Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

San Francisco Voters Approve Handgun and Anti-Recruitment Ban

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 12:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
San Francisco Voters Approve Handgun and Anti-Recruitment Ban

There's two parts to discuss... the gun ball and anti-military recruitment ballot

SAN FRANCISCO - Voters approved ballot measures to ban handguns in San Francisco and urge the city's public high schools and college campuses to keep out military recruiters... With all precincts reporting early Wednesday, 58 percent of voters backed the proposed gun ban while 42 percent opposed it.

The military recruitment initiative won with 60 percent in favor and 40 percent against.

The measure, dubbed "College Not Combat," opposes the presence of military recruiters at public high schools and colleges. However, it would not ban the armed forces from seeking enlistees at city campuses, since that would put schools at risk of losing federal funding.

It encourages city officials and university administrators to exclude recruiters and create scholarships and training programs that would reduce the military's appeal to young adults.

So what's your take on the gun ban?

As for the anti-recruitment ban, I think this is proof that a majority of people in that region are truly against the military. How else can you possibly justify them eliminating the military's appeal? 1 out of 100 of these people probably never served in the military but knows what’s good? It just shows you that a lot of those liberal "the military is for defense only" rants are just a front. Unreal.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:24 PM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/gun-owners-must-suck-live-sf-right-now-117426/
Old 11-09-2005, 01:19 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
The military should initiate a draft-by-lottery policy for SF to make up for recruitment losses... wouldn't that be hysterical?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:37 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
I guess it'd be funny because it'd get you the s***iest recruit class of all time?

On the issue of the gun ban...I don't see why that was even on the ballot in SF, but the people voted and chose to not have guns which says something. I have a feeling it'll get reversed because of the 2nd amendment to the constitution though...

And the anti-recruitment deal seems pretty rediculous. I had recruiters on my HS and college campus, and I had no problem simply avoiding them if I didn't want to talk about joining. How hard is it to ignore someone standing at a table giving out flyers? Very easy.
I think blocking recruiters from campuses is pretty stupid, it's not like they abduct and brainwash students into joining (like some frats might....). It's beyond me on why someone would want to reduce the appeal of joining the military...if you don't want to join, don't...but why try to convince others not to?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:13 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
The military should initiate a draft-by-lottery policy for SF to make up for recruitment losses... wouldn't that be hysterical?
I know recruitment numbers have been low and for obvious reasons. But what I find funny is this won't stop the people of that region from rubbing in the DoD's face as they deny being part of the problem.

Last edited by Salty; 11-09-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:15 PM
VIP Member

A city not willing to defend its country. Because even though this only seems to apply to schools, the people of the city voted for it.

Ok, next big quake I think federal aid should be cut off. Don't want to help us, we won't help you.

In fact, if you're a resident of San Fran when the big one hits i'll have no remorse for you. Even if you didn't vote in favor of the bill but still live there. The only ones i'll feel sorry for are those not old enough to vote and children. Call me crazy but I don't give a damn if your entire peninsula breaks off and sinks at this point.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:28 PM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by Salty
In fact, if you're a resident of San Fran when the big one hits i'll have no remorse for you. Even if you didn't vote in favor of the bill but still live there. The only ones i'll feel sorry for are those not old enough to vote and children. Call me crazy but I don't give a damn if your entire peninsula breaks off and sinks at this point.
I just don't want to lose my favorite baseball and football teams
Old 11-09-2005, 07:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
salty dont be so butt hurt about it man..

its not that big of a deal... see it for what it is.. a knee jerk/middle finger to the feds for the various ****ups they have done in the past...

to state that you wont have any remorse for anyone who even lives in SF regardless of their politics is ****ing stupid as **** man.. worse then the retards who think recruiters brainwash people.. granted some can be pushy as **** and maybe even bully people into the service but come on now...
Old 11-09-2005, 08:01 PM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
salty dont be so butt hurt about it man..

its not that big of a deal... see it for what it is.. a knee jerk/middle finger to the feds for the various ****ups they have done in the past...

to state that you wont have any remorse for anyone who even lives in SF regardless of their politics is ****ing stupid as **** man..
I agree man, a little extreme don't you think?
Old 11-09-2005, 08:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
The gun measure was a referendum by the voters, so it might stand up in court. MIGHT
Old 11-09-2005, 09:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
[QUOTE=MVWRX]I guess it'd be funny because it'd get you the s***iest recruit class of all time?

QUOTE]
LMAO. HAAAAAA HAAAAAAA
Old 11-09-2005, 09:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by ftnssn
The gun measure was a referendum by the voters, so it might stand up in court. MIGHT
Not a chance. Unconstitutional.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Not a chance. Unconstitutional.
Tell that to people in DC and Chicago.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Good point....
Old 11-13-2005, 02:01 AM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Again, distracting fromt the thread topic- come on now- we're talking about crazy liberals in SF