Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Muslims protest 24 TV Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Muslims protest 24 TV Series

I'm glad they're upset because I'm still upset about 9/11:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

CLIFTON, New Jersey (AP) -- Two years ago, Muslim groups protested when the plot of the hit Fox drama "24" cast Islamic terrorists as the villains who launched a stolen nuclear missile in an attack on America.

Now, after a one-year respite during which Russian separatists played the bad guys on the critically acclaimed series, Muslims are back in the evil spotlight. Unlike last time, when agent Jack Bauer saved the day, the terrorists this time have already succeeded in detonating a nuclear bomb in a Los Angeles suburb.

Being portrayed again as the heartless wrongdoers has drawn renewed protests from Muslim groups, including one that had a meeting with Fox executives two years ago over the issue. (Watch why "24" is worrying Muslims )

"The overwhelming impression you get is fear and hatred for Muslims," said Rabiah Ahmed, a spokeswoman for the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations. She said Thursday she was distressed by this season's premiere. "After watching that show, I was afraid to go to the grocery store because I wasn't sure the person next to me would be able to differentiate between fiction and reality."

She said the group had a conference call Wednesday with Fox executives to protest the current plot line and request more positive portrayals of Muslims on the show, but was not promised anything.

After a January 2005 meeting with CAIR, Fox aired a commercial in which the show's star, Kiefer Sutherland, urged viewers to keep in mind that the show's villains are not representative of all Muslims.

In a written statement issued late Wednesday night, the network said it has not singled out any ethnic or religious group for blame in creating its characters.

"24 is a heightened drama about anti-terrorism," the statement read. "After five seasons, the audience clearly understands this, and realizes that any individual, family, or group (ethnic or otherwise) that engages in violence is not meant to be typical.

"Over the past several seasons, the villains have included shadowy Anglo businessmen, Baltic Europeans, Germans, Russians, Islamic fundamentalists, and even the (Anglo-American) president of the United States," the network said. "The show has made a concerted effort to show ethnic, religious and political groups as multidimensional, and political issues are debated from multiple viewpoints."
Honestly, when was the last time a hate crime was committed against someone for being Muslim since 9/11 in the USA? Anyone? I can think of two occasions of the exact opposite that hit the MSM: The disgruntled driver in San Francisco and gunman and the jewish center in Seattle.

Hollywood has nothing to apologize over. Despite it being the worst industry on the face of the planet they do well in the portrayal and casting department. They used Anthony Hopkins as the crazed and intelligent Hanibal, not Carlos Mencia or Pee Wee Herman. They cast Ice Cube and Cuba Gooding Jr. in Boyz n the Hood, not a bunch of white actors. What's more appropriate in this case seeing how the vast majority of terror acts have been committed by Muslim men?

Even though I despise CAIR really take a moment to read this story and ask yourself who is to blame. All those interviewed were: A spokeswoman for the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations, an official with the Los Angeles-based Muslim Public Affairs Council, a New Jersey immigration lawyer who represented scores of detainees caught up in the post September 11, 2001, dragnet, and a member of the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee.

A classic case of the media buying into the Muslim equivalent to the NAACP. The media sure knows where to turn when they crave grievance story, don’t they? CAIR claims to speak for Muslims when they're really speaking for themselves. The CAIR is the real problem Muslims face, not a non-Muslim thug at the grocery store.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:06 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
If they don't like it here and fear for their safety, maybe they'd be better off in a predominately Muslim country?
Say Iraq, Iran, Afgahnistan, etc?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:13 AM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
anyine see the movie "children of men"? thats what we should do to our immagrents..
Old 01-22-2007, 05:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by spedmunki
anyine see the movie "children of men"? thats what we should do to our immagrents..

Wow. I think you may have taken the wrong message out of that movie.

-Chris
Old 01-26-2007, 12:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
*** & Forkum do it again! Awesome
Attached Thumbnails Muslims protest 24 TV Series-07.01.21.stranerthan-x.gif  
Old 01-26-2007, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
No comment