Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Success you don't hear in the news

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 01:45 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB WRX Sedan
Success you don't hear in the news

Part I of the news the mainstream media isn't reporting

An often-heard complaint by supporters of the Bush administration, the war and the troops concerns the relative invisibility of good-news stories from Iraq.

There is some justice to this charge. The opening of an elementary school or yet another clinic can seem like small potatoes when six soldiers are ambushed or hundreds of Iraqis die in a stampede. Even so, the small successes and little victories are too often ignored or downplayed.

So here is a focus on the good news from Iraq, with statistics using the latest information available from the Defense Department and the Brookings Institution's Iraq Index and figures from Australian Arthur Chrenkoff, whose "Good News" column has appeared on the Web site of the Wall Street Journal:

• All 240 hospitals and more than 1,200 clinics in Iraq are open. The Najaf Teaching Hospital, looted and vandalized by the Sadr Militia just a year ago, is open, housing 80 patients and seeing hundreds more daily. Its 100 doctors are training 200 medical students and 50 pharmacy students. When work is complete, it will house new MRI and CT scanners and an open-heart surgery team.

• More than 90 percent of all Iraqi children now receive routine immunizations.

• More than 1,000 children in the Mosul area had medical screenings in August by coalition forces.

• The Baghdad Health Department has established mobile medical camps in five regions of the country where care is scant. Each center can accommodate more than 600 patients.

• As of August, 101,000 Iraqi security personnel with general police capabilities and another 81,900 with military qualifications were on board. Army Lt. Gen. David Petraeus, commander of the Multinational Security Transition Command, said recently that more than 110 Iraqi police and army combat battalions are "in the fight."

• Iraq had 351 trained judges in May 2005, compared with none in May 2003. Phase one of the $865,000 Basra courthouse reconstruction is complete.

• In 2000, 3.6 million children were enrolled in primary school. By the 2003-04 school year, it was 4.3 million.

• More than 600 children will return to renovated or rebuilt schools in the Maysan Province this fall. Eight new schools in the Wassit and Babil Provinces will get new furniture before the school year begins in six weeks.

• As of August, the production of electricity averaged 96,478 megawatt-hours, compared with an estimated 95,000 megawatt-hours before the war. Nevertheless, more than 90 percent of urban Iraqis remain dissatisfied with the quality and quantity of electric service.

• A $13 million electrical distribution project to serve 128,000 more people recently was begun in Sadr City. Construction began on the $3.8 million Al Rayash Electricity Substation project in the Salah Ad Din Province. It is supposed to provide reliable service to 50,000 residences and small businesses. The Fallujah electrical system is to be completed in two weeks.

• In February, 79 percent of urban Iraqis reported having water service in their homes.

• The just-completed Baghdad trunk sewer line will serve about 2 million people.

• Estimated prewar telephone subscribers: 833,000. In August, including cellular service unavailable before: 3,959,562.

• More than 170 independent newspapers are in print, compared with none before. Eighty commercial radio stations and 29 television stations are operational; pre-war: zero.

• Paving of the Al-Cement factory village road, 7 kilometers long, is about 38 percent complete in the Najaf Province.

• After being grounded by sanctions for 14 years, Iraqi Airways operates 20 flights a week to destinations in the Middle East. A flight to London from Baghdad is expected to begin by October. Half a dozen foreign airlines fly into and out of Baghdad.

• Some 97 railway stations have been renovated; 28 more will follow. The railway runs from southern to northern Iraq with about 1,260 miles of track. Refurbishing of the Baghdad station is scheduled to be completed in December.

Complete column:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=...&u_rnd=8085399
Old 09-04-2005, 12:22 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Matt:

What?!
Positive news from the illegal war of aggression?!
That can't be?!

It's amazing that not one of these stories has seen the light of day in the mass media.
Can you add any positive stories from you tour?
Old 09-04-2005, 01:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
It's a known fact that if there wasn't an insurgency the USA and allied forces would probably be halfway to three-quarters through pulling-out our men. Seriously, if it wasn't for the insurgency keeping us there our missions(s) (and then some) were accomplished awhile ago. It's a shame. Fighting such a selfish insurgency this late in the game sorta came with the territory.

Last edited by Salty; 09-04-2005 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Oaf we spent 4 months clearing small villages of UXO. we saved a lot of lives from bombs that prewar were sent into villages by saddam, and the kids now were playing with and getting blown up.

we gave food and first aid to the point where we reduced our meals to two a day to use the extra meal for them. they were never so happy.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:24 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
<devil's advocate on>

w00t, things are almot as good as they were before we invaded! Yay!

</devil's advocate>

Okay, for the record, I think that when all is said and done the US will have accomplished more good than harm in Iraq. Without discussing very deeply the disastrous way the Administration has managed this conflict, when bad people do bad things to regular people, anywhere in the world, it is the responsibility of all free peoples to do something about it.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
I used to be stationed at Ft Ord.

Are you still in? Who'd you go over with?

I would comment about your post, but to be honest, that is what war means to me (believe it or not.) After you've personally been involved in some sort of project where you get to see the kids and the folks who live in the villages eyes light up, you realize that the fighting is only a distraction to your real objective. (I can say that now)

11C: 4-17th IN/7th ID - 1988-91 (Operation Just Cause, Panama - DEC 89)
11A: 2/327th IN, 101st ABN - 1997-2001 (Operation Joint Guard, Kosovo - MAR 00)
HHC, 25th ID - 2001-2004 (Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan - MAR 04)
Old 09-04-2005, 10:58 PM

1st BN 14th FA, 3rd Armored Corps Arty - OIF 03

i go back in December for a year with 4th ID.

im still in. i was a 13M for my first tour, im a 97E2PF for my second.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Well that explains Monterey.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:48 AM

Car Info: Sline
I have no clue what all those numbers and letters mean, all I got was a battalion? and 101st Airborne...
Old 09-05-2005, 01:27 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by jvick125
I have no clue what all those numbers and letters mean, all I got was a battalion? and 101st Airborne...
See if this helps:

Originally Posted by Matth3w
1st BN 14th FA, 3rd Armored Corps Arty - OIF 03
1st battalion, 14th Field Artillery Regiment, assigned to 3rd Armored Corps (I think that's 2 divisions mixed together into one bigass task force) artillery group, in Iraq in 2003.

i go back in December for a year with 4th ID.
4th Infantry Division, which is actually an Armor Division (don't ask) that is stationed in Ft. Hood, Texas. Apparently they are rotating to Iraq next year.

im still in. i was a 13M for my first tour, im a 97E2PF for my second.
13M = Field Artillery crewman (or fire coordinator? I forget, it's been a while ) and 97E is a linguist or intelligence analyst, 2PF is the language identifier. Right Matt? And what language are you studying down there? They asked me to reclass after I took the dlab in basic, but I didn't want to extend my enlistment!
Old 09-05-2005, 09:18 AM
VIP Member

I'm not artillery, but Corps Artillery means that he was general support (gs) for a Corps Commanding General. It means big guns such as the MLRS or Paladin, 155mm. I believe that the MLRS is extinct or will be shortly.

Corps is comprised of Divisions, but it's not necessarily just two. I'm not the smartest guy with regards to knowing the specifics, but I do know that the 18th Airborne Corps is comprised of the 3d Infantry Division, 10th Mountain Division, 82d Airborne Division,
101st Airborne Division, XVIII Airborne Corps Artillery, 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment, 18th Aviation Brigade, 20th Engineer Brigade, 525th Military Intelligence Brigade

4th ID is a (mechanized) Infantry Division. It looks exactly like an Armored Division, but is organized slightly different, as they were mech Infantry heavy.

I believe that it's safe to say that everything I just wrote is archaic already since most every regular Army maneuver unit is or has already undergone transformation. I've been away from the fray for a year now, and I am no longer a subject matter expert. I'll have a lot of 'boning-up' to do when I leave my current job.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:31 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by gpatmac
I'm not artillery, but Corps Artillery means that he was general support (gs) for a Corps Commanding General. It means big guns such as the MLRS or Paladin, 155mm. I believe that the MLRS is extinct or will be shortly.

Corps is comprised of Divisions, but it's not necessarily just two. I'm not the smartest guy with regards to knowing the specifics, but I do know that the 18th Airborne Corps is comprised of the 3d Infantry Division, 10th Mountain Division, 82d Airborne Division,
101st Airborne Division, XVIII Airborne Corps Artillery, 2d Armored Cavalry Regiment, 18th Aviation Brigade, 20th Engineer Brigade, 525th Military Intelligence Brigade

4th ID is a (mechanized) Infantry Division. It looks exactly like an Armored Division, but is organized slightly different, as they were mech Infantry heavy.

I believe that it's safe to say that everything I just wrote is archaic already since most every regular Army maneuver unit is or has already undergone transformation. I've been away from the fray for a year now, and I am no longer a subject matter expert. I'll have a lot of 'boning-up' to do when I leave my current job.
I really wish they'd keep MLRS or something like it. Seeing 1 square kilometer light up at head level with satchel charge size explosions really made me feel a margin of safety. I love hearing "2nd PLT has priority FA".
Old 09-05-2005, 09:41 AM
VIP Member

Yeah, a kid who we've currently got on SRAP (special recruiting assistance program) told me that they actually did that whole gridsquare thing for real when they were in Iraq. From what he said, it sounds as though the 'powers-that-be' immediately realized that it was overkill.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:50 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by gpatmac
Yeah, a kid who we've currently got on SRAP (special recruiting assistance program) told me that they actually did that whole gridsquare thing for real when they were in Iraq. From what he said, it sounds as though the 'powers-that-be' immediately realized that it was overkill.
We did it at JRTC at Fort Polk. I nearly shat myself, def. not what I was expecting. Rest assured that if MLRS hits your OBJ you can walk across with your **** out because if it's still alive it has a serious concussion and has no desire to resist.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
oh god the idiot found his way to this forum..

what nasioc PP to rough for yah?

Quick Reply: Success you don't hear in the news