Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

An Inconvenient Truth

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 11:09 AM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
An Inconvenient Truth

just watched "An Inconvenient Truth" last night. Though I have pretty much been a firm believer in the global warming issue for as long as I can remember, I thought this movie was well put together and gave me some facts I had never known before (did you know the US vehicle emissions standards are LOWER than that of China's!!!)

anyway, check it out

http://www.climatecrisis.net/findatheater/

unfortunatly its not showing in a whole lot of theatres, but I still urge yo to check it out!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:36 AM

Car Info: 2004 forester xt
did you know jet skis spew out about the same amount of emissions in 1 hour of usage vs. your average automobile does in 100,000 miles!?! i believe it is the same with most 2 stroke mobiles, including off road bikes.

Kerry favored new environmental laws which prohibited companies from making/selling such gross polluters. Bush was paid off by these corporations not to adopt such a law stating it would cost far too much to develop "new technology." why do you think so many off roaders/boaters voted Bush? the corporate backed campaigns saying that Kerry wanted to take away the off road fun...
Old 06-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX Auto with high hopes :l
Just know that you are hearing only one side of the issue with watching that movie. In some ways, worrying about global warming has raised allot of issues that have helped save allot of our environment from destruction. But, as far as worrying that we will melt or cause another ice age, very little to nothing is known, its mostly pure speculation based on statistics and computer models. I'm not a Bush supporter nor do I like offroad vehicles or gross polluters (I work in the environmental remediaton industry for god sakes), I just know what the truth is.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cohnster
But, as far as worrying that we will melt or cause another ice age, very little to nothing is known, its mostly pure speculation based on statistics and computer models.
That's exactly right, we don't know what will happen, but wouldn't it be better to err on the side of being overly cautious, than to possibly end up melting the antarctic/greenland and causing catostrophic flooding.

my .02
Old 06-26-2006, 12:55 PM

Car Info: 08 silver sti
Originally Posted by blackbus
did you know jet skis spew out about the same amount of emissions in 1 hour of usage vs. your average automobile does in 100,000 miles!?! i believe it is the same with most 2 stroke mobiles, including off road bikes.

Kerry favored new environmental laws which prohibited companies from making/selling such gross polluters. Bush was paid off by these corporations not to adopt such a law stating it would cost far too much to develop "new technology." why do you think so many off roaders/boaters voted Bush? the corporate backed campaigns saying that Kerry wanted to take away the off road fun...

that is very intresting. where did you get this info from?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX Auto with high hopes :l
Originally Posted by Keisatsu
That's exactly right, we don't know what will happen, but wouldn't it be better to err on the side of being overly cautious, than to possibly end up melting the antarctic/greenland and causing catostrophic flooding.

my .02
eh, the water that's locked in the polar ice caps wasn't always like that. The earth naturally doesn't have ice caps. Technically speaking, we are still in an ice age. Ice is still on the polar regions and Greenland is still covered by an ice sheet. If it all melted, it would only be returning to what it used to be. Just don't live so close to the ocean

BUT, yes, I do concur, erring on the side of caution is a good thing. Just because most of global warming is heresay doesn't mean we shouldn't produce cleaner burning fuels and cars and emissions should be lower, its a good idea all around.

Edit: Oh, and I'd highly suggest snapping photos of the worlds glaciers before they all melt if you want to remember them, they are OUTTA HERE!

Last edited by Grimm; 06-26-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:37 PM

yeah, my fiance and I are thinking of going to antarctica for our honeymoon... we were thinking of this: http://www.alpineascents.com/vinson.asp
Old 06-26-2006, 05:52 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
People are not causing global warming.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:23 PM

??? the link you provided has images that show in the last 200 years a dramatic rise in co2 concentrations ...

Most of the other graphs I cannot read as they aren't labeled for the layman, or im stupid.

Nearly every report EVER done on global warming has shown a dramatic spike of c02 concentrations in the last 150-200years, not normal levels found in ice cores from the last 450,000 years but much MUCH higher than that.

How can you possibly believe that all the industrial/vehicular emmisions are not changing anything?

My point is, yes "global warming" is probably a natural phenomenon. However, humans are speeding it up FAR faster and making it FAR worse than ever before.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:39 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Try this one, homey:

Originally Posted by Petite, et all, 1999
The above diagram from Petite et al, 1999 shows the results of the 2623m ice core drilled above Lake Vostok by an international consortium. While not the first it is the most convincing demonstration of climatic changes in the last half million years.
It shows four cold periods and that we are rapidly approaching the peak of a fifth interglacial. Atmospheric CO2 and CH3 closely parallel temperature but do not appear to precede it. We are approaching the peak of a global warming phase which may be expected to peak within a thousand years or so. Warming began 11,000 years ago which does not seem to altogether coincide with the northern hemisphere where the Wisconsin Ice age began at times variously given as 50,000 yrs to 125,000 yrs bp, reached a maximum at 21,000yr and began to recede rapidly at 12,000yr.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:23 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
I don't like polluting the world as much as you guys, BUT according to natural selection, if we, HUMANS, decide to cause our extinction, then it's in the best interest of the Earth. We have nothing to offer to the planet, all we do is take. Earth will do just fine and dandy without us.
If it happens, then it happens, we have no one to blame but our selves.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:30 PM

again Paul, how can you possibly believe that we aren't dramatically increasing the rate of global warming. I'm not arguing that it is not natural, I'm arguing that we are speeding up the process.

500 years ago we did not have cars, therefor we MUST be introducing unatural levels of co2 gasses, no?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:43 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
I think it's pretty self-righteous to think that us measly humans can control something as big as the earth's climate.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:45 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by Keisatsu
500 years ago we did not have cars, therefor we MUST be introducing unatural levels of co2 gasses, no?
Good point...but what's the percentage of man-made CO2 gasses compared to the natural CO2 gasses in the environment?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:57 PM

Car Info: 2008 WRX (GH)
I generally stay out of this forum, but this topic is too good to pass up. There are four separate issues that make up the global warming debate.
1) Is Earth getting warmer?
2) Is man causing it?
3) Is it a bad thing?
4) Is there anything man can do about it?

The answer to #1 is yes, but not much. Many of the so-called symptoms of global warming began before we started burning fuels. We are in a warming cycle, before the next cooling cycle starts, but the current rate of warming is not necessarily alarming at this point. The alarming part is still theoretical as of today.

#2: There is almost as much data to say that man is not causing it as man is causing it. This question is so politically charged that some of the best counterevidence does not get fair coverage. Natural evidence suggests that carbon dioxide is a lagging rather than leading indicator of warming. In other words warming might cause more carbon dioxide and not the other way around.

#3: There are bad things about global warming, and I'm sure Al is the most qualified guy to explain to us what they are. Warming has benefits as well, maybe not to oceanfront property but to growing seasons in many parts of the world. Unfortunately, the media are quick to tell us that the recent hurricane seasons are caused by global warming, when even researchers whose models suggest a relationship recognize that the natural oceanic cycles are a more dominant force.

#4: This is the most important question, because at this point there isn't much we can do about it. If the earth is already screwed up by what has been done to date, we cannot reverse it. In fact, unless everyone is ready to start living in huts and farming, we cannot really slow the rate of emissions now. The countries that signed Kyoto are already falling well short of meeting their targets, and developing countries like China and India are just going to pollute in greater amounts.

Criticize the Bush administration all you like, but the statement it released several years back - that our best strategy at this point is to learn how to adapt to global warming - is pragmatic. People don't drive cars (and jet skis) and buy goods transported from around the globe because they like to pollute. They do it because it makes for a rather nice lifestyle. Fossil fuels make us all wealthier because they enable transportation, which enables trade. The decision to curb fossil fuel consumption is the decision to live more poorly. This is pretty basic economics.

Quick Reply: An Inconvenient Truth