Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

FCC to Allow Wireless Access & Cell Phones on Planes

Old 12-15-2004, 09:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Thumbs down FCC to Allow Wireless Access & Cell Phones on Planes

Oh dear god....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._air_travelers

WASHINGTON - Federal regulators voted Wednesday to give airline passengers high-speed Internet connections while they fly...

The FCC also voted to solicit comments from the public about ending the ban on in-flight use of cell phones. Among the issues to consider are whether passengers want to be surrounded by cell phone conversations.

"The ability to communicate is a vital one, but good cell phone etiquette is also essential," Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein said. "Our job is to see if this is possible and then let consumers work out the etiquette."

David Stempler, president of the Air Travelers Association, a passenger advocacy group, said allowing Internet access would "make business travelers more efficient and while away the time for a lot of other passengers. This is all the wave of the future here."
Wireless access = Brilliant Idea!

Cell Phones = Worst idea EvAr!

Discuss...
Old 12-15-2004, 11:47 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
Yeah, imagine the guy next to you screaming into his phone to be heard over the engine noise. Then imagine it for hours on end...

No!
Old 12-15-2004, 12:46 PM
VIP Member

"Whacha doin?"....... *5 Second Pause*........"Nothin'?"..........*5 Second Pause*.........."I'm on a plane!11!"........ :uggh:
Old 12-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Damn cellphone drivers!!

Why don't you just hang up the phone and fly the damn plane!
Old 12-15-2004, 02:02 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by 04blkWRX
Yeah, imagine the guy next to you screaming into his phone to be heard over the engine noise. Then imagine it for hours on end...

No!

When I fly for business, I fly unrestricted "Y" class because I must be flexible. Typically it's 1200-2000 for a San Jose to Houston flight. When I fly for personal enjoyment, I get a very restricted ticket in the neighborhood of a couple hundred bucks. That guy sitting next to you, yelling on his phone, is the reason your ticket is so cheap.

Having said that, I can barely hear on my phone if I'm on the freeway. On a plane it would be just silly. Also, have you ever received a call from someone on one of those "sky phones", which are in the seat back in front of you? It's almost impossible to hear what the person is saying...
Old 12-16-2004, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
When I fly for business, I fly unrestricted "Y" class because I must be flexible. Typically it's 1200-2000 for a San Jose to Houston flight. When I fly for personal enjoyment, I get a very restricted ticket in the neighborhood of a couple hundred bucks. That guy sitting next to you, yelling on his phone, is the reason your ticket is so cheap.

Having said that, I can barely hear on my phone if I'm on the freeway. On a plane it would be just silly. Also, have you ever received a call from someone on one of those "sky phones", which are in the seat back in front of you? It's almost impossible to hear what the person is saying...
How is my ticket so cheap because of the guy yelling on his phone when it hasn't happened yet?

Also, can you use a cellphone in unrestricted "Y" class?
Old 12-17-2004, 01:57 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by Salty
How is my ticket so cheap because of the guy yelling on his phone when it hasn't happened yet?

Also, can you use a cellphone in unrestricted "Y" class?
My point is catering to the customers who subsidize cheap air fare for the pleasure traveler makes good business sense. I'll try to draw a picture for you next time, being sure not to use too many colors so I don't run the risk of confusing you.