry about putting food on my table or paying a mortgage every month then I'd be a humaitarian also.
Yeah I hear ya, I have the same issues. But not everyone with money does what he does. He's definately one of the good guys in this world.

Plus old U2 is great stuff!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Let's talk possibilities.

What are the odds that he will positively effect the world economic outlook with his knowledge and experience?

I'd argue that the possibility of that happening would be far less than the impact that he'd have if he donated all of his wealth to the charity of his choice.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:15 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gpatmac
Let's talk possibilities.

What are the odds that he will positively effect the world economic outlook with his knowledge and experience?

I'd argue that the possibility of that happening would be far less than the impact that he'd have if he donated all of his wealth to the charity of his choice.
I wouldn't say far less, it's all in who you surround yourself with in most anything like this. You are only as good as the people around you.

You may be right but you can't know that for sure because you don't know him or what he knows or how he was brought up. There's also the possibility that he will affect the world economic outlook positively. The world doesn't run on possibilities though and this sort of change could be a positive for an entity such as the World Bank. Salty said it best. (one of the few times you will hear me saying that!!!)

Originally Posted by Salty
According to the article it seems that Bono would be a powerful figurehead and good public speaker. This, along with a broad knowledge of economics and a strong supporting cabinet seems to be a good combination. Just because you have educational wallpaper doesn't mean you have influential pull and leadership traits.

Just going by the article of course...