Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Double Standard?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Double Standard?

It's interesting that the Big three networks won't air these ads because....

Originally Posted by CBS
It went against our long-standing policy of not accepting ads that deal with issues of public controversy
....when they air controversial ads about smoking.

What does everyone think about not airing these commercials. Is it because thier scared of the FCC or other reasons.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americ...ban/index.html
Old 12-02-2004, 01:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by ericdared81

....when they air controversial ads about smoking.
They air ads that encourage the education of smoking, there are no smoking commercials that encourage the act of smoking. The only pro-smoking, tobacco advertising that's allowed is on paper.

I think this sums it up pretty much:

CBS and NBC said the spot violates their policies against running ads that take positions on matters of public controversy.
CBS, NBC and every other network is a business. They're going to do what's in their best interest for their business. If it means not airing a commercial on a controversial subject that conflicts with the interests of half their viewers' religious beliefs then I would do the same damn thing.

This isn't about putting a cancer stick to your lips and taking a puff... that type of advertising effects everyone and knows no limitations of color, creed or religion (question religion and I’ll question you based on homosexuality being biological). You're treading on very thin ice by airing a commercial like this. Fact is, CBS, NBC and everyone else doesn't owe homosexuals a goddamn thing. Period.

Find another small, risky, cutting-edge advertising company that's willing to tread on thin ice. Don't be mad at CBS and NBC for making a judgement call that could possibly jeopardize their image, ratings and company stability by letting the **** hit the fan on religion.

The dominate religion in America is Christianity, remember? Would you air a commercial on Shasta Cola when everyone loves Pepsi?
Old 12-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Dirty Redhead

I wasn't talking about pro-smoking commercials I was talking about all the "Truth" ads that they air.

It's also confusing how they will allow the commercials for the chruch of latter day saints and thier views, but when this church group tries to air a commercial showing that they will accept everyone into thier faith they deny them.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Dirty Redhead

Originally Posted by Salty
Would you air a commercial on Shasta Cola when everyone loves Pepsi?
If they paid enough money to put it on the air, yes.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
The dominate religion in America is Christianity, remember? Would you air a commercial on Shasta Cola when everyone loves Pepsi?
You said yourself that the networks were a business. If Shasta was willing to pay the same as Pepsi to air an ad, I'd happily accept money from both of them as a businessman. The ad in question is sponsored by the United Church of Christ, one of many sects of Christianity, which, as you pointed out, is the dominate religion in America.

Here's the ad, decide for yourself if it is controversial. I found it to be very bland when compared to shows like "Trading Spouses"...

www.stillspeaking.com/default
Old 12-02-2004, 02:46 PM
VIP Member

I give up... BTW, LDS is a form of Christianity.

Airing this commercial here would be like airing the 700 club in Saudi Arabia or Iran. Why do I have to spoon feed this concept to you guys?

Let me break down what they're trying to avoid:

-CBS airs pro-Homosexual commercial to a National Audience that consists of over 150,000,000 Christians. We're talking 70-75% of the United States religious population that believes in some form of Christianity alone. We haven't even scratched the surface on other religions that discourage homosexuality.

-A percentage of these religious viewer see the commercial and tell a friend about how outraged they are. It trickles down the ladder from there.

-Said viewers protest CBS and vow to never watch their broadcasts again. Other people catch wind of this and follow suit.

-Ratings drop on all the shows, people are getting laid off and Jerry Bruckheimer is pissed etc, etc.

I like to call this the "Rather Effect."

It's just really, really bad business to even consider this commercial. They're in the business of marketing entertainment to viewers and know what they want to see. They have no interest in playing the voice of opposition if it's not in their best interest... they don't owe that to anyone.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Dirty Redhead

Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
The ad in question is sponsored by the United Church of Christ, one of many sects of Christianity.
Did you not see what religion is behind this ad?

You say it will upset christians when christians are the ones who put it on the air.

Does that make sense to you?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:06 PM
VIP Member

You say it will upset christians when christians are the ones who put it on the air.

It doesn't matter what they call themselves at this point!

I could create and package my own religion overnight, worship the flies on cow ****, have abortion hanger swapmeets and dub it “New Islam.” Who cares!

A large majority of Christians and other religious denominations still don't recognize the bond between the same sex. It's doesn't matter if this group calls themselves the "Sacred followers of the Old Testament", "Warriors of Christ" or "United Church of Christ."

Last edited by Salty; 12-02-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:52 PM

I give up... BTW, LDS is a form of Christianity.

Airing this commercial here would be like airing the 700 club in Saudi Arabia or Iran. Why do I have to spoon feed this concept to you guys?
-Said viewers protest CBS and vow to never watch their broadcasts again. Other people catch wind of this and follow suit.
It's just really, really bad business to even consider this commercial. They're in the business of marketing entertainment to viewers and know what they want to see. They have no interest in playing the voice of opposition if it's not in their best interest... they don't owe that to anyone.
First off, we do not live in Iran or Saudi. Second, I've heard Christains threaten not to watch television because of beer commercials, and LDS commercials. They still do, and will continue to do so. Finally, if the networks were really concerned about appealing to the religious right and not offending them with homosexuality, don't you think their programming might reflect that? Think about it - you have shows like "Trading Spouses" and "Will & Grace" on the air. Hell, even Cheers was set in a bar!

I learned in Sunday school that Jesus hung out with prostitutes and corrupt tax collectors. Real Christians would not be offended by brothers and sisters making "sinners" feel welcome. In fact, the Bible says all have sinned and none are saved except by the sacrifice of Christ.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:56 PM

I did not say that it would upset Christians, did I?
Old 12-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Dirty Redhead

Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
I did not say that it would upset Christians, did I?
That was aimed at salty.