Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Obama Seeks To Extend Key Patriot Act Provisions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Obama Seeks To Extend Key Patriot Act Provisions

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss:

The Obama Administration wants to extend controversial provisions of the Patriot Act, including federal snoops' ability to conduct roving wiretaps, access business records and monitor so-called "lone wolf" terrorists.

The stance could anger civil rights groups and critics on both the right and left who have encouraged President Obama to scrap the post-Sept. 11 law, which they feel infringes on the rights of citizens. As a candidate, Obama, a former professor of Constitutional law,said legal institutions must be updated to deal with the threat of terrorism, but in a way that preserves the rule of law and accountability.

From 2004 to 2007, the business records provision was used 220 times, usually in combination with requests for phone records. The lone wolf provision was created to conduct surveillance on suspects with no known link to foreign governments or terrorist groups. It has never been used. The roving wiretaps provision is aimed at allowing investigators to monitor calls by suspects who change their cell phones, without investigators having to go back to court for a new court authorization. That provision has been used an average of 22 times a year, officials said.

The Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled a hearing next week on the Patriot Act.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:57 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Hope & Change?

All those poor ****ers that actually voted for Barry will some how defend this action.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:48 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Yea this was known a while ago. There will be no repeal of the Patrioc Act you can still be put into prison without a reason.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:52 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Yeah, I pretty much saw this coming. I would have been surprised if he actually had the PA repealed.