Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

NYC subway searches - Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
NYC subway searches - Pros and Cons

The new word on the NYC streets is that searching persons invites racial profiling. The middle Eastern persons and the ACLU say the searches are illegal according to interviews I’ve seen on TV and from a couple friends in the big city.

A new T-shirt has emerged with logo on the front that says "I do not consent to being searched." A counter T-shirt has also emerged that has the logo wording that says "I do not consent to being blown up."

I have dealt with the security world in more ways than most people. I would much rather forfeit 30seconds of my time instead of welcoming the notion of having countless women and children being turned into hamburger.

It's constantly a double-edged sword with these asshats. Those who scream that their civil rights are being violated by searches are the first who are going to accuse the government of not doing enough when the bombs start going off.

Last edited by Salty; 07-23-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:03 PM
VIP Member

Here's the REAL problem for anyone that cares:

Old 07-23-2005, 02:08 PM
VIP Member

But seriously, besides profiling those clearly from the Middle East or those with brown skin and a Middle Eastern-type appearance (you must because it goes hand in hand with most every attacker since 9/11), how do you know what a Muslim looks like unless she's hiding her face or caring the Qu'ran? The NYPD is likely profiling, but in the proper, more subtle manner of professional law enforcer, looking for people whose behavior, rather than simply appearance, sends up a red flag.

Why is the second method more important? Because Palestinian terrorists began using dupes - dumb PC Swedish and English chicks charmed by the terrorists Guevara-esque air of danger and mystery - as mules to get past Israeli security. So Israeli profilers learned to treat young blonde chicks as aggressively as young Arab men.

Last edited by Salty; 07-23-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:14 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by Salty
But seriously, besides profiling those clearly from the Middle East or those with brown skin and a Middle Eastern-type appearance (you must because it goes hand in hand with most every attacker since 9/11), how do you know what a Muslim looks like unless she's hiding her face or caring the Qu'ran? The NYPD is likely profiling, but in the proper, more subtle manner of professional law enforcer, looking for people whose behavior, rather than simply appearance, sends up a red flag.

Why is the second method more important? Because Palestinian terrorists began using dupes - dumb PC Swedish and English chicks charmed by the terrorists Guevara-esque air of danger and mystery - as mules to get past Israeli security. So Israeli profilers learned to treat young blonde chicks as aggressively as young Arab men.
It's an incredibly difficult thing to figure out the guidelines for telling the $9/hr security guards, and even actual police officers to decide who to search and who to ignore. Even if you throw out all the ACLU and racial profiling garbage, terrorists don't walk around with big flashing signs on their foreheads saying "detain me." If you look at the pictures of all the known terrorists we've arrested in this and other countries, they look pretty much caucasian to casual observers, especially since most of them speak excellent english.

Basically, subway searches MAY yeild the result of arrested terrorist operators, but I think it's more likely it will just get the security officer and the closest dozen or people or so killed, instead of a dozen or two that are actually on a subway car. I personally wouldn't fight searches, but I also wouldn't expect real significant results from them.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:38 PM

Honestly, I look at it pretty simply- another large group of people have essentially declared war on us. And I don't mean in the traditional sense- this is not about land or oil fields or power; it's about killing us til we're dead, and the battlefields are going to be within our borders. Once in a while, stuff is going to happen here instead of someplace we can't pronounce, only vaguely know where to find on a map, and have never seen except on the news. And, short of converting to a totalitarian fascist state like the former USSR, there's nothing we can do about it. It probably sounds strange to hear me say that terrorist attacks, on a scale other than the ones on 9/11/01, are really a drop in the bucket of violent and accidental deaths that happen in this country. I mean think about it- did the terrorists in London kill more people than died in murders this week in this country? Doubt it. Did more people die accidentally here than on that subway? Probably. Now, I'm not trivializing what the idiots that call themselves Muslims are doing, but it's not something tat should be able to make us fundamentally change how we go about our lives.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
bastages
Old 07-25-2005, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Honestly, I look at it pretty simply- another large group of people have essentially declared war on us. And I don't mean in the traditional sense- this is not about land or oil fields or power; it's about killing us til we're dead, and the battlefields are going to be within our borders. Once in a while, stuff is going to happen here instead of someplace we can't pronounce, only vaguely know where to find on a map, and have never seen except on the news. And, short of converting to a totalitarian fascist state like the former USSR, there's nothing we can do about it. It probably sounds strange to hear me say that terrorist attacks, on a scale other than the ones on 9/11/01, are really a drop in the bucket of violent and accidental deaths that happen in this country. I mean think about it- did the terrorists in London kill more people than died in murders this week in this country? Doubt it. Did more people die accidentally here than on that subway? Probably. Now, I'm not trivializing what the idiots that call themselves Muslims are doing, but it's not something tat should be able to make us fundamentally change how we go about our lives.

No Ban, your right the terrorist didn't kill more people than murderers may have killed in this country. It's the fact that it interups the daily lives of the average citizen. For example, said person will not use public transportation, or will forgo a trip to the mall. Thier concept may be just to kill us but it's the overall impact made within society that makes it more dangerous. Not that the deaths Don't matter but the overall state of people that could be frightened into losing rights, people too nervous to continue along with thier daily lives cause what could happen at any moment. Statistically thier may be a better chance of being killed by a dumbass in a suv, but what would be on your mind if the propane tanks in Elk Grove were acted upon?
Old 07-26-2005, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by pbchief2
No Ban, your right the terrorist didn't kill more people than murderers may have killed in this country. It's the fact that it interups the daily lives of the average citizen. For example, said person will not use public transportation, or will forgo a trip to the mall. Thier concept may be just to kill us but it's the overall impact made within society that makes it more dangerous. Not that the deaths Don't matter but the overall state of people that could be frightened into losing rights, people too nervous to continue along with thier daily lives cause what could happen at any moment. Statistically thier may be a better chance of being killed by a dumbass in a suv, but what would be on your mind if the propane tanks in Elk Grove were acted upon?
I guess the point of what I said was that I personally will refuse to give in and forego any rights because of terrorist bullying. We cannot prevent terrorist acts completely, only curtail and reduce them. As such I will not agree with a reduction of essential liberties in order totheoretically prevent such acts.

As for the ways that terrorists could seriously disrupt our daily lives... man there's a million of them. Take out one of the dozen or so bridges on I-80 between Auburn and Reno. Take a chunk of hull out of an oil tanker in Richmond. Dump a load of hazardous material on I-5 near the Oregon border. Start a bunch of wildfires at once, watch a couple billion acres go up since we couldn't fight that much at once. I guarantee you that not only could terrorists pull off any or all of those stunts or some like them, they'd probably never get caught or even idenitfied. Hell, I thought of all those just in the time it took to type them out. Planning could be done in a couple hours, procurement in a matter of days, and execution at will.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
I guess the point of what I said was that I personally will refuse to give in and forego any rights because of terrorist bullying. We cannot prevent terrorist acts completely, only curtail and reduce them. As such I will not agree with a reduction of essential liberties in order totheoretically prevent such acts.

As for the ways that terrorists could seriously disrupt our daily lives... man there's a million of them. Take out one of the dozen or so bridges on I-80 between Auburn and Reno. Take a chunk of hull out of an oil tanker in Richmond. Dump a load of hazardous material on I-5 near the Oregon border. Start a bunch of wildfires at once, watch a couple billion acres go up since we couldn't fight that much at once. I guarantee you that not only could terrorists pull off any or all of those stunts or some like them, they'd probably never get caught or even idenitfied. Hell, I thought of all those just in the time it took to type them out. Planning could be done in a couple hours, procurement in a matter of days, and execution at will.

As long as people 'think' it's helping they'll allow it. In reality it's nearly impossible to plan for anything. how hard is it to bring a knife aboard a aircraft. I have several ceramic boker's, as well as hard plastic spikes and knives. If the same people could think for themselves they'd see what a joke some of these so called protection measures are.