Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Yaay for the patriot act

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 06:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Yaay for the patriot act

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10454316/

Is the Pentagon spying on Americans?

What an absolute waste of taxpayer dollars. Go ahead and defend the patriot act. Someone remind me what good it does....

The military now investigates senior citizens that want to speak out against their government.......BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 07:59 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
This investigation does seem silly, but how do know if a group is a risk if it isn't investigated?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:00 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Spying on dissenting citizens, hidden torture facilities, blind nationalism bordering jingoism, an executive branch that spews out-right lies and disinformation... unfortunately this is not a Stalinist Soviet state I speak of.

Anyone else tired of where we are going as a nation?!?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:01 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Oaf
but how do know if a group is a risk if it isn't investigated?
For sure. There is a group of introverted scrap-bookers who live down the street from me. They amass once a week, sit next to a fireplace, and whisper amongst themselves. Im calling them in.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:37 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by dub2w
For sure. There is a group of introverted scrap-bookers who live down the street from me. They amass once a week, sit next to a fireplace, and whisper amongst themselves. Im calling them in.
Do you know the power a well put together scarp book could have in a revolution?

OK OK seriously though, I think this stuff has probably gone on for years. With an administation that can't seem to keep it's **** together for 5 minutes combined with the fact the Dems are on a witch hunt and are looking for GOP blood........it's a recipe for exposure. It seems like the happy division that used to exsist in the Senate is gone and now they don't care to go on with their "mutual symbiosis" that used to exsist. It was a "live and let live" situation in prior administrations but now there is literally a bit of malice between them.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:40 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
OK OK seriously though, I think this stuff has probably gone on for years.
The difference being that before the PA it was illegal for such things to go on. Now it is all in the name of national security and is perfectly legal for the government to spy on my grandma and her knitting circle in Florida.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
The difference being that before the PA it was illegal for such things to go on. Now it is all in the name of national security and is perfectly legal for the government to spy on my grandma and her knitting circle in Florida.
Do you honestly think it being "illegal" stopped the gov't before? Hell no. I know this for a fact. How do you think we get all this great intel. on drug smugglers etc.... trust me when I tell you it happened before the PA. If nothing else all a gov't official had to do was go get a warrant signed from a judge (which is so easy it's rediculous, I've never had one denied) and they can tape phones, conduct serveillance, view financial records, even investigate the history of their children (assuming they're minors).
Old 12-14-2005, 08:52 AM
VIP Member

Do you honestly think it being "illegal" stopped the gov't before? Hell no. I know this for a fact. How do you think we get all this great intel. on drug smugglers etc.... trust me when I tell you it happened before the PA. If nothing else all a gov't official had to do was go get a warrant signed from a judge (which is so easy it's rediculous, I've never had one denied) and they can tape phones, conduct serveillance, view financial records, even investigate the history of their children (assuming they're minors).

Oh no I realize that it happened before. But if something like this little document was ever uncovered back in those days at least some heads would roll. Now it's all good in the name of Natl. Security, which is BS IMHO.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:56 AM

Oh no I realize that it happened before. But if something like this little document was ever uncovered back in those days at least some heads would roll. Now it's all good in the name of Natl. Security, which is BS IMHO.

It will always happen. I know it sounds Orwellian for me say that but I feel it's true. Suspicous individuals that a gov't agency/official see as potential threats will always be investigated. On 9/11 look at all the intel we had on the highjackers and we still couldn't stop them from destroying our largest fiscal symbol. It might just be me, but imagine the potential for disaster if we let things just go into entrophy. I don't do anything illegal, so (and again) I don't mind compromising the privacy of other potential wrong-doers to protect the American public. They're obviously not going to be to overly concerned with the Average Joe. They don't have the time of day to investigate people on threat lists let alone the aggregate American public. Again, just my opinion.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:02 AM
VIP Member

They're obviously not going to be to overly concerned with the Average Joe. They don't have the time of day to investigate people on threat lists let alone the aggregate American public. Again, just my opinion.
I agree with most of your previous post sans this part. They obviously do have time to investigate the "average joe" and it shows. This is the scary part. I don't do anything illegal but I still wouldn't want the government to be surveiling me like a god damned criminal. And aside from the I don't care since I don't do anything illegal argument think about the amount of money that was spent investigating this so-called "threat" in florida. That alone should be reason for concern, that and the whole illusion that we have some right to privacy now-a-days.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:06 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
This is no big deal. Once again the liberals are having a fit because we are doing what it takes to preserve our great nation.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:08 AM

I agree with most of your previous post sans this part. They obviously do have time to investigate the "average joe" and it shows. This is the scary part. I don't do anything illegal but I still wouldn't want the government to be surveiling me like a god damned criminal. And aside from the I don't care since I don't do anything illegal argument think about the amount of money that was spent investigating this so-called "threat" in florida. That alone should be reason for concern, that and the whole illusion that we have some right to privacy now-a-days.
I agree with that. I totally agree that someone with a brain needs to be put in charge of using the funds in a benefical way. What ever happened to common sense investigation? It should be used on a case-by-case basis where the investigation stands a chance of yielding possible leads on terrorist/national security threat activity.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:57 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
This is no big deal. Once again the liberals are having a fit because we are doing what it takes to preserve our great nation.

...you sound a lot like a member of the SS man...
Old 12-14-2005, 09:58 AM
VIP Member

I agree with that. I totally agree that someone with a brain needs to be put in charge of using the funds in a benefical way. What ever happened to common sense investigation? It should be used on a case-by-case basis where the investigation stands a chance of yielding possible leads on terrorist/national security threat activity.
Exactly...
Old 12-14-2005, 10:09 AM

Exactly...
But a scrape book club meeting at strange hours of the night sounds like an invitation for a suit-case nuclear bomb or a anthrax attack. Is it just me? Where the hell are the investigators at?

Quick Reply: Yaay for the patriot act