Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Evolution in schools?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Evolution in schools?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/11/12/ga....ap/index.html

Since we seem to have a good mix of left and right wing and some moderates I was curious what people thought of the role in evolution / creation theories in schools.

I personally think that evolution and religious beginnings should be taught while making sure to tell the kids to make up their own mind about which one they believe.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:54 PM

I think if they are going to cover creationism and creation myths of other religions, it belongs in a social studies class. A science class should sticlk to prevailing scientific theories. Which creationism is not.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:55 PM

Actually you can construct a decent argument for creationism. And even if you believe in evolution, who created evolution?
But the vast majority of scientific research supports evolution. That's what should be taught in science class for kids. Teach them the mainstream stuff, not the fringe stuff.
Creation myths belong in social science.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I agree with everything in this thread thus far. I have always believed in Darwinian theory and evolution.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:06 AM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Well said Funked1.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:09 PM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
They have to go with proof. The evidence of evolution is so strong you really can't argue against it and not look silly. I'm a god fearing person and I believe in a higher being but when our DNA is 99.9% similar to a Chimp, you can't really say anything to disprove it. They've found a number of missing links, Homo habilis, ice man, neanderthaws, also fossil dating and dinosaurs. Religion is good because it trys to make people believe in a common good and faith, but science is proof. They should keep it in school. It would be stupid in a science class to have a teacher say to us that we just appeared one day when everything we've learned points us to evolution.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Originally Posted by WRX2ndregime
They have to go with proof. The evidence of evolution is so strong you really can't argue against it and not look silly. I'm a god fearing person and I believe in a higher being but when our DNA is 99.9% similar to a Chimp, you can't really say anything to disprove it. They've found a number of missing links, Homo habilis, ice man, neanderthaws, also fossil dating and dinosaurs. Religion is good because it trys to make people believe in a common good and faith, but science is proof. They should keep it in school. It would be stupid in a science class to have a teacher say to us that we just appeared one day when everything we've learned points us to evolution.
teachers should give the known facts and let the student decide for him/herself. just like religeon, evolution"theory" has no place in a science class.College philosophy is a better choice to adress this