Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

U.K.: Plot to bomb U.S.-bound planes foiled

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 08:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
I'm not saying that we don't pay taxes, kiddo. Read again.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:36 AM

Car Info: 2005 impreza 2.5rs (sliver,5 speed manual, sports
Originally Posted by gpatmac
I'm not saying that we don't pay taxes, kiddo. Read again.

you ask me what i thought about paying taxes, kiddo. so i told you
Old 08-12-2006, 09:59 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I was reading in my explosives book(yes, I have books on explosives..."Explosives, 4th edition, revised & extended edition. Josef Kohler & Rudolf Meyer."...trying to figure out which "liquid explosive" was being referenced.

Tricycloacetone Peroxide is thought to have also been used in the London bus/subway bombings of last year.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:22 AM
VIP Member

Paul,

You've got everything on the first column of the table of elements can be mixed with h2o and they will react with increasing violence (as you go down the column.)

Could that have been used?

<---very stupid in chemistry.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
I was reading in my explosives book(yes, I have books on explosives..."Explosives, 4th edition, revised & extended edition. Josef Kohler & Rudolf Meyer."...trying to figure out which "liquid explosive" was being referenced.

Tricycloacetone Peroxide is thought to have also been used in the London bus/subway bombings of last year.

astrolite-g would have been a more stable compound, i think it is complete bs that they were using any sort of peroxide based explosive. They are notoriously unstable (trip, fall, boom!)..

The fringe bennie of that instability is the fact it would be easier to detonate.. but i sure as hell wouldnt wan to transport it. Even if i was suicidal.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:03 PM
VIP Member

Where on earth have you guys heard of these compounds?

All I know is C4.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:21 PM
VIP Member

I did a bit of searching when the news first hit on liquid explosives.. caught my eye.. sorta thought to myself that sounds like some exotic *** ****. End up finding out that it aint..

on a side note...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14320452/

LONDON - NBC News has learned that U.S. and British authorities had a significant disagreement over when to move in on the suspects in the alleged plot to bring down trans-Atlantic airliners bound for the United States.

A senior British official knowledgeable about the case said British police were planning to continue to run surveillance for at least another week to try to obtain more evidence, while American officials pressured them to arrest the suspects sooner. The official spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the case.

In contrast to previous reports, the official suggested an attack was not imminent, saying the suspects had not yet purchased any airline tickets. In fact, some did not even have passports.

The source did say, however, that police believe one U.K.-based suspect was ready to conduct a "dry run." British authorities had wanted to let him go forward with part of the plan, but the Americans balked.

At the White House, a top aide to President Bush denied the account.

"There was unprecedented cooperation and coordination between the U.S., the U.K. and Pakistani officials throughout the case," said Frances Townsend, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, "and we worked together to protect our citizens from harm while ensuring that we gathered as much info as possible to bring the plotters to justice. There was no disagreement between U.S. and U.K. officials."

Another U.S. official, however, acknowledges there was disagreement over timing. Analysts say that in recent years, American security officials have become edgier than the British in such cases because of missed opportunities leading up to 9/11.

Aside from the timing issue, there was excellent cooperation between the British and the Americans, officials told NBC.

The British official said the Americans also argued over the timing of the arrest of suspected ringleader Rashid Rauf in Pakistan, warning that if he was not taken into custody immediately, the U.S. would "render" him or pressure the Pakistani government to arrest him.

British security was concerned that Rauf be taken into custody "in circumstances where there was due process," according to the official, so that he could be tried in British courts. Ultimately, this official says, Rauf was arrested over the objections of the British.

The official shed light on other aspects of the case, saying that while the investigation into the bombing plot began "months ago," some suspects were known to the security services even before the London subway bombings last year.

He acknowledged that authorities had conducted electronic and e-mail surveillance as well as physical surveillance of the suspects.

Monitoring of Rauf, in particular, apparently played a critical role, revealing that the plotters had tested the explosive liquid mixture they planned to use at a location outside Britain. NBC News has previously reported that the explosive mixture was tested in Pakistan. The source said the suspects in Britain had obtained at least some of the materials for the explosive but had not yet actually prepared or mixed it.
© 2006 MSNBC Interactive

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14320452/
Old 08-13-2006, 06:20 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by gpatmac
Paul,

You've got everything on the first column of the table of elements can be mixed with h2o and they will react with increasing violence (as you go down the column.)

Could that have been used?

<---very stupid in chemistry.
It takes a lot of sodium, potassium, etc. to produce a big boom.
I've seen what a 1/2 kilo block of sodium does when dropped into the Willamette River in Portland. While cool, not that impresive from an all out destruction point of view.
Whereas a small amount of Astrolite A or G (good call, dre) would would really **** things up.

Originally Posted by Here's some info on Astrolite:
"Astrolite G is a clear liquid explosive especially designed to produce
a very high detonation velocity, 8600 MPS, compared with 7700 MPS
for nitroglycerin and 6900 MPS for TNT. Astrolite A has a velocity of
detonation of 7800 MPS.

Astrolite G has excellent propagation characteristics, propagating in tube
diameters below .5 inch. In addition, a very unusual characteristic is that
the liquid explosive has the ability to be absorbed easily into the ground
while remaining detonable. No other safe military or commercial explosive
has this property. In field tests, Astrolite G has remained detonable for 4
days in the ground, even when the soil was soaked due to rainy weather.

Due to Astrolite G's high detonation velocity, only small amounts
are needed for demolitions use. An antipersonnel or antivehicular land mine
poured DIRECTLY into the dirt would only require 4 ounces detonated by an
electrical or mechanical detonating cap. Such a small amount would be
devastating in antipersonnel applications and would be sufficient to
disable even a light armored vehicle.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:59 PM
VIP Member

I've seen what a 1/2 kilo block of sodium does when dropped into the Willamette River in Portland. While cool, not that impresive from an all out destruction point of view.
Whereas a small amount of Astrolite A or G (good call, dre) would would really **** things up.

Yeah its some nuts stuff from the looks of it. If i was the feds i would totaly say it was perxoide based stuff as well.. So all the dip****s of the world who think it would be cool to play with it end up blowing off their hands.

But hey thats just me
Old 08-13-2006, 08:19 PM
VIP Member

I kinda figured. On the other side of it, though, heat and pressure are what causes explosions, so if there was a way to make the chemical reaction a very quick one and stay within a small container, I wonder. Of course it'd end up being more of a shrapnel bomb with little concussion, I'd imagine.

Ever tried the cleaning solution 'the Works' and little ***** of aluminum foil?
Old 08-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Security vs. Civil Rights
http://www.foxnews.com/video2/launch...ch%20Page&News