Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Must Hear: Mayor fed up with slow response

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 12:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Must Hear: Mayor fed up with slow response

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...agin.intv.affl

You have to hear ALL of this. He tells it how it needs to be told. He talks about the reason for the looters, the addicts, etc.

Yes, the mayor was responsilbe for the city and may have made some bad calls with the LA governor at the state level when Katrina was en route. But when those levees were lost without any support in sight, it was blatantly obvious that the Federal Government failed thereafter.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:48 PM

Car Info: Sline
NM, I confused myself.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
I would not give that man control of the military.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:38 PM

Car Info: 02 BRP 2.5RS-T
Awww come on it's not like there's hundreds of school buses sitting flooded in their lots because the mayor failed to deploy them during the "mandatory" evacuation.
http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050901/480/flpc21109012015

Last edited by svxr8dr; 09-02-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:57 PM
VIP Member

omg..
Old 09-02-2005, 04:01 PM

Car Info: Sline
Yeah, I saw that on the news...
Old 09-02-2005, 04:13 PM
VIP Member

WOW! I did not know that. That's crazy! Car pool those back and forth to a pre-arranged safe area and they could have legitimately turned NO into a ghost town prior to the storm. During the FIRST "mandatory" evacuation. Unbelievable.

Suddenly my disdain for the mayor and LA State officals has gone through the roof! There no excuse with all those buses!

Last edited by Salty; 09-02-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:13 AM
VIP Member

I'm still not over this... Those buses could have been HUGE.

All it would have taken is a pre-arranged area set-up by the NO mayor or LA governor to utilize those buses back and forth during the 4 day hurricane notice. How many people do those buses hold? Anyone care to do the math if they trucked them to a grass field or a couple Super Walmart parking lot 500miles north for 3 continuous days?

If they planned it well enough they could have left one lane open on the opposite side of the Interstate for these buses. I specifically remember the opposite lane on the interstates not being utilized in some aerial footage.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:19 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
^^ I agree...people were too selfish and not enough altruistic enough to servive this horrible encounter with nature at even a city level.

Last edited by MVWRX; 09-03-2005 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
buses dont mean **** when you cant fuel them...

you could have eleventeen billion of em ready to go, but with a range of a hundred miles, and a fuel shortage that even has atlanta in its sights, i doubt the busses would have gotten to far (school busses DO NOT have the same fuel tank size as greyhounds, and other LONG DISTANCE buses do)..

and i have heard else where that the major even noted he made some wrong choices.. and that he would have to live with those for hte rest of his life...

funny how you guys are trying to cling to those school busses as if it in someway invalidates the mans views, thoughts, and opinnions on the situation.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:22 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
buses dont mean **** when you cant fuel them...

you could have eleventeen billion of em ready to go, but with a range of a hundred miles, and a fuel shortage that even has atlanta in its sights, i doubt the busses would have gotten to far (school busses DO NOT have the same fuel tank size as greyhounds, and other LONG DISTANCE buses do)..
It doesn't matter. And for the record most school buses have a ~100gallon tank when those designed for long distance have ~140gallon tanks. I've traveled well over 500miles in a bluebird bus while in the military. It can be done. You utilize unconventional means as part of a city-wide SOP years, months, weeks, or days in advance and you could have those tanks already filled on standby or immediately next to a diesel holding tank for fast filling. And even if it was a last ditch effort we're talking diesel fuel here. If damn near everyone got out of NO on unleaded with thousands of cars then imagine how many of those vehicles didn't run on diesel fuel.

And even if all the stations were dry on diesel it still doesn't matter. Again, these people had years to think of such a plan and didn't. It's just pure carelessness at the city and state level first, with federal support coming in at second. If New Orleans were a private residence during a natural disaster that was bound to happen, then they’d be that residence without candles, flashlights, food, water, and shelter.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
Originally Posted by Salty
It doesn't matter. And for the record most school buses have a ~100gallon tank when those designed for long distance have ~140gallon tanks. I've traveled well over 500miles in a bluebird bus while in the military. It can be done. You utilize unconventional means as part of a city-wide SOP years, months, weeks, or days in advance and you could have those tanks already filled on standby or immediately next to a diesel holding tank for fast filling. And even if it was a last ditch effort we're talking diesel fuel here. If damn near everyone got out of NO on unleaded with thousands of cars then imagine how many of those vehicles didn't run on diesel fuel.

And even if all the stations were dry on diesel it still doesn't matter. Again, these people had years to think of such a plan and didn't. It's just pure carelessness at the city and state level first, with federal support coming in at second. If New Orleans were a private residence during a natural disaster that was bound to happen, then they’d be that residence without candles, flashlights, food, water, and shelter.

right there is plenty of deisel in NO, that is why all the internet POP's are going down due to lack of diesel fuel shipments..

Yupo its offical salty knows everything..

http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

they got fuel only because 3 guys (one of which was a customer) were able to heroicly get them some fuel..

so dont act like every single gas station in NO is emtpy of unleaded and full of diesel.. that is completely wrong and utter bull****.

sorry to say it..
Old 09-03-2005, 01:38 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
dre, you are insane.

The buses should have been used to evacuate the people before the storm hit.
When there still was plenty of fuel.
When the roads were still dry.
Y'know, in a pro-active way.

The local gov't had 7 years to develope an effective disaster plan.
They didn't and as a result, possibly thousands have died.
But let's all blame the Feds and more importantly, Bush.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:59 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Oaf
The buses should have been used to evacuate the people before the storm hit.
When there still was plenty of fuel.
When the roads were still dry.
Bingo, "mandatory evacuation" means get the **** out while you can.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:53 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
Good old George W. was on vacation and didn't feel like responding tell after he finished the back 9.