Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Many apologies. Non-political query.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 03:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Many apologies. Non-political query.

I'd LOVE to get everyone's input, especially Salty, 1Regu, noxwagon, Chrisnonstop (those who have served/are serving in the military).

Regulation states that in order to retire as an officer, one must complete 10 years of commissioned service. Also, it states (I believe) that in order to resign one's commission, one must be prior enlisted, although I could be way off on that one.

...I have 9 yrs as an Officer and 9 years enlisted (4 active followed by 5 USAR, with the last 2 yrs in the USAR under the simultaneous membership program.)

It's also important to point out that while I have 18 years of federal service, due to my time in the USAR I actually have about 5 or 6 years before I can retire.

I am 'branch qualified' in my field which means that at my current rank, I have accomplished my required time in command in order to be promoted to the next rank. This is another way of stating that I'm one more step removed from actually soldiering. I'm another rank away from the 'firefight'. My impact on 'the battle', whatever that may be, is through the plan I put on paper and project downwards towards the fighters. No matter what 'scare badges' I have on my chest, I'm a REMF whether others in my position want to admit it or not.

I'm not saying that I would do this, but I'm certainly giving it A LOT of thought.

Cliffnotes: should I resign my commission (which means that I would take generally a 50% paycut) in order to be on the front lines as a Squad Leader (in charge of 8 men) or a Platoon Sergeant (in charge of 34)?
Old 06-01-2005, 03:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
So it's become a Battalion XO or Platoon Daddy? If this move means loss of retirement at the O3/O4 scale then no way. Especially given the fact your family just grew again.

You've already experienced time on the line in garrison and combat at the officer and enlisted ranks. Again, if it means loss of pensions then I wouldn't. If not, then it's a personal choice. Really ask yourself if you're doing it because it's the right thing to do or because all you'll be dealing with are the 03's, CSM and 05's instead of what you're used to.

I think you know what I’m saying... Dealing with lower enlisted and O’s is a lot easier and more personable than dealing battalion. Probably a lot more entertaining too. The only time you’ll be able to deal with a line soldiers for an extended period of time is when they’re half asleep on Staff Duty.

If you can do it at 10yrs with O3 retirement then I say go for it. You'll be the **** when people realize what loss you took to be in the dirt.

Last edited by Salty; 06-02-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Thinking a little clearer now.

The only way that I can see this happening is if I do get promoted next year and am able to do 2 years as an O4. I believe that that's what you have to do in order to retire in a particular rank is to be wearing it for 2 years.

2nd condition is that my son and daughter are self-sufficient enough that they will be able to go to daycare while my wife works. She's a highschool teacher, so we won't be living very easily.

This way, I'd hopefully be a SFC for 2 years, enough time to take a platoon over to Iraq; then I retire.