Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...
View Poll Results: Should they be allowed to vote
Yes, they're citizens too.
70.00%
No, i'll be damned if a lazy mother of five (with one in the oven) wants to secure her way of life with a vote and my taxes!
10.00%
20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 04:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?

Got this topic from a radio station this morning so we'll see where it goes...

Because of their dependence on the Government and your tax dollars, should people on welfare be allowed to vote?

Think of them as "biased voters" knowing they'll vote for the candidate that supports their way of life.

Explain your view after you vote, por favor.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
Doesn't matter who they support or why, their citizens of this country and therefore are afforded the right to vote. As long as they are protected by the constitution thats the way it goes.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:32 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
Originally Posted by Salty
Think of them as "biased voters" knowing they'll vote for the candidate that supports their way of life.
aren't a lot of voters that way?
i'm wondering what positives can come out of allowing them to vote...if any?

aloha from the summit of Mauna Kea
Old 08-13-2004, 05:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
That's a pretty involved question. I think any citizen of this country should be allowed to vote. Almost all voter will vote for what is most benifecial to thier lifestyle. As for a women with 5 kids on welfare I think farming should be a new trend among large families.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:44 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gdogg
aren't a lot of voters that way?
i'm wondering what positives can come out of allowing them to vote...if any?

aloha from the summit of Mauna Kea

Here's my point even though I voted "yes"...

You can have a businessman knee-deep in money and he'll vote accordingly just as the person on welfare would. However, I consider this same man as an unconventional entity meaning he made his millions as a republican and can easily change his game plan to make another fortune as a democrat.

On the other hand, the person on welfare has no other choice than to accept government handout's to ensure his/her way of life.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:21 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
dude, what radio stations do you listen to? republicans are all about less govt... what do you think limiting voter's rights constitutes?

with the same logic, what about not letting the richest of the rich vote. absolutely asanine
Old 08-13-2004, 06:25 PM

Your vote should be weighted by the amount of taxes you pay. Beggars can't be choosers.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:46 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dub2w
what about not letting the richest of the rich vote. absolutely asanine
But they made their own riches, are paying a lawyers salary (at least I know my VP Mother still does) in taxes and are paying for the majority of welfare.

That vote matters more, right

Also, good point FUNKED1.

I'm just throwing this out for you to chew on...
Old 08-13-2004, 07:00 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
Your vote should be weighted by the amount of taxes you pay. Beggars can't be choosers.

So, a movie star, basketball player, or CEO's vote should have more sway than say, a school teacher, scientist or doctor? I chose my proffession because i liked it, not because it would make me millions. So, does the proffession i chose make my opinions moot? I don't think so, or i would at least not like to think so. You can't judge a persons character on their income, my god.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:01 PM
VIP Member

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed

I'm pretty sure the governed means everybody and the equal part means, well, equal
Old 08-13-2004, 08:42 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
There should be a way to make people get off their asses and get a job instead of watching springer waiting for their check in the mail every month . . .

edit: don't get me wrong, welfare is great for someone who loses their job or has some other big huge life altering problem, to help them get back "on their feet" as it were, but there are people just living off the system and have no intention of doing otherwise, I've been working since I was 14, why can't they? I'd rather have my tax dollars go to someone who has a crappy minimum wage job that isn't enough to support themselves as a supplimental income, reward them for trying. . .

Last edited by jdepould; 08-13-2004 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by constellation
So, a movie star, basketball player, or CEO's vote should have more sway than say, a school teacher, scientist or doctor? I chose my proffession because i liked it, not because it would make me millions. So, does the proffession i chose make my opinions moot? I don't think so, or i would at least not like to think so. You can't judge a persons character on their income, my god.
I didn't say anything about character. The 20% of the population who pay for 80% of the government should get something for their money. It's their dime, they should have some say-so. It comes back to taxation without representation.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:15 AM
VIP Member

Taxation without representation. They can give their money to push whatever politico they see fit. You're using a term created to speak to colonial americas conflict with the British to decry the situation of rich people in America today.
I'm most definetly not a liberal, in fact I'm quite conservative but I don't know if some of you realize this but you're bordering on some very fascist ideas in this thread.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:24 AM

Don't we all vote for who supports our way of life? Although, many people abuse welfare, there are still some who do not. To prevent people from voting because they receive government help has to be unconstitutional in some way.

-SZ
Old 08-14-2004, 11:48 AM

Wow I agree with sub-zero.

Quick Reply: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?