Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

What a Crock

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 07:48 AM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
What a Crock

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/10/rel...obertson.reut/

this guy is turnig into comedy... does ANYONE really listen to this swindler?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:15 AM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
what a nut job
Old 11-12-2005, 11:37 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Is that such a big deal? Bill Orieilly said SF shouldn't get federal funds or military intervention if terrorism happens in SF since SF voters voted to ban military recruiting. Though along the same logical lines, I think Orielly's statement is less reasonable.

Of course, you aren't going to buy Robertson's views if you have rejected God.
You need to keep this into the context that our nation's founders, majority of its citizens (even now), and majority of its leaders over the years have trusted in God and credit him with our great nation's prosperity.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Robertson is a crook. It doesn't take a liberal to figure that out. Hell my deeply religious grandmother just walked it when I was reading that article and commented on how screwey that guy is. Something about people like that hi-jacking the Christian religion?
Old 11-12-2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Is that such a big deal? Bill Orieilly said SF shouldn't get federal funds or military intervention if terrorism happens in SF since SF voters voted to ban military recruiting. Though along the same logical lines, I think Orielly's statement is less reasonable.

You need to keep this into the context that our nation's founders, majority of its citizens (even now), and majority of its leaders over the years have trusted in God and credit him with our great nation's prosperity.

Even if you have accepted god, nobody should listen to him. He comes on after the local news where I live, and sometimes I dont change the channel in time... I can't stand his soft, elderly, broken tone of voice and his injection-molded facial expressions as he cons people into buying his books, fruit smoothies, whatever crap he may be pushing. He has gained trust from many evangelicals somehow, and I see him as a cult leader who abuses power and this trust for personal gain as well as pushing ridiculous initiatives to fit his twisted outlook on how the world should be.

As for your comarison to O'Reilly, yeah- that's less reasonable because they still pay taxes to fund the military and do, imo , still deserve support in case of a terrorist attack or natural disaster. In both cases, there are probably plenty of voters who supported the military or god respecitely, but Robertson is basically using the threat of god's wrath to encourage people to vote the way HE would like them to. Using threats from god for political gain... now that is slimy. If he knew god, then he would know that he is loving and caring (from what I've heard) and would not generalize a specific population because a majority voted to keep church and public education seperate. Also, isn't he supposed to be forgiving? Geeezus, I haven't had any religion my entire life and this guy is the Christian posterboy of our nation- why should I be correcting him? If a natural disater struck, are all of the billboards outside churches going to read: "Screw you- God left a LONG time ago- on your request." Hell no. They will be as accepting as ever, doing whatever they can and using difficult times as a opening for fresh recruitment, as usual.

See the difference Hella?

The equivalent to Roberson's apocolypic threats to Oreilly's statement would be for Bill to suggest that, well, perhaps SF would become a military target of our own. Now that is ridiculous- just like everything Robertson stands for.

If you or anyone want to start arguing FOR intelligent design (especially in public schools), well, I think that deserves a new thread. How, if at all, does it differ from Creationism- besides 'sounding' more scientific? It never has, isn't, and never will be, to the slightest extent, tied to science. Flat out. He is just upset that our children are learning the truth- which may contradict parts of religious belief and undermine it's credibility. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Face it- religion is heading downhill, and no whack-job can save it. Hell, if all it can get me is wrath- why buy into THAT? He's dug himself into a hole.

Man I wish I could talk to him in person... but he's probably surrounded by yes-men like MJ was- sheilding him from reality all they can.

Last edited by scoobsport98; 11-12-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
Robertson is a crook. It doesn't take a liberal to figure that out. Hell my deeply religious grandmother just walked it when I was reading that article and commented on how screwey that guy is. Something about people like that hi-jacking the Christian religion?

The sad thing is, he still has lots of support in pockets of puppet-like, insane, uber-righteous Christians across the country.

I think Bush, for his own good, needs to make it clear that he is seperate from him and does not espouse his beliefs.

Last edited by scoobsport98; 11-12-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:47 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by scoobsport98
Even if you have accepted god, nobody should listen to him. He comes on after the local news where I live, and sometimes I dont change the channel in time... I can't stand his soft, elderly, broken tone of voice and his injection-molded facial expressions as he cons people into buying his books, fruit smoothies, whatever crap he may be pushing. He has gained trust from many evangelicals somehow, and I see him as a cult leader who abuses power and this trust for personal gain as well as pushing ridiculous initiatives to fit his twisted outlook on how the world should be.
As for your comarison to O'Reilly, yeah- that's less reasonable because they still pay taxes to fund the military and do, imo , still deserve support in case of a terrorist attack or natural disaster. In both cases, there are probably plenty of voters who supported the military or god respecitely, but Robertson is basically using the threat of god's wrath to encourage people to vote the way HE would like them to. Using threats from god for political gain... now that is slimy. If he knew god, then he would know that he is loving and caring (from what I've heard) and would not generalize a specific population because a majority voted to keep church and public education seperate. Also, isn't he supposed to be forgiving? Geeezus, I haven't had any religion my entire life and this guy is the Christian posterboy of our nation- why should I be correcting him? If a natural disater struck, are all of the billboards outside churches going to read: "Screw you- God left a LONG time ago- on your request." Hell no. They will be as accepting as ever, doing whatever they can and using difficult times as a opening for fresh recruitment, as usual.
See the difference Hella?
The equivalent to Roberson's apocolypic threats to Oreilly's statement would be for Bill to suggest that, well, perhaps SF would become a military target of our own. Now that is ridiculous- just like everything Robertson stands for.
If you or anyone want to start arguing FOR intelligent design (especially in public schools), well, I think that deserves a new thread. How, if at all, does it differ from Creationism- besides 'sounding' more scientific? It never has, isn't, and never will be, to the slightest extent, tied to science. Flat out. He is just upset that our children are learning the truth- which may contradict parts of religious belief and undermine it's credibility. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Face it- religion is heading downhill, and no whack-job can save it. Hell, if all it can get me is wrath- why buy into THAT? He's dug himself into a hole.
Man I wish I could talk to him in person... but he's probably surrounded by yes-men like MJ was- sheilding him from reality all they can.
I don't understand why you and others get your panties in such a bind over stuff like this (?????). I don't think it's a big deal... kinda funny actually.

It's not as if he's calling for "hell fire and brimstone" or some sodom-like judgement on them.... ahhahahahahaha.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:38 PM

I don't understand why you and others get your panties in such a bind over stuff like this (?????). I don't think it's a big deal... kinda funny actually.

It's not as if he's calling for "hell fire and brimstone" or some sodom-like judgement on them.... ahhahahahahaha.
To explain (holding your hand... again)... Since he a prominent person in the public and is a leader of the current evangelical republican political movement, I see this as a big deal in terms of political relevance. He is making it clear to everyone by doing this that he is more politically motivated than some may think and he will abuse his stature as a religious leader to get what he wants politically- even going as far as making such threats to entire communities because a portion of them didn't vote to keep their bible-beating school board members in office. And if not fire and brimstone, what do you think he is threatening? I wouldn't doubt anything from that crazy fool.

Anyway, don't even make me dig up some of the threads you have started if you want to start that crap.

If you want to add to the discussion- go ahead. Otherwise, kick back and crank up 700 club. I know you've got it TiVO'ed

Last edited by scoobsport98; 11-12-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:47 PM

I think this was your attempt to discuss- but you obviously missed the entire point. Tell me, should anyone (regardless of faith) buy robertson's views> I think not.

And what the hell are you trying to say with your second sentence? Go ahead- put this in the right context- I guess I'm not looking at it correctly [biggest of all time] Nice spin attempt.

[even though this has nothing to do with the topic of the thread- you brought it up]
And really?, the majority of US citizens today credit god with our nation's prosperity? What the hell has he (god) done lately? And considering we haven't really prospered lately, do they blame that on god, too? Or only the good stuff?

Your argument is futile.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:58 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
I agree that guys like Falwell and Robertson have hi-jacked the Christian religion. They only prove the degree to which man is flawed.

A famous German theologian named Dietrich Bonhoeffer once wrote that it is paramount that we judge (for lack of a better word) Christianity on Christ and not on so-called Christians. Far-right wingers like the 2 aforementioned individuals should be stood up to by sensible people of faith as well as any other person who feels maligned by their reckless behavior. To simply brush it off as Hella suggests is both ignorant and cowardly.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:50 PM

Like I said, I just think about all the people who have their panties in a bind... Did Robertson's statement give you a mental wedgie?

I don't think what Robertson said is a big deal, though, I'd be curious if a 100yr storm hit.

Originally Posted by dub2w
I agree that guys like Falwell and Robertson have hi-jacked the Christian religion.
Hi-jacked? I wouldn't go that far.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 11-12-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:38 AM

Like I said, I just think about all the people who have their panties in a bind... Did Robertson's statement give you a mental wedgie?

I don't think what Robertson said is a big deal, though, I'd be curious if a 100yr storm hit.

Hi-jacked? I wouldn't go that far.

Gawd you're an idiot.

you remind me of those arab sheiks who won't denounce acts of terror-

Here it is in paraphrased form- if you're too dense to understand what I've said.
He is a public figure who represents the views of a large political movement- and he's sounding like a crazy, which undermines all he stands for.

So, answer this (instead of resorting to your bound panties line AGAIN): do you agree with him on this subject?

And as for the 'mental wedgie' - if you meant 'did what he said make you feel uncomfortable?' Hell yes it did. I can't stand the thought of hundreds of fellow citizens falling for this malarky.

And by hi-jacked, we mean people like him who have such influence have taken what control they have and are steering religion in the wrong direction. What would you call what he is doing? Until you present an alternative- I'm going with 'hijack,' and I think it's quite apt. If you'd like to see a contrasting example of using religion well, here ya go:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051112/ts_nm/pope_usa_dc_1
[again- this has nothing to do with the thread topic- but Hella needs help understanding...]

And really, it's not Robertson's actions that irks me the most- it's knowing there are people like you who refuse to or simply can't see how ridiculous this really is.

If you don't respond with something intelligent and/or relevant- I will give up and simply ignore you. If you agree with him- just say it. Please, for your own good, stop this 'well, it's not a big deal' crap. That's getting you nowhere
Old 11-13-2005, 01:42 AM

And who keeps unsubscribing me from this thread? I smell something fishy (though that may be hella- it's his time of the month.)
Old 11-13-2005, 06:52 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by dub2w
I agree that guys like Falwell and Robertson have hi-jacked the Christian religion.
Edit: I should have been more clear and said "attempted to hijack"...
Old 11-13-2005, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by scoobsport98
Gawd you're an idiot.

you remind me of those arab sheiks who won't denounce acts of terror-

And really, it's not Robertson's actions that irks me the most- it's knowing there are people like you who refuse to or simply can't see how ridiculous this really is.
I do think it's, in your words, "ridiculous." As a Christian, and speaking for the majority of Christians, I can say that Robertson may speak to us, but not for us.