Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Justices uphold welfare home searches

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:00 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Justices uphold welfare home searches

Now this is some ****ed up ****.

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court rejected a challenge today to San Diego County's practice of routinely searching welfare applicants' homes without warrants and ruling out assistance for those who refuse to let them in.
The justices refused, without comment, to intervene in the case from San Diego County, where investigators from the District Attorney's Office show up unannounced at applicants' homes and conduct searches that include peeking into closets and cabinets. The visits do not require any suspicion of fraud and are intended to confirm that people are eligible for government aid.

Failure to submit to the searches, which can last an hour, disqualifies applicants from assistance.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:08 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
I for one support this. My parents' neighbors are a prime example of why this is good. Their children run around with minimal clothes on all the time, and look like they never, ever bath. Their lawn is covered in ****.....I mean garbage, thousands of fisher price toys, and failed projects of the patriarch of their house. My mom called the health department on them because their house is an absolute eyesore, and my parents have worked too hard to have their property value decreased by a couple of primates living next door. The health department investigated their house and didn't find anything that gave them reason to intervene, but they did tell them if they continued to dispose of their garbage on the lawn that they would intervene. One of the social workers came over the house after and talked to my mom about the house and what happened. He said something along the lines of "It's funny. They are living in utter squaller, and they have a 50'' plasma in their living room."

If you are on welfare it should immediately go towards food, rent, clothing, education, and other essential living items. Welfare should not be used to live beyond one's mean, or for alcohol or cigarettes.

I understand that there are probably many families out there that do not abuse the system and desperately need it, but I think this would be a great deterant for those who abuse the welfare system.

If you pay little to no taxes, and take government handouts then you should expect Uncle Sam to lean on you.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I am totally for this.

We can search and audit people and corporations (etc) with the proper government agencies for compliance and fraud. Soldiers are constantly searched and tested being government property. If you're living off my tax dollars then we should have a right to audit your lifestyle. Plain and simple.

Can you imagine how many households would crumble with a welfare-type audit? You’d probably find enough Malt Liquor, drugs, and other contraband to fund the war on terror.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by spedmunki
I understand that there are probably many families out there that do not abuse the system and desperately need it, but I think this would be a great deterant for those who abuse the welfare system.

If you pay little to no taxes, and take government handouts then you should expect Uncle Sam to lean on you.
Correct. Plus it might light a fire under the asses of those mooching off welfare but are still following the rules. Maybe living under surveillance and the thumb will inspire them to get off their asses.

Those that are legitimately on welfare and are not likely to break the rules will eventually be recognized as such and be less likely to be harassed and thoroughly searched. In time they might even be skipped on the list.