Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Truth anti-smoking campaign

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Truth anti-smoking campaign

Sometimes this group makes some pretty educating points about the effects of second-hand smoking, fire risk and disease.

I'm not too sure if you've seen the newest commercial or not but it makes me furious. They state how smoking companies target women and seek the voice of women blah, blah, blah. Then they have some woman with a voice box put it against her trachea at the podium and say, "Is this the voice you were thinking of?" just outside a major tobacco company.

Why are we supposed to feel sorry for her choices? Why is Phillip Morris and every other tobacco company supposed to apologize for thriving in this capitalist country?

I am all for second hand smoke restrictions in public places, smoking education and totally against underage advertising and sales. Regardless, once you're an emancipated adult -or- 18 yrs of age I don't give a **** if you smoke a carton till smoke comes out your ears and you jump off a cliff to your death. I really don't...

Just for the record I smoked for 3 years and quit like if was a joke. I have also dipped for 6 years and found that to be x10 harder than quitting smoking. I ave cravings for Copenhagen everyday but know it's my own damn fault for ever starting.

Am I alone here?

Last edited by Salty; 11-23-2004 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:49 AM

I hate all this nanny state crap.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:54 AM

Car Info: 2008 Red Alert Nissan Titan
no kidding

however, if the gov't is going to criminalize me for my choice to smoke weed, yet allow the tobacco corporations to peddle a far more addictive and harmful product, isn't there a double standard?

i agree with funked that it's "nannying". It is a policy of the government at the request of the people unfortunately, that it knows better than we do and should restrict our freedoms accordingly. screw that

though generally i don't have a problem with those truth ads, it does seem overbearing at times, but hopefully they're helping to influence people's choices, those that haven't yet gotten addicted. i doubt that they do much except annoy current smokers
Old 11-24-2004, 09:24 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
one thing in their defense, however, is the fact that they were misled by tobacco companies. we now know smaoking can lead to cancer, death, etc...

back in the day, scientists who worked for tobacco companies were well aware that increased amounts of nicotine as well as abrasives in the tobacco would lead to more and more addicted users / consumers. it seems that ultimately that is what tobacco companies are paying the price for--untruth in advertising.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:47 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
I've had the irrational urge to pick up smoking again every time I see those ads, just to spite those truth fùckers. Annoying and heavy-handed.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
The thing that bothers me the most is the fact that those commercials are directed towards adults, not children.

If they wanted to stop smoking then they'd need to go directly to the source by educating children and those easily influenced by peer-pressure, not to adults that can make decisions on their own and already know the consequences of smoking.

If I want to buy an economy jug of Kessler, a carton of cigarettes, a can of copenhagen, an ounce of marijuana and a hooker this holiday season then so be it! I know the consequences range from lung, liver & mouth cancer to prison time so STOP HOLDING MY ****ING HAND YOU ****ING HIPPY ****S!!!!! DIE!!1111!one!!!
Old 11-24-2004, 12:03 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Wink

Why you gotta hate on hippies? Hahahaha...I think the Truth campaign is run by suburban soccer moms and ineffectual dads not hippies, you know people who like to control everything around them...hippies tend to keep to themselves these days.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
They are just using shock as a method to educate young people and get them to listen. Their campaign works so I'm all for it. Whatever it takes as far as I am concerned. 440,000 people die a year from smoking related issues. Thats more than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide, and illegal drugs combined.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:46 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
I'm all for natural selection. And my favorite form would be legallizing all drugs and if people are stupid enough to OD and die on them then we're better off.

Morbid.. yes but I just call em like I see em.