Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

More misdirection from the Bush White House

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 03:53 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
More misdirection from the Bush White House

They knew Katrina was a threat to the levees and were worried about it before the storm, but publically said they had faith that the levees would hold. They knew they didn't have enough resources and people to help everyone before the storm, but waited until days later to call for help from other states and such. This admin is pathetic.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:39 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Who is responsible for your safety?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:23 PM

I see what you're getting at, but I was more pointing to the fact that the admin knew there was trouble coming but pretended that the danger wasn't nearly as bad as they thought it would be. So they knew to be more ready than they were. Furthermore, if they had told everyone they had info that said they levees were likely to break and had disseminated that knowledge, more people could have taken care of themselves as you're suggesting.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
When wouldn't the issue of levees be raised when a Hurricane is headed straight to New Orleans? I wonder what people think Bush's agenda looked like or should have looked like pre-Katrina:

1)The levee issue in New Orleans - Is the state of Louisiana and the United States prepared for a levee break in NO? An elaborate levee system that hasn't ever been significantly improved to withstand category 3+ winds even though there has been seventeen category 3 or Higher Storms Since 1852 (1+ significant storm every decade). Why haven't other Presidents done this, fellas? Why hasn't anyone taken New Orleans seriously for 50+yrs?
2)Iraq
3)Afghanistan
4)Iran
5)China

Now consider this... you have the threat of a levee break in one hand and the threat of a massive Hurricane in the other. What do you do as the President? You issue a warning days in advance (what happened). So much in advance that you can pack clothes in a backpack like old people **** and foot it out (what happened). Do you think issuing a levee break warning to people that should know they're below sea level is going to instill enough fear in people to hike out of there? Warning them that one of the deadliest Hurricanes to directly hit NO was en route wasn't enough to do that!

All I’m saying is that you put WAY too much weight on the administration's shoulders when it should be on the state and local official's shoulders. The answer to all these problems is based on an effective evacuation plan put out by state and local officials and the people. It was the least they could have done that never happened! Hundreds of buses sat in a dry parking-lot days before the hurricane struck only to be left wading in a watery graveyard post-Katrina. This was just one of numerous ****-ups by the state and local officials.

Last edited by Salty; 03-01-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Now consider this... you have the threat of a levee break in one hand and the threat of a massive Hurricane in the other.
Well since one caused the other, why didn't they give a warning that stressed the fact that the storm is the least of their worries because it was strong enough to likely cause a levee failure

Originally Posted by Salty
All I’m saying is that you put WAY too much weight on the administration's shoulders when it should be on the state and local official's shoulders. The answer to all these problems is based on an effective evacuation plan put out by state and local officials. It was the least they could have done that never happened! Hundreds of buses sat in a dry parking-lot days before the hurricane struck only to be left wading in a watery graveyard post-Katrina. This was just one of numerous ****-ups by the state and local officials.
Agreed in a way. I would just expect that if the federal government saw the whole thing (the threat of the levees breaking being so high and seeing the local and state governments not being prepared) they would have put some serious pressure on those people to get prepared immediatly.

When I started this thread I didn't mean to reopen the 'Who's fault was Katrina' debate. I was more pointing out yet another instance of the current white house misleading the public and telling half-truths when the whole truth would have had no negative effects. And then lying afterwords to make it seem as though they didn't have the whole truth to begin with even though we have proof they did.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by MVWRX
Well since one caused the other, why didn't they give a warning that stressed the fact that the storm is the least of their worries because it was strong enough to likely cause a levee failure.
And part of my point is how in the hell do you live in NO without knowing this threat from the start. As a citizen of Sacramento I know the levees and rivers are a serious threat to the valley and we're not even below sea level! Hell, a lot of people here know this and i'm sure a lot in the Bay Area do as well. So when does Paul's point take effect? Do we ever bestow responsibility at the individual level for anything?

Agreed in a way. I would just expect that if the federal government saw the whole thing (the threat of the levees breaking being so high and seeing the local and state governments not being prepared) they would have put some serious pressure on those people to get prepared immediatly.
I can agree with this. I'm just saying that even though it's been overlooked by administrations for decades, the fact that the people of LA did nothing is where the gross problem lies. You can lead a camel to water but you can't make it drink.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
It's the lies. It's the fact that he's on camera saying how no one could have known the levees would break and what do you know he is also now on video being warned explicity on that exact topic, exactly what I have come to expect from Bushy actually.

And to address Paul's point, alot of those people that were stuck down there didn't have the resources or ability to get out ahead of the storm, now there were a lot of people that didn't leave because they thought they would just stick it out and for those people I agree that the responsibility falls squarely on their shoulders. I still think the majority of the responisibility for the whole mess falls on the local and state officials.

"Brownie you're doin' a heck of a job!!!"
Old 03-02-2006, 06:49 AM

Car Info: Sline
I see what you're getting at, but I was more pointing to the fact that the admin knew there was trouble coming but pretended that the danger wasn't nearly as bad as they thought it would be. So they knew to be more ready than they were. Furthermore, if they had told everyone they had info that said they levees were likely to break and had disseminated that knowledge, more people could have taken care of themselves as you're suggesting.
I see what you're saying, and you're right. But the fact of the matter is they were ALL told to get out. That it was not going to be a safe area. Does it matter what's going to make it not safe? LEAVE!

I still believe most of the blame should lay on the shoulders of the Mayor and Governor.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:54 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jvick125
I see what you're saying, and you're right. But the fact of the matter is they were ALL told to get out. That it was not going to be a safe area. Does it matter what's going to make it not safe? LEAVE!
While you are right, Alot of those people had been through Hurricanes before and making it through the hurricane is a hell of a lot easier than making it after the levee's burst. And a lot of those people did not have the resources available to them to get out of NOLA.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:00 AM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
While you are right, Alot of those people had been through Hurricanes before and making it through the hurricane is a hell of a lot easier than making it after the levee's burst. And a lot of those people did not have the resources available to them to get out of NOLA.
They were there, they just were not utilized. ie: the picture of the parking lot full of school buses underwater.

You're right about them having been through it before. Didn't really think about that. So yeah, I can see now how they thought they would be ok.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:09 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jvick125
They were there, they just were not utilized. ie: the picture of the parking lot full of school buses underwater.
And ultimately that falls on the local and state governments being under-prepared, but don't think there wasn't a massive bussing effort to get people out because there was, it just wasn't massive enough. You really have to realize how many school busses there are in New Orleans and surrounding parishes. That one lot full of school busses isn't really indicitive of anything.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
It's the lies. It's the fact that he's on camera saying how no one could have known the levees would break and what do you know he is also now on video being warned explicity on that exact topic...

This is what I was getting at. The NOLA flooding is already a dead horse, and we've all already agreed that more should have happened at the state a local levels. But they didn't flat out lie about what they did and didn't know. The federal government did.

Since conservatives were all up in arms about a lie that had no national consequences in the Clinton admin, I figured this (a lie that actually had something to do with the wellbeing of the country) might get conservatives up set...I guess I was wrong huh...
Old 03-02-2006, 10:54 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Bush lied, people died.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:58 AM

Damn straight. Not to mention the other (far greater magnitude) lies he told that put our soldiers in harms way and wastes ~half a billion dollars A DAY.

Is it stuborness, stupidness, or a homoerotic love of the current president that keeps you all so stuck to his ***...
Old 03-02-2006, 12:18 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Bush lied, people died.
Bush clowned, people drowned.

Quick Reply: More misdirection from the Bush White House